Jump to content

ONRUSH - A New Breed of Arcade Action


Rushy
 Share

Recommended Posts

Personally I think people need to try and stop focusing on what the game isn't and give it a chance for what it's trying to achieve.

Im not saying don't be disappointed it's not another Motorstorm but likewise don't automatically write it off because it's not either.

 

It's biggest hurdle by far will be its learning curve for the scoring/modes but once you get a proper feel for each gamemode it does offer some genuinely enthralling arcade gameplay... with some proper down to the wire results.

 

I too yearn for another "traditional" arcade racer like NFS Hot Pursuit and Burnout.. but in the meantime I'm looking forward to many fun hours spent with this.

42273551662_1fd50747a7_o.png

 

and @Simmy nope no start/finish lines in any of the game modes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, U-1 said:

Personally I think people need to try and stop focusing on what the game isn't and give it a chance for what it's trying to achieve.

Im not saying don't be disappointed it's not another Motorstorm but likewise don't automatically write it off because it's not either.

 

It's biggest hurdle by far will be its learning curve for the scoring/modes but once you get a proper feel for each gamemode it does offer some genuinely enthralling arcade gameplay... with some proper down to the wire results.

 

I too yearn for another "traditional" arcade racer like NFS Hot Pursuit and Burnout.. but in the meantime I'm looking forward to many fun hours spent with this.

42273551662_1fd50747a7_o.png

 

and @Simmy nope no start/finish lines in any of the game modes. 

 

Agree. I think this is quite the departure of what has gone before. Problem is this can be a risky strategy as people like what the know and are bit resistant to radical change sometimes. However without dev teams trying new stuff we never get any change... so fair play to the dev team and I hope it pays off.

 

Personally happy its not a traditional "racer" because well we've had soooo many games where its just a race to get to first place. Perhaps as mentioned earlier in the thread this could trigger a new sub genre. Happy to embrace and try something new... however just not in June as I won't be near a screen that much.. bah.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, U-1 said:

Personally I think people need to try and stop focusing on what the game isn't and give it a chance for what it's trying to achieve.

Im not saying don't be disappointed it's not another Motorstorm but likewise don't automatically write it off because it's not either.

 

It's biggest hurdle by far will be its learning curve for the scoring/modes but once you get a proper feel for each gamemode it does offer some genuinely enthralling arcade gameplay... with some proper down to the wire results.

 

I too yearn for another "traditional" arcade racer like NFS Hot Pursuit and Burnout.. but in the meantime I'm looking forward to many fun hours spent with this.

42273551662_1fd50747a7_o.png

 

and @Simmy nope no start/finish lines in any of the game modes. 

 

It really is like people focusing on the lack of respawns in PUBG.

 

this is trying to do something completely different. I’m willing to see if it is able to make a good game of the concept.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MeanElf said:

Indeed, but that's just the Twitter account bio - limited character space and all that - do people really get their info from things like that? 

...

Odd times we live in.

 

It's effectively a headline, an advertisement with a picture next to it. It's how advertising has worked since its inception, there's literally nothing odd about people making an impression based on that alone, that's the whole idea of it and is why your message is important. It's the same on the main website title:

 

Screenshot_2018-05-24-17-10-32.png.0ba33a6f9c0f64d93ae024915324eaf9.png

 

Someone thinking "it's an arcade racer" and assuming that means it's in the style they've always known isn't a surprise in the slightest, its the first thing being put in their head and they've been given no reason to think otherwise at that point, the headline message is "all-action arcade racer" which you could easily apply to describe Burnout, Motorstorm, Ridge Racer and more. 

 

Thing is, a very simple rewording could easily change that impression so as a result you'd have to blame the marketing rather than strange behaviour on the part of the consumer for any wrong ideas.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mores the case if that dev has only been known for racing games. Not that the GP will know that - but the mags and media they read will.

 

And to be fair...everyone knows Codemasters as a racing publisher (although in my day, when this was all fields, they did robin hood style platform simulators :blah:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, stefcha said:

It's effectively a headline, an advertisement with a picture next to it. It's how advertising has worked since its inception, there's literally nothing odd about people making an impression based on that alone, that's the whole idea of it and is why your message is important. It's the same on the main website title:

Thus ignoring the rest of what I said. Sorry, you cannot be seriously advocating the Twitter bio of Onrush as a binding contract or such? What happened to people checking into what a game might actually entail?

