The Post Credits Mario Odyssey Thread - The Real Dark Odyssey Begins Here

scottcr

Post Credits Peach is the Best Peach...

she basically tells Mario that she's offski on her travels, she can handle herself and he can follow her if she wants.  Looks like you've got to find her in each kingdom.

Of course, that might change later - I've no idea... but I thought that was cool.

I mentioned this in the main thread a while ago but it was in spoilers back when everyone else was just getting the game. There's a line in the EDGE review that says something like 'Peach, for her part, is no damsel in distress'....finally, I thought, the penny has dropped for Nintendo. So I spent the whole damn story waiting for her to do something and she does nothing. Apparently EDGE were playing a different game to me because waiting all story to be rescued on then going off on holiday does not in any way represent someone being 'no damsel in distress'. It's a damsel in distress who goes jet-setting after being rescued.

It's a shame because considering Peach has the tiara with the same powers, presumably, as Cappy, they had literally the perfect opportunity to give her some kind of agency or role in her own escape. As it is, the fact that Peach has that tiara seems completely pointless unless they're planning future DLC starring Peach, and she's still just the same empty vessel to be rescued that she always is for the main game.

This was literally my biggest complaint about the game which says a lot about how good it is.

6 minutes ago, Majora said:

I mentioned this in the main thread a while ago but it was in spoilers back when everyone else was just getting the game. There's a line in the EDGE review that says something like 'Peach, for her part, is no damsel in distress'....finally, I thought, the penny has dropped for Nintendo. So I spent the whole damn story waiting for her to do something and she does nothing. Apparently EDGE were playing a different game to me because waiting all story to be rescued on then going off on holiday does not in any way represent someone being 'no damsel in distress'. It's a damsel in distress who goes jet-setting after being rescued.

It's a shame because considering Peach has the tiara with the same powers, presumably, as Cappy, they had literally the perfect opportunity to give her some kind of agency or role in her own escape. As it is, the fact that Peach has that tiara seems completely pointless unless they're planning future DLC starring Peach, and she's still just the same empty vessel to be rescued that she always is for the main game.

This was literally my biggest complaint about the game which says a lot about how good it is.

I presume they were referring to the ending where Peach decides to choose neither of her would-be suitors. But yes, I was also expecting her to do something during the game, and DLC where you play as Peach and Tiara would be pretty awesome.

Why on Earth was that Dark Souls Kingdom in there? I clocked it immediately, as I'm sure everyone did, and I was just so fucking happy that Nintendo were using what is one of the greatest games I've ever played to also big up my actual favourite game ever. The dragon, while kind of goofy and charming in a Nintendo way, also did give me that Souls feeling of 'oh no wait damn I've got to kill that large bastard'. 

It was such a weird little diversion. It lasted five minutes and then back to the bog-standard mind-bending prism of reality. It wasn't even a Kingdom, unfortunately.

Anyone care to speculate what it means or why it was there? I daren't. 

I loved that they went wild with such varied art styles. The traditional Japanese and hanafuda styling of Bowser's Kingdom, the solid feel of its tiling and the beautiful, colourful plumes of smoke were an absolute highlight for me. The camera often frames everything so well too. 

I'm not too deep into the post-story stuff. Mushroom Kingdom was joyous. There are little sound effect nods just where you'd expect them (including New Donk playing Donkey Kong SFX when you pick up Pauline's umbrella). Entering the fountain area with that 64 costume on made me smile so much.

Just unlocked the Dark Side of the Moon and I'm hoping the game can give a few stages with a challenge as enjoyable as 3D Land's latter stages. It is definitely utely one of my favourite games ever but it still has the potential to be my absolute favourite.

I'm a little bit confused in how to get around. You can't use the odyssey until you have a 100 or so moons, so I was just getting em in the princess castle world but then discovered a portal to a previous world but it was in such a place that I couldn't return as it was on a high platform. I then later found another portal to another world and again couldn't return. So I THINK that the idea is to go from world to world depending on what portal you find, you can't really choose the order in which you go.

Yeah, still getting my head around it. Just a bit worried that I'll find all the world's moons but get stuck in that world, unable to get more moons to get my odyssey working again.

Ah THAT'S it isn't it? You don't have control over which world you go to UNTIL you fix the odyssey, so you're doomed to follow a certain order because I imagine that each world only has 1 portal?

I'm making this sound way too much like 'Lost' or something... 

What the fuck are you on about Capwn? I’m totally confused, have you finished the ‘story’ and ended up in the next world or are you just starting? The little picture portals are just to get 1 moon in another world which would usually be high up or otherwise inaccessible.

Eh? I was in the castle, got about 40 moons in that place and tried going to another world via the odyssey a few times but it demanded I have 100+ more moons? So it wouldn't budge. I initially thought I'd have to get EVERY moon in the castle world before you can go back and 'mop' up the rest.

Yeah it is a little confusing as you could think it means you can't go anywhere until you've gathered more moons. What's that for anyway, where it says 'the Odyssey needs 30 more moons' or whatever?

So amazing btw. Some proper cheeky stuff going on now.

Yeah, I think we should clarify that this thread assumes that everyone has completed the story, that's it. There are still plenty of things to be unlocked which should really be put in spoiler tags, with a hint beforehand about how many moons you should have before you open the spoiler, etc.

I’m totally stumped on getting the second moon in this small maze arena in Seaside Kingdom (pic of maze) 

Spoiler

31EF5E7F-004F-4D49-9D12-8B43521EF11E.jpeg.0deab49b638991cb60c3905e3d89ee51.jpeg

Ive got the one from collecting 5 shards and can’t find the other! A hint would be great if anyone’s done it yet :)

5 minutes ago, Nosejam said:

I’m totally stumped on getting the second moon in this small maze arena in Seaside Kingdom (pic of maze) 

Hide contents

31EF5E7F-004F-4D49-9D12-8B43521EF11E.jpeg.0deab49b638991cb60c3905e3d89ee51.jpeg

Ive got the one from collecting 5 shards and can’t find the other! A hint would be great if anyone’s done it yet :)

if i'd guess i'd say its around the back or side of the maze. i remember they did that in galaxy and nintendo tend to just recycle ideas