IGNORED

Selling collection - anyone else feeling the same way?

strider

This has been coming for a while but I've decided I'm going to sell a large portion of my games collection.

I want to buy a half-decent spotting scope for my bird-watching and their high cost means this is going to be the best way to achieve that.

I'm mainly planning to sell my NTSC SNES/Super Famicom collection and my Japanese shooter Dreamcast collection as they probably have the highest value and will help me obtain my goal quicker.

Despite the fact that virtually all my games are also on my mame cabinet I have no interest in selling my Saturn collection, or my Mega Drive games and I'm not going to touch my Xbox or DS collections either as they both give me a lot of satisfaction still. I hate selling stuff, particularly SNES games as they are a bugger to post, but I think it's time to downsize and I'm guessing I'm going to have the least emotional attachment to those systems.

Anyone else feeling the same way? Do you like to purge. Do you just sell stuff here? Do you regret your decisions? Do you want a spotting scope as well?

5 minutes ago, ulala said:

I think your heart is no longer in this. 

I fully expect a resignation in your final editorial next month.

I know you jest but some people really do believe that because I don't own any home computers that I have no right editing Retro Gamer.

10 minutes ago, strider said:

This has been coming for a while but I've decided I'm going to sell a large portion of my games collection.

I want to buy a half-decent spotting scope for my bird-watching and their high cost means this is going to be the best way to achieve that.

I'm mainly planning to sell my NTSC SNES/Super Famicom collection and my Japanese shooter Dreamcast collection as they probably have the highest value and will help me obtain my goal quicker.

Despite the fact that virtually all my games are also on my mame cabinet I have no interest in selling my Saturn collection, or my Mega Drive games and I'm not going to touch my Xbox or DS collections either as they both give me a lot of satisfaction still. I hate selling stuff, particularly SNES games as they are a bugger to post, but I think it's time to downsize and I'm guessing I'm going to have the least emotional attachment to those systems.

Anyone else feeling the same way? Do you like to purge. Do you just sell stuff here? Do you regret your decisions? Do you want a spotting scope as well?

you know the end of brewsters millions? where his  room is finally finished, just as he goes broke:

that's how it's going to be with my games room. Finally finished, lightinh, consoles, shelves TV, pictures on the wall, the whole caboodle, just as I've always wanted it... and then bang. It's all sold, and it's a bedroom.

39 minutes ago, strider said:

I know you jest but some people really do believe that because I don't own any home computers that I have no right editing Retro Gamer.

Apparently Dave Lee Travis didn't own any records yet they let him broadcast to the nation.

I like the odd purge but I've been overzealous far too many times. Wish I still had all my GBA, PSP and Dreamcast stuff and I'd taken proper care of my Amiga. That's just games. I've got rid of loads of vinyl and comics that I pine for now too. 

I traded in most of the last gen as I went along and I don't miss too much of that as I know a big chunk is available digitally and I can still get the retail 360 games for peanuts.

I try not to binge buy but I still average one old game a month and 6-7 new games a year. It all builds up very quickly.

You're trading dead shelf-filler for something that you'll use every week (curious, just for spotting, or are you going to digiscope?). You can replace the lot with an Everdrive and not miss out on any functionality, so don't sweat it.

You can be a retro gamer without being a collector. Two of my favourite YouTube/Podcast types, Kim Justice and Bob Mackey (Retronauts) seem to subsist solely on emulators/flashcarts, and it's not in any way to their detriment - indeed, it lets them get a more comprehensive view of a title across platforms. For balance, I love the very-collecty My Life In Gaming and Jeremy Parish's academic approach too.

As I've observed previously, the retro market seems to be more about pristine boxes than the actual games these days, which I find utterly demented. I guess it's a logical market reaction to the rise of ubiquitous flashcarts.

P.S. sell me your NTSC-U SuperFX/SA-1 SNES carts!

On the flip side, I sold a load of gaming stuff and regretted it

in the last 3 months (helped by a tax rebate admittedly) I’ve bought...

A N64, DSi Xl, Dreamcast, Spectrum + Spectrum 48k, Spectrum plus 2, Snes, Snes Mini, PS2, GPD XD and an Atari ST.

My advice, if you have a place to store them, just put them away (unless you need the cash)  You never know when you will get the bug again :) 

2 minutes ago, Bluejam said:

My advice, if you have a place to store them, just put them away (unless you need the cash)  You never know when you will get the bug again :)

this is my garage. in this photo you can see my

jaguar

dreamcast *

Saturn *

32x

megadrive

mastersystem

og Xbox *

360*

xbox one*

PSone *

PStwo *

PS3 *

PS4 *

SFC

N64

GC *

Wii *

MVS Puzzle Bobble

collections. Most of the hardware is in the house, although my PS1 and N64 spare systems are here too, I don't trust the waterproofing. 

The most important part are the systems marked * which are the game cases only. I want those cases displayed as trophies, you know? instead, the discs sit in fat disc wallets.

I also have 32X and MVS games for systems I don't own. From that, it's obvious I'm a collector. I want to display my collection.

The idea of a cull, to make room, and generate funds? ugh.

collection.jpg

1 hour ago, strider said:

They can go piss up a rope.

I really want to keep all my old home computers but I don't have the space. Far better they end up in the hands of someone who'll love them just as much as I did.

Doesn't stop me loving retro gaming any less.

I really need to focus my collection, it's a mess of faddish impulse buys that the hoarder in me cannot let go of. I just don't have that killer instinct the true collectors have, yet I still think it's worth doing. Then I work myself up into a "why am I doing this?" frenzy and want to get rid of the lot - and don't. One day I swear I'll get on top of it and ditch the chaff and have the best honed, most focussed collection personal to me and worth every penny. Best get to the gaming lies thread in Discussion.

1 hour ago, Bluejam said:

On the flip side, I sold a load of gaming stuff and regretted it

in the last 3 months (helped by a tax rebate admittedly) I’ve bought...

A N64, DSi Xl, Dreamcast, Spectrum + Spectrum 48k, Spectrum plus 2, Snes, Snes Mini, PS2, GPD XD and an Atari ST.

But did you get the bug for playing these things, or for researching / buying them? I can't believe you've played that lot much in three months, too diverse.

It's taken me a while to come to terms with, but I basically love researching things, tracking down "best" versions and getting them for a good price, sometimes more than I love the things themselves. Once I've actually got them, I can sometimes neglect them. This is partially because I've got plenty of slivers of time I can spend hunting (set up some saved searches, check in on the eBay app through the day) or researching (slack time at work), but I don't have many big blocks of time at home to sit in front of a console and play stuff. But it's also partially because I sometimes enjoy the hunt more than the end product, and I'm okay with that.

William Gibson did a good magazine article a few years back about briefly becoming obsessed with mechanical watches, a fever which passed when he tracked down his One True Watch. But it describes very well the joy of the hunt, or learning the minutiae, and kind of defends this as being a valid source of enjoyment.

7 hours ago, strider said:

Bloody idiots. Ignore them.

As for my collection... I just try and stick to collecting my core formats (Super Famicom, PC Engine, GameCube) in terms of older systems, and don't really expand beyond that... Well, admittedly I have my Mega Drive (thanks @gossi the dog!), and I'm happy to keep a modest collection for that too.

I've sold a lot of games (around 150) over the past year or so. I occasionally get a pang of regret that I sold my Mega Drive to @Protocol Penguin when I see some of the rarer games in CEX, but I know I'd barely play anything I did purchase. The Gamecube, DS, PS2 and PSP collections have now been streamlined quite nicely and there's nothing I miss. I need to get on to selling the excess Dreamcast and PS1 stuff now.

Edit: I've been strangely ruthless with the last and current generation of consoles. I own 5 games for the PS4, 1 for the Xbox One, 6 for the PS3, 8 for the 360, 5 for the 3DS, 9 for the Wii U.

Having suffered a health wake up call recently, at first I felt terribly depressed to the point I wanted to sell most things (see trading folder thread). And to be fair, there's nothing wrong with thinking like that still. Ideally, all that's going to happen is they're going to stay in my room until I'm dead, where and which the collection will either be trashed or given to a charity shop. Why not sell the stuff sooner and make use of the money while your alive? And as said, replace them with Everdrives.

Ah, well, there's the problem. I don't actually have that much that would bring in the amount of dough I'd want for a complete life 1-up for me and the family. Wii U will go up but not right now. Large 360 collection but it won't go up for at least another 10 years, if the drives in consoles still work fine by then. The rest: Mega Drive, Game Boy (majority of titles of which came from Lorf) and N64 I wasn't thinking of selling. N64's cheap for a majority of titles too anyway.

Oh, and DS/3DS.

EverDrives are not great for every title under the sun. Just the other day I saw a vid for X-Men on the Mega Drive, at some point in the game you need to hit reset to progress, can't do that with the ED. Virtua Racer not supported too. The SNES Everdrives still lack support for a whole load of titles thanks to the special chip shinanigans (though probably still decent enough for most). The N64 EverDrive sucks in the sense I'd need a US or JP console to play their exclusives, and so on.

Then there's the problem of Steam. Steam collection keeps growing thanks to bundles, I want to get around to stuff, so when am I playing old stuff? What about old 'new' stuff I never played but wanted to so bought? Couldn't I have just emulated that title instead?

I find myself playing retro, but particularly stuff I'm already familiar with for any length of time longer than a half hour. There are exceptions, there always are, but you get my point.

Other times (majority of the time) I PC game a bit, and that's it, time's up for the day.

So I'm not sure what I'm trying to say, really. I want to keep or buy the stuff that's sentimental, sell others, and if I really do want to go for as many titles as I can on a system, do it for one or two systems, not 5.

But all this is easier then then done. Guilt also plays a part in it.

The only thing I know is my plastic tat won't go into the hospital room in times of comfort. Photos and human beings, will. At the same time, I have warm fuzzy feels for finally owning all the MD titles I had as a kid recently.

But of course, you can argue that that way of thinking reaches the realms of everything is pointless discussion, and you really shouldn't live thinking like that, which I also agree with.

Life is complicated.

Well this is my snes collection.

mana is missing map and I think zelda is a Canadian version with a uk map or something weird but it's all otherwise complete.

any idea on costs for the lot?

is a £1000 to ambitious? Snes prices seem all over the place at the mo.

IMG_1660.JPG

The problem with retro as a hobby is the amateurs moved in, creating a lack of focus on what retro collecting is all about. It drives prices up and making it not fun any more. The reluctance to accept depreciation as would happen on new goods, creating a false sense of equity in what is essentially plastic and cardboard, simply because they want to "get back" what they paid.

As fun as it is to rebuy what was played to death in yesteryear, theres actually great joy discovering "hidden gems" the lesser known titles, and that itch can be satisfied watching through YouTube ans emulation.

20 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

But did you get the bug for playing these things, or for researching / buying them? I can't believe you've played that lot much in three months, too diverse.

It's taken me a while to come to terms with, but I basically love researching things, tracking down "best" versions and getting them for a good price, sometimes more than I love the things themselves. Once I've actually got them, I can sometimes neglect them. This is partially because I've got plenty of slivers of time I can spend hunting (set up some saved searches, check in on the eBay app through the day) or researching (slack time at work), but I don't have many big blocks of time at home to sit in front of a console and play stuff. But it's also partially because I sometimes enjoy the hunt more than the end product, and I'm okay with that.

William Gibson did a good magazine article a few years back about briefly becoming obsessed with mechanical watches, a fever which passed when he tracked down his One True Watch. But it describes very well the joy of the hunt, or learning the minutiae, and kind of defends this as being a valid source of enjoyment.

Think it’s a combination of getting the bug of playing them again, collecting AND the fact I had to sell a load of stuff a while back to make ends meet during a time when cash wasn’t available. 

So, just wanted to get some stuff back.

will I play them all the time? Very unlikely but if I do get the ‘bug’ to play, er, Frank Bruno’s Boxing on a proper Spectrum for example i can (well, if it loads, the tv tunes in and I can find all the wires)

But I have stopped looking at EBay and Sinclair for sale as it can get a bit addictive.

I am lucky that I have a room in my house that is basically full of man cave stuff so storing isn’t a problem. Can understand anyone selling though if space is an issue. 

TL;DR I sold loads of shit when I was skint, now I’ve got some cash, I bought some back.

i dunno, maybe in 15 years time my son can sell them on eBay Picard.gif 

10 hours ago, strider said:

Well this is my snes collection.

mana is missing map and I think zelda is a Canadian version with a uk map or something weird but it's all otherwise complete.

any idea on costs for the lot?

is a £1000 to ambitious? Snes prices seem all over the place at the mo.

IMG_1660.JPG

If you get the best prices on those you'd probably be up £600 at best after costs (depending on how high the prices swing) but £500 world be a better target. That said Zelda will fetch you a pretty penny in that condition.