The Post Credits Mario Odyssey Thread - The Real Dark Odyssey Begins Here

scottcr

Yeah, for a game that goes out of its way to avoid the tedium of old (scrapping the life system, for example), it’s disappointing that you’re forced to play the same sections again and again to play the next bit, which is only difficult because you’ve never seen it before. Make it much, much harder, but give us some checkpoints.

9 hours ago, hombre_hompson said:

I wouldn't mind if it was just that. But a full 8 minutes to get back to a section that potentially is instant death if you get it wrong? Just seems overly harsh to me.

I remember it taking over an hour to get from a save point to the end of game boss on Phantasy Star III. Die there, or on the way, that's another hour.

Bit stumped on a moon. Have really tried not to look at a guide or anything but have spent ages trying to figure it out.

It's on the Ruined Kingdom, right behind the odyssey (after you unlock the extra bits). Basically you can capture one of the Chargin Chucks - the first star really isn't too bad. But i am looking for the second moon and have destroyed everything, looked everywhere.. and still can't find it. Clues anyone?

1 hour ago, Hellcock said:

I thought he was talking about the last level leading up to bowser...

Hmm.

Yeah, to be clear I'm talking about the +500 moons one

I'd agree with everyone that the individual sections are challenging and brilliantly designed. I just don't think the experience would be diminished any by having a checkpoint.

1 hour ago, Darhkwing said:

Bit stumped on a moon. Have really tried not to look at a guide or anything but have spent ages trying to figure it out.

It's on the Ruined Kingdom, right behind the odyssey (after you unlock the extra bits). Basically you can capture one of the Chargin Chucks - the first star really isn't too bad. But i am looking for the second moon and have destroyed everything, looked everywhere.. and still can't find it. Clues anyone?

Is it the one with like loads of those mummy enemies?

If so 

Spoiler

Try heading back to the beginning after grabbing the Chuck... you should be able to see something up there.. 

54 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Of course it would. The difficulty comes from knowing even the slightest mistake will cost you. 

Hmm. For me difficulty comes from the skill required to complete a section, not from the consequence of failure.

As I say, I don't mind having to replay sections, but in a game so well balanced this is the one occasion when it feels the balance is slightly off.

2 hours ago, hombre_hompson said:

Hmm. For me difficulty comes from the skill required to complete a section, not from the consequence of failure.

As I say, I don't mind having to replay sections, but in a game so well balanced this is the one occasion when it feels the balance is slightly off.

Have you considered that could be deliberate? Everyone can see the actual game ending easily enough if they apply themselves. But this is for hard-core. This is for the YouTubers who will not only complete it but do so with one hand behind their backs in about 30 seconds using Cappy as a magical flying carpet. 

The difficulty comes from the added stress of not having checkpoints, as your hands start to shake and sweat drips from the end of your nose, and you almost willingly walk Mario into a pool of molten lava because it's just too much. 

You don't have to do it, but complaining that it's too hard just compounds the whole reason for it's existence.

3 hours ago, dood said:

Is it the one with like loads of those mummy enemies?

If so 

Hide contents

Try heading back to the beginning after grabbing the Chuck... you should be able to see something up there.. 

Thanks Ill give it a go. Spent nearly 20 minutes trying to find the moon on the weekend.

47 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

You don't have to do it, but complaining that it's too hard just compounds the whole reason for it's existence.

Is anyone saying it’s too hard? The first four or five sections are easy, and not particularly rewarding. But playing through them again and again is a slog, because they’re so long. I’d have preferred them to be shorter but a lot harder, or harder still and with a couple of checkpoints.

In the end, it’s not so much a test of skill as a test of patience.

36 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I'm not complaining that it's too hard. I'm complaining that it's tedious.

With every new section you will inevitably face some deaths, and having to go through the early sections every time is no fun at all.

11 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Is anyone saying it’s too hard? The first four or five sections are easy, and not particularly rewarding. But playing through them again and again is a slog, because they’re so long. I’d have preferred them to be shorter but a lot harder, or harder still and with a couple of checkpoints.

You really confused me there. Not quite sure how the quote got mixed up.

So that's it. I've got all coins, all costumes and every moon except for skipping rope and beach volley ball, which I'm really not sure I can be arsed with as they're both so tedious.

What an incredible game. Darker side nearly made me throw my switch out the window, but it was ridiculously gratifying when I finally managed to climb that skyscraper, and I actually felt a bit emotional as I was reaching the top! 

I didn't think I'd able to appreciate games in this way again, but after Zelda and now Mario, my faith has been fully restored!

I loved Darker Side but the difficulty curve wasn't perfect. Specifically, the pokey-bird section which is insta-death if you fuck it up, lives just after another hard bit, and most importantly, does a bad job of communicating how you're supposed to complete it. There's a very hard obvious way, but also an easier way which looks like it shouldn't work, and that seems like the wrong way round.

With every other section, I knew straight away what the task was after the first death or two. Maybe another few deaths to learn the obvious pitfalls or take less damage. Pokey bird bit was a bastard.

I quite liked the fog > pokey > DK sections but if you want, I’m sure you can skip straight to the bowser bit if you keep shaking the controller while flying the dragon thing. 

Also this glitch has been discovered if any of you fancy skipping the darker side of the moon entirely:

Ha, just looking through my achievements at Peach's Castle and had a double take when looking at the ones toward the bottom... 

I've jumped 20,861 times.   How about you? 

That poor B button! :D