ONRUSH - A New Breed of Arcade Action

Rushy

28 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

I interpreted it to work out as the person with the highest score when the timer runs out or a finish line is reached is the winner.

Well, there is that as well...but to get those points, you need to perform tricks and takedowns.

What sort of spawn logic does fodder have? So as not to penalise the ‘leader’ it must be proximity-based to an extent (minus volume), and so I'm wondering what happens if higher scores are achievable from collective no-race exploits.

12 hours ago, Escaped said:

What sort of spawn logic does fodder have? So as not to penalise the ‘leader’ it must be proximity-based to an extent (minus volume), and so I'm wondering what happens if higher scores are achievable from collective no-race exploits.

There's a series of rules and mode specific logic that dictates where the fodder spawn to ensure there is the right balance for all players and we heavily use telemetry and analytics to measure our KPI's.

It's also important to note that fodder don't 'directly' score you any points, they're just there to fuel your boost.

Legit question, did this get called Onrush so Rushy could shoehorn his nickname into the title? :P

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out, there's some interesting ideas, and in gameplay terms it's like taking the smashy bits of MotorStorm and having it take centre stage, and the combat was always a good laugh in MotorStorm. 

PS Can you punch from bikes or do you have to smash your bike into stuff? Have you made bikes "unrealistically" beefy so they can hold up in a fight? Because if the primary focus of the game isn't speed, what's the benefit to being on a bike?

On 10/04/2018 at 16:46, Rushy said:

There's a series of rules and mode specific logic that dictates where the fodder spawn to ensure there is the right balance for all players

If fodder and markers and ramps and whatnot are acting as pull-along mechanics to shape momentum (herds of wildebeest), and leaders aren't able to vanish for clean wins, are you not worried that it might devolve into lots of bash-happy lotteries in an otherwise trad-racing format? Has playtesting prompted any big changes there?

I'm curious about rubberbanding if there's a pile-up that turns into a shuntfest with one or two trying to stay ahead. Situations like that. I really didn't like how GTA5's rubberbanding allowed worse players to catch up from miles behind, especially with the ease of spinning others out near the end of races.

Destruction Derby's racing was okay against AI (just about), but with a field of humans online... It's not hard to imagine a gridlocked crossroads and about half the pack reversing!

That's what I had in mind (and Smuggler's Run, as parra mentioned), but it's so hard to implement further objectives that aren't just annoying busywork. Twisted Metal (the PS3 one) fell over itself trying to revamp combat racing. Too many hooks...?

I also got to give it a good run at Rezzed. It's a very solid and great fun driving game that looks, plays and sounds fantastic.

The arcade racing space is open for Onrush and I think they may just nail it. 

Yep. Played it at Rezzed. I don’t think I’ve been this excited for a game I’ve played at an expo since Titanfall.

It click immediately. A hell of a lot of fun throughout and the last round we played was incredible. 1-1 playing for the match we were down 20s-5s but managed to pull together. I got a couple of Onrush boosts and took about 5 people out. In the end we won with only 2 seconds on the clock.

it feels like a combination of Motorstorm, Burnout and most importantly SSX.

it has that slightly out of control (due to the speed you’re travelling at) micro adjustments at the last moment feeling of SSX not to mention the music and aesthetic.

I’m so pumped for this. It was funny because I was chatting to some of the team after our first session and we all seemed to enter fan boy mode just chatting about the game for a while.

Day One.

Arcade driving games are so rare, that I’m not even bothered about it not being on the switch. 

I miss the the days of split/second, pure, burnout paradise etc being released and not just spoddy racers for car nerds. Hopefully this is the start of a resurgence for the genre. 

Can. Not. Wait. 

• 2 weeks later...