E6C14DA8-1808-4FDA-8BE9-E6CAC69F9019.jpeg.4ff8c109ea534680339a1485c4e74d7f.jpeg

2A8F8B1A-CEC1-4F4B-AAF2-0DD112FFF8DD.jpeg.af46a1be46c6a0dc6739a04c9d8e14f6.jpeg

02E9B452-5E81-4312-A010-1E52EC7C2D9D.jpeg.1f24d1ee696e3dbd68e0e5a613fcbfd3.jpeg

3119044C-8EB6-496B-91E4-DADC8BBD67E9.jpeg.c391a494e85139d5e1d585ed4fd00973.jpeg

81F09D4B-157D-4081-801E-3CFE87C2AC43.jpeg.ea58beb66d9206c65f8d874bb260d233.jpeg

73BEF130-CA26-4938-B865-A4BCA5357AEA.jpeg.aa7e734e774eba6808748650a928cee8.jpeg

007484E9-3FD0-4E02-B199-5A0B9CEAB26F.jpeg.0fc9904ec80ac14d5a367b32f92d7f4b.jpeg

DE3C6C86-ACF8-4831-A057-4311474DDC66.jpeg.a47b3657a375230e4530e247b2e5748e.jpeg

Photos spoilered due to some Act II hints :) 

This is without doubt the greatest looking game ever made IMO. Its like next gen now and as difficult as it is for me to say this, that was something that LoU2 only achieved on some very specific occasions, whereas with Ghost I can be simply riding across a field and be like :blink:       :wub:

• Upvote 4

Is the game doable from the start with this 'lethal mode' thing? I tend to prefer my open world games with brutal twists like this. For example I played Dead Rising 3 on Nightmare mode straight away, and whacked Days Gone straight onto Survival mode. I find it adds a much-needed edge to bog-standard icon-clearing games.

1 hour ago, MardiganX said:
  Hide contents

62731B10-7D1E-4718-B031-F62E44BE6F23.jpeg.53d2e0a8c3a6f9396c9160930bb9f2f8.jpeg

E6C14DA8-1808-4FDA-8BE9-E6CAC69F9019.jpeg.4ff8c109ea534680339a1485c4e74d7f.jpeg

2A8F8B1A-CEC1-4F4B-AAF2-0DD112FFF8DD.jpeg.af46a1be46c6a0dc6739a04c9d8e14f6.jpeg

02E9B452-5E81-4312-A010-1E52EC7C2D9D.jpeg.1f24d1ee696e3dbd68e0e5a613fcbfd3.jpeg

3119044C-8EB6-496B-91E4-DADC8BBD67E9.jpeg.c391a494e85139d5e1d585ed4fd00973.jpeg

81F09D4B-157D-4081-801E-3CFE87C2AC43.jpeg.ea58beb66d9206c65f8d874bb260d233.jpeg

73BEF130-CA26-4938-B865-A4BCA5357AEA.jpeg.aa7e734e774eba6808748650a928cee8.jpeg

007484E9-3FD0-4E02-B199-5A0B9CEAB26F.jpeg.0fc9904ec80ac14d5a367b32f92d7f4b.jpeg

DE3C6C86-ACF8-4831-A057-4311474DDC66.jpeg.a47b3657a375230e4530e247b2e5748e.jpeg

Photos spoilered due to some Act II hints :) 

This is without doubt the greatest looking game ever made IMO. Its like next gen now and as difficult as it is for me to say this, that was something that LoU2 only achieved on some very specific occasions, whereas with Ghost I can be simply riding across a field and be like :blink:       :wub:

It has very nice art direction, but I don't think it looks anywhere near as technically impressive as TLoU2, which had consistent attention to detail on a level unlike anything we've ever seen before. Ghost of Tsushima has nice lighting and pretty settings.

46 minutes ago, Pob said:

Is the game doable from the start with this 'lethal mode' thing? I tend to prefer my open world games with brutal twists like this. For example I played Dead Rising 3 on Nightmare mode straight away, and whacked Days Gone straight onto Survival mode. I find it adds a much-needed edge to bog-standard icon-clearing games.

