Ghost of Tsushima - New Sucker Punch IP

Fargo

13 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

I grabbed the £25 update. Its downloading now. Before today there was an option to ONLY grab the DLC for £16.99 so is that now removed?

With classic Sony PS Store competence, I think they've stuffed up their listing as they (I presume) transition from the pre-order for the PS4-only upgrade to the post-release one and adding the PS5 version. The PS4-only one is here: https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP9000-CUSA13323_00-GHOSTDIRECTORCUT and the PS5 one is here: https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP9000-PPSA03208_00-GHOSTDIRECTORPS5

Thanks man. In light of the sheer mind blowing quality of the original PS4 release and then all the free content they packaged up where other companies would have slapped a price tag on it, I feel just a little ungrateful moaning about the £9 PS5 upgrade. In the grand scheme of what games cost and what you get out of them Ghost is one that will always be wildly on the 'value for money' side of my list.

Still doesn't sit right given the precedent set for next gen upgrades but in this scenario I think can live with it.

7 minutes ago, Parappa said:

LOL

What you have is great already on the PS5 with the free 60fps patch, so give it a try and if you like it then you can think about the upgrade later. I really don’t think it’s one where you need the PS5 upgrade before you even think about playing it, it looks fantastic anyway.

All downloaded via the app earlier.

I earned the platinum trophy on the SP4 version but never did NG+ so that's what I'm going to do on the PS5 version as well as the Iki Island DLC.

Looking forward to trying Legends mode too.

teddymeowUK is my PSN.

Upgraded from PS4 to PS5. Well worth it IMO. The jump in resolution to 4k makes a considerable difference (playing on a 65inch screen, so that might make it more noticeable). Either way it looked amazing before, but now, it looks absolutely STUNNING! The lighting, the use of colour, all the movement in the environment.......it all just pops even more thanks to the improved image quality. Same goes for the sound too, the 3D audio on headphones is great. Haptics work well, love the feel of the horse galloping along, really adds to the immersion. Stuff like the bow having resistance on the triggers works nicely too. There seems to have been some QOL “improvements”, such as icons over certain stuff and more noticeable collectibles. Not too keen on that. 

£20 for the expansion and the upgrade to PS5 seems fair enough to me, especially considering I’ve already played the game for 150hrs and still not finished it! Looking forward to giving the new island a go when I next get chance.

I forgot just how mesmerised I was when I played Ghost on release. I played it on and off for months after completing it, hoovering up most of the side missions and collectibles but never got to the Platinum. Going straight to Iki island on my post completion Lethal save and I am right back where I was last year. Appreciating almost every frame as you move through the world and gradually getting my deadly skills back. When I started playing Valhalla in June I thought it looked spectacular on the PS5, even questioning whether it looked and handled better than Ghost. Its not. Not in the slightest. Valhalla is good at what it does (the actual gameplay is archaic in comparison to Ghost) but its nowhere near the quality and charm of Ghost.

I went with the full DLC and upgrade version, which is worth every penny. Cant wait to get back in later today.

2 hours ago, MardiganX said:

I went with the full DLC and upgrade version, which is worth every penny. Cant wait to get back in later today.

I did the same, I want to play the best version of the game and although minimal the PS5 upgrades are good. From the PS5 dash back into a mission in a few seconds is brilliant and the haptics just make everything a little more engaging.

I think it’s a fantastic game, the way the stories are journaled and structured just makes it a pleasure to play. On one play through you can clear out some Mongols, on another have a more relaxing time searching for collectibles or progress the Story (which I enjoy) or just randomly explore.

A superb game and the DLC + upgrade is more than worth it.

I really did try with Valhalla. I played a lot of the main campaign and plenty side missions but at no point did I ever really engage with the characters or the setting, which is ridiculous as I fucking LOVE The Last Kingdom and Valhalla is slap bang in the middle of that period, even down to some of the background characters. If I had played Valhalla upon release, closer to my initial run at Ghost I doubt I would have got past the first few hours. Going back to it now after a lengthy, but ultimately disappointing play through Valhalla is making me appreciate it even more than I did the first time. Everything is just so polished and intuitive. Its comfortably alongside The Last of Us 2 as the peak of the previous gen for me, so enjoying it all over again with the full PS5 icing is beautiful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
24 minutes ago, Thor said:

Tempted to get the upgrade for this in the sale...

Is the upgrade in the sale?  It's showing as full price on my phone, but I hate the app and don't trust it at all.

I'm also tempted to drive back in.  I adored it and platinumed it on release on PS4, but I've been itching to get back in for a while.  A price drop would do it for me, I think.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Oh, yeah,  it's £24.99. I just assumed it would be on sale... Hmmm...

edit: With it not being included in the sale, perhaps it's soon to appear on PS+?

doubtful.  The full game is still holding its price so assume its selling pretty well.