Ghost of Tsushima - New Sucker Punch IP

I’ve been playing on medium mainly using water stance and mostly it’s been an absolute pleasure massively dominating every enemy I step to - duels and pole bastards are the only time I need to apply any thought to sword combat. Instead I’ve been having great fun with all the various gadgets, especially enjoying the 

Spoiler

hallucinating blow dart. Find the biggest baddest Mongol in the camp and set him lose - usually the guy with the shotgun thingy! Stand up on a roof having a proper sinister chuckle as he blows up all his mates.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Just waiting for another patch before I begin tonight's session. Is this game exempt from updating while the PS4 is in rest mode, or have we reverted to the time when nothing updates during sleep?

I just turned on my PS4 with Tsushima in sleep mode and it immediately notified me a patch had been downloaded. I could either continue playing and update later, or update immediately.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I just turned on my PS4 with Tsushima in sleep mode and it immediately notified me a patch had been downloaded. I could either continue playing and update later, or update immediately.

Don't leave us hanging, what you did decide?

Well then, that's the main story finished.

Utterly superb stuff from Sucker Punch! A visually sumptuous title and a real first party tour de force at the end of the PS4 generation.

Looking forward to spending the next couple of nights finishing the side quests and collectibles.

• Upvote 7

Pretty much the same thoughts from me @teddymeow An incredible game that coming straight off the back of LoUII had an almost impossible act to follow but did it with some absolutely beautiful visuals, brilliant gameplay and bangin outifts. 

I will continue playing it for hours and while I may eventually Platinum it (it would be my first), that would be through coincidence rather than design. 

Post Act III thoughts - 

Spoiler

Even on lethal the final fight against Khan ended up being fairly easy as by that time I had grown accustomed to using absolutely everything in my arsenal. I've never had that in a game of this style and instead have always settled on some core techniques and perfected them. I went into that final mission fully tooled up and ended it with an empty utility belt and whole lot of fantastic moments.

The epilogue type duel with Uncle Shimura was inevitable and really well done. The setting and the overall visuals are fantastic, but cant help but feel that by that time it needed more than just another duel, as again, even on lethal I had grown really used to the attacks, especially the unblockables so was able to go in very offensive. I spared him and was happy with how Jin played that out, but now curious as to what happens if you kill him? Anyone?

A GOTY contender that was on a hiding to nothing with the timing of its release alongside LoUII but confidently delivers a fun to play and absolutely stunning visual experience.

• Upvote 5

I'm a little way into Act II now, and it's definitely picked up considerably, both action- and looks-wise. There is something I'm slightly confused about, that may have been explained in a cutscene I didn't pay enough attention to: is the only way to get between the north and south islands to fast travel? I tried going via Castle Kaneda, but the gates were shut even though I've liberated it.

35 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

@MardiganX

Reveal hidden contents

If you kill Shimura you get a different coloured outfit, title, location of your Ghost base and a slightly different conversation with Tuna

Spoiler

Watching that ending I'm now a little disappointed they didn't just make that that the only ending. It gives a more emotional and satisfying resolution to the relationship between Jin and Shimura :( plus, I'm not sure how / if the game world is impacted by the decision, but killing Shimura makes the fact you are still on the island a lot more plausible and easier to manage from a plot perspective.

7 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Regarding your horse 

Hide contents

is there a way to get a new one or is the saddle guy just trolling me now?

Spoiler

Yes, you'll get one once you advance the story enough.

• Upvote 1

Another few hours last night and I've

liberated the whole island and found all the shrines, haiku, bamboo strikes, lighthouses and levelled everything up to maximum.

Still a few cosmetic items to locate and the Ishikawa, Adachi and Norio side quests to do.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Whoa, you finished the main story but not those? I reallt like those side stories, particularly Sensei Ishikawa.

I did all of the Yuna and Kenji ones as they had to be done before the end of Act II. I've done a few Sensei Ishikawa ones too.

And finished; had to have a fan blowing the heat off the pro ;)

Excellent stuff and a great finale 

Spoiler

spared him as I felt that was the whole point of his journey was going beyond the code of honour to do what’s right. Only didn’t finish the monk and the Lady ones as had enough of traipsing the map. Will clear the top island as the bases are fun ; a real power trip by this point.

The fox dens needed to be changed after Act 1 as they just get tedious Nd there’s so many of those charms it makes getting them worthless.

The armour and clothing sets in this are some of the best looking I've seen in a game. Currently loving the Gosaku Armour upgraded to the 'refined helmet' stage, just totally badass. But also like the traveller's attire. 

Cool aesthetics make a game so much better, so many games would make stuff like that paid DLC. 

Could do with some sort of organisation of the UI in the  chaotic hats/helmets/headbands menu though. 

• Upvote 1

I've found this game almost completely dry, and the most 'going through the motions' gaming I can think of in quite some time

However I hit a part around the middle of Act II, where it was firing on all cylinders - and it's finally become the badass Samurai power fantasy it should be. 

Really enjoying it now - but man those opening hours are a complete drag

It's just like Days Gone afterall :lol: