Ghost of Tsushima - New Sucker Punch IP

It just builds and builds and BUILDS and 

Spoiler

then the music hits this fucking awesome crescendo as you cut through the Mongols in Ghost Stance after decapitating the General and they are running for their lives. The cut scene after it with Jin, Taka and Yura rallying the Yarikawa people was great aswell. 

Pair that with this being the first full story mission where I had Lethal mode on and its elevated this even further. Easily a GOTY contender for me!

• Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

It just builds and builds and BUILDS and 

Reveal hidden contents

then the music hits this fucking awesome crescendo as you cut through the Mongols in Ghost Stance after decapitating the General and they are running for their lives. The cut scene after it with Jin, Taka and Yura rallying the Yarikawa people was great aswell. 

Pair that with this being the first full story mission where I had Lethal mode on and its elevated this even further. Easily a GOTY contender for me!

Yeah that bit brought a big old smile to my face too. Brilliant

Something about the arrows feels unbelievably good and satisfying in this. Nailing a guy with a head shot is just awesome. I don't know what they did to cause that but I love it. 

On 21/07/2020 at 17:12, petrolgirls said:

I get Tenchu vibes in places - particularly when you unlock a particular device a little later, thought that might be of interest to a man such as yourself, Gerbik.

Oooh. OOOOOH:wub::ph34r:

Edit: I also unlocked a Thief's Mask st the same time so it's perfect. :D

• Upvote 2

On said decide. I would really like for it to be usable more often. There are some areas where it’s not really scripted for it to be used but are crying out for Jin to have more freedom with it as he moves about the village, settlement, etc. 

Also, moving into dreamland territory now but can imagine it being used as a FUCKING WEAPON :omg: yes, it would potentially compromise the incredibly well balanced core combat but it would be absolutely incredible as a tool during combat.

Anyone else find the hold triangle attacks rather useless? They take too long to charge.

Also, playing on lethal, I've been instakilled by arrows with no audio callout. :(

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

Anyone else find the hold triangle attacks rather useless? They take too long to charge.

Also, playing on lethal, I've been instakilled by arrows with no audio callout. :(

I use them all the time . The stone stance thrust is a beauty , as is the water shield bash followed by 4 slashes . The only one I don’t bother with is the kick with the water stance . 

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

At the end of Yarikawa with a particular fight I found it absolutely essential. Timing has to be spot on after a dodge rather than a parry or block but the fully upgraded shield one especially works a treat. Then Stone / Sword stance has what is usually a one hit kill, which I have ended up using to finish off most of my duels.

I think the trick is you don't actually need to hold it very long so the length of time that general muscle memory attributes to a HOLD move is actually less than you need.

I've started using lots of things that on Hard I just never needed to whip out, so absolutely every technique, tool and combo is on show. Like the delayed quick attack where you can hold square and at the end of the attack Jin holds his stance and when you release its a powerful spinning move. The DoW technique has also got me out of jail several times when I have ran out of smoke bombs (also known as smoke assassination triggers :) ). Again, the DoW was something I just never had to use on Hard and if I did it was just to look good, whereas now its saving my life.

Update 1.05 lets you change the subtitle colour and turn off the name of the person talking.

Switched to yellow subs and it reminds me of my old skool anime watching days.

• Upvote 1

Managed to get Heavenly Strike on only my second attempt on lethal, one of the earlier parts of that quest was much harder because I hadn't unlocked certain stances and techniques.

I’m always using the heavy moves as @MardiganX says they’re essential especially the shield damaging one, you just need to time it right, get the exact space you need to charge it up and hit their shield. Also don’t sleep on the kick it’s actually really bloody useful if you are getting crowded as it removes the enemy from the fight and if you have the upgraded kick they get stunned too. Also it’s fucking hilarious watching them fly in the air! Still not bored of the game and lethal mode is awesome. 

I find the charge up really useful for taking out beefier enemies as long as you can find a moment where they're staggered or out of breath or something. It's situational though. 

The combat has this lovely almost tactical element to it and it's easily the best melee combat I've ever played in an open world game, reviews I read really undersold this element, making it sound like just a slightly more polished version of Assassins Creed combat (guess they must have played on medium). Those guys with the big tower shields are kind of like something from a soulsborne really. 

They don't need to be staggered or out of breath you just need to space correctly, so if a shield guy is rushing you take a couple of steps back from where you were when he started his charge and hold triangle, when you release he will be in the hitting zone and you will break his defence. This even works on the big guys but the spacing is a little different. I agree @deerokus this is easily the best combat in an open world game by far it's great.

• Upvote 1

So after spending two hours digging what I can only describe as a Triffid out of my front garden Monday my back was (still is) in absolute agony last night so I pretty much sat / perched on the edge of the sofa doing random side missions last night. 

Don't know where the 4 hours went but I also did the main Yarikawa story mission so am now a lethal bad ass.

Not sure if the above makes total sense, the painkillers I'm on are very strong!!

I just finished act 1 last night but am a little concerned that there's not going to be much to unlock/level going forward. I don't want to go into spoiler territory but I don't suppose the 3 upgrade trees open up in new ways somehow do they?

32 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I reckon that bear surprised 90% of people on that mission; it certainly gave me a pounding. Pounded in the ass by my surprisingly uncaged bear.

BelatedWhiteChital-max-1mb.gif

• Upvote 6

I was ready for that bear. 

I let him out of the cage, then legged it to the safety of a ladder. I then chucked a wind chime to draw the enemies out of the room and watched the carnage unfold.

• Upvote 1

The thing I find most revolutionary about this game is the bloody loading times! Like, once that initial load is complete (not sure how long that is, but it doesn't feel exceptionally long versus, say, GTA V) you can fast travel and respawn unusually quickly. It really frees you up to explore further away from where you currently are.

• Upvote 3

"Go somewhere safe , I'll see what I can do" translates to I will slaughter everyone in my path.

All samurai trees maxed out .All 4 stances the same. About 6 ghost ones to unlock. Rocking in fully upgraded Ronin threads. Mandatory straw hat.

On chapter 2 still not started any main gold missions.  Still enjoying this. The scenery is stunning at times. As everyone has said SP have absolutely nailed the combat . 

Further in the mobs seem to be bigger now. More archers and some that love throwing Mongolian flash bangs.

• Upvote 2
55 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

The thing I find most revolutionary about this game is the bloody loading times! Like, once that initial load is complete (not sure how long that is, but it doesn't feel exceptionally long versus, say, GTA V) you can fast travel and respawn unusually quickly. It really frees you up to explore further away from where you currently are.

It was mentioned earlier but its the loading screen 'tips' that really shows this off. They must have been chuckling to themselves when they put the 'next tip' option on there :lol: