Ghost of Tsushima - New Sucker Punch IP

Yeah, I'm enjoying this at the moment but I'm starting to wonder how it's going to hold my interest for the duration. I'm still in act 1, mostly focussing on side-quests and it's getting quite repetitive already. It's also doing a lot of the "follow the guy, but don't get too close!" thing which is the worst thing it could have lifted from Assassin's Creed.

I guess what I'm saying is that while it's fun, I feel like I've already seen everything it has to offer.

That's very much my feeling. Beautiful world, quite satisfying combat with plenty of depth relative to its genre peers, some neat variations on the open world box-ticking tropes but nothing which feels particularly enduring beneath that. There's been no substantial development for the last ten of the twenty hours I've spent with it, and the preview of all of the unlocks to come suggests that there will be no further mechanical development.

I was initially drawn into the sombre, unspectacular quests and grounded characters but again, it's dynamically very flat (perhaps by design). No matter what I do, I feel like there will be another mildly downbeat and reflective outcome. I can understand how that tone appeals, because it felt fresh to me initially, but I had similar complaints about the writing in The Witcher 3 where the vast majority of quests had a bittersweet outcome. The impact of that emotive trick diminishes with each iteration. 

• Upvote 1

I think he is. ;) I’ve got a copy for a second play through but I’m not looking forward to the combat in that again (rolling around a lot), where in this I’m not walking away from any encounters as it’s fun just kicking ass and chopping limbs .

Made it to Act 2 and I think I'm done doing any of the side missions. Repetition is kicking in and despite loving the combat I think I'll just rattle through story missions otherwise I'll end up dropping it altogether.

Spoiler

Also at the start of Act 2 when the first part of the island fills up again with occupied villages to liberate. Ugh, what a crappy way of adding filler to the game.

Completed it, mate.

I enjoyed the combat mostly but most of the quests felt very uninspired (following/tracking footsteps happens a lot, forced insta-fail stealth missions and having to walk/ride slowly along an NPC talking about your childhood for mostly pointless plot/character exposition), and the writing didn’t carry much weight. A gorgeous world that felt slightly at odds with itself - it was strangely lifeless at times - but fun enough.

Sharper combat and no level gating was really the only thing that lifted it above an assassins creed game.

An Edge 7/10

• Upvote 1

This game would be so much better if the map was more condensed. I let out an audible groan earlier when my next mission marker was a 3km horse ride away. Sucks all the pacing out of it. I really want to love this but I spend probably half of every full hour bored senseless.

I often deliberately don't fast travel - or at least - fast travel to a location half way there, as I love traversing through the beautiful scenery. I feel it's totally part of the actual game, much like Breath of the Wild, where the atmosphere and it's chill out vibe is half the experience. I also absolutely loved Death Stranding for this. GOT is very sereen and chilled out, punctuated with the combat that when played well is nicely measured and impactful with each strike. It's easily one of the best games I've played this year.  

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, RadgyAdgy said:

Repetition is kicking in and despite loving the combat I think I'll just rattle through story missions

I ended up doing. The drawback is that by only doing the main storyline you get endless cutscene after cutscene, every one of which is as unskippable and dull as the previous...

Still, CEX gave me £40 for it last week meaning that it's only cost me £7 so I definitely got my money's worth.

21 minutes ago, Thor said:

The end of Act I fight with...

Hide contents

...Ryuzo...

... is pretty tasty on Lethal. Managed it after several attempts.

Wow well done, I must have tried over a hundred times :hat:

• Upvote 1

Weirdly my game glitched out when I started a main, Jin would just start running forward and there is no was to control him (think he was just too excited to finally be on the last mission on Act One). Tried restarting the game and rebooting the console, but every time I loaded the game and continued the same thing occurred (game has the latest patch).

Had to go back to a previous save file and now back upto the same section and all seems fine. Very strange.

Anyway some more photos to ease the distress of Jin wanting to run away:

jbfctb.png

jbfFwT.png

jbfXK7.png

• Upvote 3
6 hours ago, grounded_dreams said:

jbfXK7.png

Is there a side-mission where you have to visit a clown convention, or are you wearing that outfit for a bet?

I've been ignoring all of the different armour stats, and just wearing the best looking combo I can come up with.  My dude looks BAD ASS all the time, even when he's getting his BAD ASS kicked over and over again. 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, catinthehat said:

Is there a side-mission where you have to visit a clown convention, or are you wearing that outfit for a bet?

I've been ignoring all of the different armour stats, and just wearing the best looking combo I can come up with.  My dude looks BAD ASS all the time, even when he's getting his BAD ASS kicked over and over again. 

Ha, looks like for a bet.

I hate that stupid helmet. 

Spoiler

It's the fucking silly hair.

In other news during Act II you have several duels with...

Spoiler

Ronin. The one in the Marshes was my first one on lethal, and I almost had him on my first go! I got all cocky and he fucked me. Took another 8ish attempts to get him.

Loving the duels on lethal, a real test of patience and skill.

What can fuck right off though are those fucking pikemen, they can shove those long poles up their fucking arses. The parry window for them was already bad, and on lethal it's smaller again. They're the only enemy I feel is a little too difficult, even for lethal. Getting killed by them in one hit because they launched themselves at you from way off screen feels cheap. 

• Upvote 1

Small patch today, mostly for anyone hunting collectibles.

Just wanted to point out that the new update 1.06 today changed the Traveler’s Attire a bit.

When you are within range of a collectible, a small firefly will spawn and guide you to it (much like the foxes and eagles). Also, the controller vibrations will match the firefly’s “light” pattern. The closer you are, the faster it will vibrate.

Tagging @Alex W. as we were talking about haptics yesterday - game was launched without support for people having the rumble turned off, but has had it added in.

• Upvote 1

I'm still messing around in Act I.. lets just say progress is slow. I've sadly fallen into the Far Cry trap of having to remove the fog from every section of the map before moving on. 

..oh and photomode certainly isn't helping either:

50177348742_3ee53c93ad_k.jpg

50179831842_23e4bee681_k.jpg

50192854523_a5aa19e3f6_k.jpg

• Upvote 9
3 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I think completing an Act clears the fog from that section, so don't feel too pressured to go literally everywhere.

Fuuuck! Had a feeling that might happen. Oh well only a few hours wasted.

Cheers for the heads up, should speed progress up a bit.

I dont think it does. Clearing an Act just opens up the locations of left over Mongol camps, forts, etc. but the fog is still present on areas you haven't been. Its only when you fully liberate all the areas that the fog completely disappears... I think :blink:

I finished the main story last night. Played on lethal from about half way through Act II until the end and every single battle, encounter, assassination party and duel was fantastic. Will post more thoughts later but if it wasnt for LoU II this would comfortably be my GOTY.

• Upvote 2