Absolutely. Dont get me wrong though, you are likely to die, a lot, until you get a grip of the defensive side of things but if anything it will encourage you to use all your techniques and tricks a lot more as soon as you get them rather than retrospectively, like I am doing since I bumped it up to Lethal during Act II.

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

It has very nice art direction, but I don't think it looks anywhere near as technically impressive as TLoU2, which had consistent attention to detail on a level unlike anything we've ever seen before. Ghost of Tsushima has nice lighting and pretty settings.

'Technically' I agree LoU 2 has some elements to it that are ground breaking, especially in the animation and some of the really tailored set piece areas. But for pure overall aesthetic beauty Ghost is miles ahead of anything I have ever played. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, CarloOos said:

I agree. I am generally impressed with the engine and how well it runs -that feels kinda like next gen- but the world is not overly complex in any way. In terms of technical accomplishment and detail, LoUII is on another level. Artistically speaking I think the LoUII is also more interesting for me.

Tsushima is great for postcards and desktops but its world has neither the complexity or emotional depth as the one in LoUII. I have spoilered some LoUII pictures from a friend to make my point. Apologies if it is considered out of topic - tell me and I'll take them out.

Spoiler

DDvOBQY.jpg

yrozaie.jpg

dTL8tsW.jpg

IbjTtku.jpg

Dp08del.jpg

XKPvshP.jpg

o8gxB8E.jpg

20RnSGk.jpg

dcslbSl.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

@Talk Show Host that is some stunning material from LoU II. It is easily my game of the generation for so many reasons. The way it uses everything to draw you in to the experience and leaves you thoroughly amazed, disgusted, gutted, scared, happy, etc. is like nothing ever done before in gaming and yes the visuals are a huge part of that, but at no point did I ever stop to capture a picture because doing so, for me anyway, would have then had me focussing on things that chip away at that feeling. With Ghost its the other way round, in that the visual depth, range and openness of it all actually improves when you do look at all the finer details.

The best example I can use is how static some of the LoU II areas are, where trees or bushes block your path and up close are fairly generic graphics. Its difficult to really compare them because they are such different types of game so you are absolutely right, the level of detail and polish in the self contained environments of LoU II is incredible and the minute detail of the characters and their animation is unsurpassed, but where most games give you the 'postcards' you refer to as a stunning backdrop you can't interact with, for Ghost that is just one perspective of a part of this world that you can travel to, ride through or fight in.

The picture you have with the city scape is beautiful, but its just a background that you can't interact with. For me, Ghost provides that kind of incredible visual but instead of just being a nice background, its part of the world that you can venture to and enjoy from every angle possible rather than just the pre-defined ones that the game engine needs that stunning background for. 

Both games are technical witchcraft. Both games are incredible achievements. Both games are a privilege to play. But what Ghost does with its world from a visual perspective is on another level from anything I've ever seen and played :)

• Empathy 1

The difference is you can see where SP had to compromise , waterfalls in particular look a bit ropey , in fact water in general has that treacle quality . 
i think TLOU2 is the best realised world ever made in a video game. This is wonderful obviously and is up there with horizon and Spider-Man and fantastic open world environments . But tlou2  man , that’s another level . 

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, MardiganX said:

@Talk Show Host that is some stunning material from LoU II. It is easily my game of the generation for so many reasons. The way it uses everything to draw you in to the experience and leaves you thoroughly amazed, disgusted, gutted, scared, happy, etc. is like nothing ever done before in gaming and yes the visuals are a huge part of that, but at no point did I ever stop to capture a picture because doing so, for me anyway, would have then had me focussing on things that chip away at that feeling. With Ghost its the other way round, in that the visual depth, range and openness of it all actually improves when you do look at all the finer details.

The best example I can use is how static some of the LoU II areas are, where trees or bushes block your path and up close are fairly generic graphics. Its difficult to really compare them because they are such different types of game so you are absolutely right, the level of detail and polish in the self contained environments of LoU II is incredible and the minute detail of the characters and their animation is unsurpassed, but where most games give you the 'postcards' you refer to as a stunning backdrop you can't interact with, for Ghost that is just one perspective of a part of this world that you can travel to, ride through or fight in.

