rllmuk
Fargo

Ghost of Tsushima - New Sucker Punch IP

I thought this might have been Onimusha at first, but no it's a new PS4 exclusive from Sucker Punch. Open world set in feudal Japan. 

• Upvote 3

Would've loved to see some gameplay, but things was really stunning stuff - I was convinced this was either Onimusha or From's new game, but as it's Sucker Punch I'll reserve some judgement.

Agree would have liked some gameplay footage, hopefully at PSX in December?

I'm glad Sucker Punch are working on a new IP though & not an infamous sequel.

• Upvote 1

Would like to have seen gameplay like everyone else, but just knowing Sucker Punch are producing a new, big budget IP that seems to be single player focused is great news.

Hopefully this'll be more Sly Cooper and less InFamous.

• Upvote 2

Nice to see a straight historical game without myth/scifi stuff.

So many games from Japan about its history seem to have fully adopted the full list of tropes of jidaigeki/chambara and devolved into outright pastiche - I mean how many games have we had that have been "Sengoku but with youkai?" Most of them, I'd say. Onimusha, Nioh, the "famous battles that actually took place in ancient Japan with giant enemy crabs" Genji, basically all the Japanese setting musou ones.

I guess this sounds like I'm going "ah, finally the foreigners are going to get it right", but it's really more marvelling that this seems a good way of creating a game about Japanese history that appeals to the West - which has traditionally been a hard sell due to lack of familiarity. I think the most successful game about any asian culture was the WoW panda one, and that was also their least popular and worst selling.

This is grounded, it doesn't have the stock five anime personality types who are also voiced by Idols, or a female ninja whose clothes get damaged in battle. And the subject matter (a pivotal battle against a foreign army) seems more easily understood than the Sengoku's internal battles over culture.

Hmm, considering I like Sucker Punch mostly for their vertical antics, I find myself curiously wondering how vertical feudal Japan can get.

Samurai turned shinobi sounds promising though.

48 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Hmm, considering I like Sucker Punch mostly for their vertical antics, I find myself curiously wondering how vertical feudal Japan can get.

Samurai turned shinobi sounds promising though.

None more vertical and feudal and Japanese than... wait for it.. Tenchu. So I'm assuming (hoping) that this is somehow an open world Tenchu with elements of Way of the Samurai thrown in :)

• Upvote 3

The world looks great graphically and they have chosen a really interesting historical period, but I do have reservations about Sucker Punch's ability to produce a satisfying stealth action game. The combat is going to have to be much better than the Infamous games which relied on OTT super powers to be interesting.

• Upvote 1

This might be Sucker Punch coming of age in the same way that Guerrilla Games did with Horizon. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

So did Seattle in Second Son, yet that turned out to be full of the most uninspired gameplay in an open world yet.

Mate you're mad! Second Son was excellent

• Empathy 2

I really enjoyed Second Son. Lots of busywork but the speed with which you can zip around the city made it fun. Constant little diversions as you zip around with the fun traversal systems. 

• Upvote 3

E3 Gameplay Trailer, hoping for a 2019 release

• Upvote 1

Watched that this morning. They've nicked wholesale the fear takedowns from Arkham Knight (or were those nicked from another game again?). It looks good, but the animation is off. From's game looks better, but I'll be keeping an eye on this. 

This looks a bit janky in places, but fuck, dat atmosphere man! 

Interest defo piqued!