 

I mean, a rally game is classed as racing, yet you only run TTs against other competitor/players times (unless you are playing a Milestone game and get ghosts of the other MP players to race against.) So yep, it's an arcade racer that has no finish line. I understand many people aren't keen on change, as @MattyP suggested, maybe wanting an updated Motorstorm might have been a safe option - in essence, this isn't that far from that, having as lot of the same elements. Like it or leave it, it's as simple as that and if people haven't checked into what the game is about when there is enough info out there...then I feel justified in my observation.

 

Interested in the simple rewording by the way, what would you suggest? I've done a fair amount of advertising work in my time and it's anything but simple.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, MeanElf said:

Thus ignoring the rest of what I said. Sorry, you cannot be seriously advocating the Twitter bio of Onrush as a binding contract or such? What happened to people checking into what a game might actually entail?

 

That's because it was irrelevant as to whether you think people should seek more info regardless or not, I was pointing out what's front and centre in more than one place (you're the one that's solely focusing on a twitter bio for some reason) and it's not the ideal wording to have there. Different messaging could even encourage people checking into what's new and different about it, rather than making what's clearly an incorrect assumption based on a quick scan of a few words they're familiar with. Pretty basic psychology, really.

 

8 minutes ago, MeanElf said:

Interested in the simple rewording by the way, what would you suggest? I've done a fair amount of advertising work in my time and it's anything but simple.

 

The title of this topic is better just as one example, and in fact was changed to that as a direct response to the same issue. There are several ways you could do the same, even with just a few words to make people think "oh hang on, it might not be what I would expect, I'll find out why" rather than "arcade racer, great I know what they are already". It's really not that difficult to remove the generality in this instance, or rather to direct the expectation differently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23 May 2018 at 08:30, Mars said:

 

:quote:

Sorry, what is this even supposed to mean? It's a racing game.. It's an arcade racing game. You're racing to score points, via takedowns, near misses, jumps, boosting. 

 

What is so hard to understand? Because it isn't a lapped based racer with a finish line means it's not a racing game? Gamers these days are so bizarre. We are being served up one of the most adrenaline pumping, intense, fun filled moment to moment arcade style racers in years, and all most can do is complain it doesn't have a finish line. Well it's your loss, all I know is that come June 5th I will be playing one of the best games released this year so far, and without doubt a stellar arcade racer worthy of sitting amongst the very best of the genre

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Akira said:

Sorry, what is this even supposed to mean? It's a racing game.. It's an arcade racing game. You're racing to score points, via takedowns, near misses, jumps, boosting. 

 

What is so hard to understand? Because it isn't a lapped based racer with a finish line means it's not a racing game? Gamers these days are so bizarre. We are being served up one of the most adrenaline pumping, intense, fun filled moment to moment arcade style racers in years, and all most can do is complain it doesn't have a finish line. Well it's your loss, all I know is that come June 5th I will be playing one of the best games released this year so far, and without doubt a stellar arcade racer worthy of sitting amongst the very best of the genre

 

Yeah. I also dislike when people make points about things like "racing games" that assume that the term actually means what it has always been widely accepted to mean, as opposed to some strained redefinition.

Super Mario Brothers, classic racing game. You're racing to get to the flag before the time runs out, scoring points via jumping on enemies and collecting coins.

Another of my favourite racing games is any online fps that has a timer or some sort of set number of kills to work towards.

I'm currently playing the little known Japan only PS2 racing game "Boku No Natsuyasumi 2" aka My Summer Holiday 2. A race against the clock where the player, as a young boy spending a month with some relatives in the countryside must race to experience as much as they can during the set time limit.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, elmo said:

 

It really is like people focusing on the lack of respawns in PUBG.

 

this is trying to do something completely different. I’m willing to see if it is able to make a good game of the concept.

 

Although no, it's more like people being sold PUBG as a single player story driven adventure in all the adverts and then booting it up to find it's PUBG.

 

And then someone pops up on a forum to say "What is this even supposed to mean, it's a story game, the story of how you and your multiplayer squad fight to take down the other humans"

 

Speaking of...

 

 

4 hours ago, Akira said:

Sorry, what is this even supposed to mean? It's a racing game.. It's an arcade racing game. You're racing to score points, via takedowns, near misses, jumps, boosting. 

 

It's literally not racing by the way most human beings understand it.  That doesn't make it bad of course but I think people are going to be buying it expecting something it's not given the marketing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I took a last minute punt on Dirt 4 digital at £55 the night before it released. Despite the internet and here telling me it was very samey and lacked content it was my personal GOTY 2017. Based purely on my love of the series and a willingness to support one of the last great British racing producers. I did the same with F12017. I'm not convinced I will do the same with this yet. If it was £40 or £45 probably but £55 or £65 is actually off putting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/05/2018 at 23:44, stefcha said:

...you're the one that's solely focusing on a twitter bio for some reason...

That would be because you posted precisely that up first and (I thought) had posted it up again in the post I was replying to - I realise now that it was a phone version of the website (I don't have that kind of phone, never had as I use a laptop, so it just looked like a detail from the Twitter account) - my mistake.

 

As to the apparent irrelevance of my other comments to the point - citing a Q&A designed specifically to address the shift in emphasis and also pointing out that finding the info wasn't hard, even for one such as myself who doesn't rely on other folks for info: that wasn't relevant? Hi-ho.

 

I reiterate here, there are a number of things out there which are classed as racing yet get none of this grief, rally being one, as I already said (without anyone kicking up a fuss,) Mario Kart, another which focuses on other ways of being competitive, as has been said by others here - and in the 'arcade racer' sub-genre there are many others, drifting being  another example. I dunno, it just seems like a lot of noise about nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, MeanElf said:

I reiterate here, there are a number of things out there which are classed as racing yet get none of this grief, rally being one as I already said (without anyone kicking up a fuss,) Mario Kart, another which focuses on other ways of being competitive, as has been said by others here - and in the 'arcade racer' sub-genre there are many others, drifting being  another example. I dunno, it just seems like a lot of noise about nothing.

 

Was going to post something very similar. 

It has vehicles where you race to checkpoints in Countdown mode, race to dominate territory in the king of the hill style mode, have winners and losers in each event type (with 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc rankings per team). The only thing you don't have is a start finish line which makes this whole perceived issue of it being called a "racer" a bit weird. 

 

I'd find it much more confusing if it was classed an Arcade "Action" game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Akira said:

Sorry, what is this even supposed to mean? It's a racing game.. It's an arcade racing game. You're racing to score points, via takedowns, near misses, jumps, boosting. 

 

What is so hard to understand? Because it isn't a lapped based racer with a finish line means it's not a racing game? Gamers these days are so bizarre. We are being served up one of the most adrenaline pumping, intense, fun filled moment to moment arcade style racers in years, and all most can do is complain it doesn't have a finish line. Well it's your loss, all I know is that come June 5th I will be playing one of the best games released this year so far, and without doubt a stellar arcade racer worthy of sitting amongst the very best of the genre

 

It was a joke mate.

 

I enjoyed the beta and will be picking it up on launch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting though, the extent to which a semantic discussion is skewing so many feelings towards the same shared experience.

 

As said upstream I've a feeling I will come back to this when I see teams, strategies and burgeoning metagame taking shape.

 

It's a MORBA, I reckon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MeanElf said:

That would be because you posted precisely that up first and (I thought) had posted it up again in the post I was replying to - I realise now that it was a phone version of the website (I don't have that kind of phone, never had as I use a laptop, so it just looked like a detail from the Twitter account) - my mistake.

 

It's literally the website title, it's the same no matter how you view it regardless of platform and browser and if you search for Onrush it's the first thing you're presented with, anywhere. 

 

1 hour ago, MeanElf said:

As to the apparent irrelevance of my other comments to the point - citing a Q&A designed specifically to address the shift in emphasis and also pointing out that finding the info wasn't hard, even for one such as myself who doesn't rely on other folks for info: that wasn't relevant? Hi-ho.

 

Again, well done you, but you were questioning with surprise as to why anyone wouldn't be aware that it's a game that's quite a shift from the norm and I was just pointing out how it's understandable that people might not think they need to find out more, because the initial words they see doesn't enforce that it is; quite the opposite. I can't explain why people wouldn't be naturally inquisitive anyway - I guess they're just idiots with no attention span - but welcome to the modern information age I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, VN1X said:

Semantics: The Thread :P

 

I don't think it is simply semantics - you've got a load of people on a gaming forum arguing about what it may or may not be, you've had somebody from the development team correcting the misunderstanding of several of us that it isn't solely online and has a sizeable single player component and its heading out to find its way into the world at £40-50 in a weeks time in a very tough marketplace for new IP.

 

Taking aside any qualitative judgements on whether the game is good or not I'd say that the message for prospective buyers beyond those who were sold right from the off, and were buying anyway, has been a bit confused and isn't landing with the prospective buyers cleanly.

 

Rushy himself said how useful the beta was in terms of technical tweaks and fixes they can make - I'd say this thread also has some value in it about what their marketing dept should be focussing on to get a message out there regarding the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, stefcha said:

It's literally the website title, it's the same no matter how you view it regardless of platform and browser and if you search for Onrush it's the first thing you're presented with, anywhere. 