The picture you have with the city scape is beautiful, but its just a background that you can't interact with. For me, Ghost provides that kind of incredible visual but instead of just being a nice background, its part of the world that you can venture to and enjoy from every angle possible rather than just the pre-defined ones that the game engine needs that stunning background for. 

Both games are technical witchcraft. Both games are incredible achievements. Both games are a privilege to play. But what Ghost does with its world from a visual perspective is on another level from anything I've ever seen and played :)

That is because there are different games though. What LoUII lacks in open-worldness makes up for tons of detail and much more complex environments. You can't really compare them straight on of course but, for example, you can argue that there are other open world games who are better or equal to Tsushima's graphics and they have much more detail and depth in their worlds. On the other hand, you can't really find any other 3rd person game that looks as good as LoUII. Not even close. 

I do agree that sometimes this game feels like witchcraft but the world, generally, is quite empty or very streamlined in order to achieve that. Still, it is a very beautiful game, no doubt there. I would say that Odyssey though is more impressive due to its size, cities, population and ship exploration, all at the same time.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Hasn't stopped you from bringing up TLOU2 dozens of times if not more in the last ten or so pages of this thread, more often than not a 1000 word post about why Tsushima is so shit and why TLOU2 is the best thing ever. Once is enough, you know.

I wasn’t the one who brought LoUII to the conversation, I just agreed with someone who did. In fact it was my first time, since all my comparisons have been against other open world games. 

But yeah, just talk shit because someone doesn’t like your game.

“Best open world game ever! Yay!”

Happy?:P

13 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

But yeah, just talk shit because someone doesn’t like your game

Not liking it is fair enough, but posting 500+ word posts over and over again in which you make the same point each time gets tiring. You've described the same handful of open world flaws so. many. times.

• Upvote 2
14 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Not liking it is fair enough, but posting 500+ word posts over and over again in which you make the same point each time gets tiring. You've described the same handful of open world flaws so. many. times.

There’s a discussion about it which comes and goes. Now it was about the tech part of the game, so I said my opinion. Apologies if it feels too much for you but you wouldn’t mind if the comments were positive. Anyways, don’t mean to ruin your enjoyment of the game in any way. 

I personally think RDR2 is the best looking game I’ve played, the lighting in that game is unreal I’m amazed how good it looks on my tv. This comes close but is still not as good, the lighting seems flatter, more artificial and those crushed blacks. It’s beautiful don’t get me wrong but RDR2 seems to me on another level, I can’t be the only one thinking that? Or do I need to adjust some settings on my tv for this to reach those heights? Ghost is way more fun though, loving the combat, kind of hoping  get to use another weapon other than a katana but like Sekiro I doubt that will happen. 

Edit: On console of course...

23 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

There’s a discussion about it which comes and goes. Now it was about the tech part of the game, so I said my opinion. Apologies if it feels too much for you but you wouldn’t mind if the comments were positive. Anyways, don’t mean to ruin your enjoyment of the game in any way. 

Nah it's all good. Ever since starting the game a bit late (wanted to finish TLOU1 first because after this I'm going to dive into TLOU2. I've heard it said it's pretty) and catching up with this thread had me reading the same 3 or 4 arguments over and over in a row against the quality of this sandbox either in a visual sense or an immersive sense. You explained your criticism eloquently, but then you did it a few more times and I was like, okay already. Not just you, but your posts stood out because they're wordy.

Anyway, a lot of flaws/bad points were raised as absolute facts - but since I'm enjoying this game a shitload more than the latest AC games, it by definition has to be subjective.

You won't catch me saying Tsushima is the best game ever. But to me, it feels very lively thanks to the wind constantly swaying everything. To me it looks very varied, even more impressive given the realistic setting. To me the NPCs living in it are no more wooden and one-dimensional  than in any other open world game, even forum favourite BotW. 

So at some point, these things being repeated as objectively correct facts just started to annoy me. It's all subjective. The collectathon stuff is just different enough from every single AC and Far Cry to make it feel fresh. The combat is better than in any other open world game I can think of bar Dragon's Dogma. It all adds up to a game that might not take home any Game of the Generation awards, but is a bloody great and visually gobsmacking experience regardless.