Are you so sure of that? This is what I see when going to the official ONRUSH site - quite different really.

 

Not trying to score points here, as you seem to think - merely asking why there is such a fuss about a game that redefines a genre; also why people don't check when all we appear to hear in this entitled age, is complaints about game or series that has changes. Given that amount of noise on the web at any given time (just look at the stupidity-storm surrounding Battlefield V having a woman on the cover) I'd have thought checking up on something might have been more prevalent than I'd assumed.

ONRUSH site.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MeanElf said:

Are you so sure of that? This is what I see when going to the official ONRUSH site - quite different really.

 

Fucking hell :facepalm:  It is quite different, because that's the front page of the website. It's not the website title, it's not whats returned in any search result. I'm not intending to be patronising here, but I'm referring to this sort of thing:

 

 

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=onrush

 

In addition to the other things, the initial title of this thread, the twitter bio and other instances I can't even be bothered to go find.

 

 

1 minute ago, MeanElf said:

Not trying to score points here, as you seem to think - merely asking why there is such a fuss about a game that redefines a genre;

 

People don't like not getting what they're expecting, and in this case it's clear to see people were expecting something more traditional and that's largely based on the simple, basic headline description of "arcade racer" and their preconception of what that should be (see threads on reddit, other gaming forums and so on). I'm not suggesting you have to like it, I'm merely explaining how it is because you couldn't get your head around how people wouldn't realise it was something a bit different. 

 

 

1 minute ago, MeanElf said:

also why people don't check when all we appear to hear in this entitled age, is complaints about game or series that has changes. 

 

Because, and we're back to the start here, because they've been told it's an all-action arcade racer and they know what one of those is so why should they check to see if it's not actually that at all and I'm losing the will to live to be honest. It's just how people's minds work. No wonder you found advertising hard ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh hi.

 

Not sure why the details matter when it's quite obvious Codies have a 'Wii U' on their hands here.

This needs very loud and clear messaging. Otherwise the visual shorthand of 'vehicles' will not do the game any favours no matter how you spin those details, or how good the actual game is.

 

You can't expect people to anticipate beef when you present them a fish. People are that stupid (me included judging by my beta experiences).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, stefcha said:

 

Fucking hell :facepalm:  It is quite different, because that's the front page of the website. It's not the website title, it's not whats returned in any search result. I'm not intending to be patronising here, but I'm referring to this sort of thing:

 

 

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=onrush

 

 

If I follow your link, the first thing I get is an extract from Wikipedia saying

Quote

Onrush is an upcoming vehicular combat game developed by Codemasters and published by Deep Silver for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/05/2018 at 13:23, stefcha said:

Fucking hell :facepalm:  It is quite different, because that's the front page of the website. It's not the website title, it's not whats returned in any search result. I'm not intending to be patronising here, but I'm referring to this sort of thing:

I've never heard of anyone who just skims a Google search result list and gleans their info from that alone without-actually-fucking-clicking-the-links - no wonder I didn't see what you were getting at.

 

Oh, and by the way I didn't find advertising hard - very basic and puerile to be honest; I merely said it wasn't that simple.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well if people don't read up on something before buying it then well isn't it their problem?

 

Although to be fair these days games often get released before they are reviewed however surely if you are spending £40-50 on a game you'd want to know if its something you would enjoy and know all the details?!

 

Although I think "Racer" shouldn't really be used on this - it implies you are in a race and there is an end point (finish line) especially in the context of vehicle based games with tracks...

 

It will interesting to see how this reviews TBH...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

If I follow your link, the first thing I get is an extract from Wikipedia saying 

 

Regardless of whether you do or not - and I'm surprised the Onrush website isn't the first result - that Wikipedia entry was newly updated to that description only five or so days ago anyway.

 

19 minutes ago, MeanElf said:

I've never heard of anyone who just skims a Google search result list and gleans their info from that alone without-actually-fucking-clicking-the-links - no wonder I didn't see what you were getting at.  

 

I know you haven't, I was just giving you some reasoning behind how that sort of thinking could easily have come to pass. And again, it's not just that narrow and specific just one of several areas but where it was - and in cases still is - effectively a headline statement.

 

6 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Well if people don't read up on something before buying it then well isn't it their problem?

 

I'd say so, yeah. But will that stop such people instantly whinging on the internet because they felt they were promised an arcade racer and didn't get what they expected for their fifty quid? Doubt it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.