The best open world game ever is The Witcher 3 btw as you well know I would say :P

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Hasn't stopped you from bringing up TLOU2 dozens of times if not more in the last ten or so pages of this thread, more often than not a 1000 word post about why Tsushima is so shit and why TLOU2 is the best thing ever. Once is enough, you know.

Agenda innit.  Got to justify that review in the face of overwhelmingly positive user opinions.

MASSIVE WINK.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Nah it's all good. Ever since starting the game a bit late (wanted to finish TLOU1 first because after this I'm going to dive into TLOU2. I've heard it said it's pretty) and catching up with this thread had me reading the same 3 or 4 arguments over and over in a row against the quality of this sandbox either in a visual sense or an immersive sense. You explained your criticism eloquently, but then you did it a few more times and I was like, okay already. Not just you, but your posts stood out because they're wordy.

Anyway, a lot of flaws/bad points were raised as absolute facts - but since I'm enjoying this game a shitload more than the latest AC games, it by definition has to be subjective.

You won't catch me saying Tsushima is the best game ever. But to me, it feels very lively thanks to the wind constantly swaying everything. To me it looks very varied, even more impressive given the realistic setting. To me the NPCs living in it are no more wooden and one-dimensional  than in any other open world game, even forum favourite BotW. 

So at some point, these things being repeated as objectively correct facts just started to annoy me. It's all subjective. The collectathon stuff is just different enough from every single AC and Far Cry to make it feel fresh. The combat is better than in any other open world game I can think of bar Dragon's Dogma. It all adds up to a game that might not take home any Game of the Generation awards, but is a bloody great and visually gobsmacking experience regardless.

The best open world game ever is The Witcher 3 btw as you well know I would say :P

Hehe, no arguments about the Witcher there :P. I just find the villages and NPCs much more varied with actions, activities and tales in W3 and RDR2 than Tsushima. I think that can be closer to fact than simply an opinion, so seeing people saying otherwise makes me curious as to how they can justify that.

We also usually talk about how stiff are the cutscenes in AC but here people say they are good, when most of the time is two camera angles changing when people talk for example. I have no goal to mess with people’s fun but I do wonder about some of the positive comments which reach hyperbolic levels imo. If you take the negative posts out it will read like this is the best realized game world out there with one of the best stories and characters. I personally don’t see how it is better than ACO except for the combat), tech level included, all things considered.

Anyways, just providing some balance in the thread, nothing else. :)

• Upvote 1

At no point have I said Ghost is a better overall game than LoU II, or RDR2 for that matter. I’m simply saying that subjectively, Ghost is the most visually impressive game I have ever played. 

LoU II is my game of the generation and yes RDR2 has the much better realised and detailed open world, but neither of them are as nice to look at as Ghost... subjectively :)

33 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

At no point have I said Ghost is a better overall game than LoU II, or RDR2 for that matter. I’m simply saying that subjectively, Ghost is the most visually impressive game I have ever played. 

LoU II is my game of the generation and yes RDR2 has the much better realised and detailed open world, but neither of them are as nice to look at as Ghost... subjectively :)

I am not arguing that, not at all. But it has been said in this thread that "this is the best looking game ever made" and as an open world that "it is up there with the best", with a "strong story and characters". Me and others have simply argued against that, nothing more, nothing less. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1
15 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

At no point have I said Ghost is a better overall game than LoU II, or RDR2 for that matter.

To be fair, that's not a bold claim unless development expense is the primary factor.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Minion said:

I personally think RDR2 is the best looking game I’ve played, the lighting in that game is unreal I’m amazed how good it looks on my tv. This comes close but is still not as good, the lighting seems flatter, more artificial and those crushed blacks. It’s beautiful don’t get me wrong but RDR2 seems to me on another level, I can’t be the only one thinking that? Or do I need to adjust some settings on my tv for this to reach those heights? Ghost is way more fun though, loving the combat, kind of hoping  get to use another weapon other than a katana but like Sekiro I doubt that will happen. 

Edit: On console of course...

I agree. I think RDR2 looks way better, and the town in RDR2 with the electric trams (especially during a foggy evening) dumps all over anything in TLOU2 (and this game) in my opinion. 

• Upvote 2