rllmuk

Selling collection - anyone else feeling the same way?

Nobody who’s high on cocaine cares how to spell it?!

Anyway I’ve sold my collection twice already and I’m buying back things a third time. This time when I run out of room or whatever, it’s going in the loft. That way when I change my mind again I just have to fight spiders instead of mental folk on eBay...

1 hour ago, StoooTube said:

Nobody who’s high on cocaine cares how to spell it?!

Anyway I’ve sold my collection twice already and I’m buying back things a third time. This time when I run out of room or whatever, it’s going in the loft. That way when I change my mind again I just have to fight spiders instead of mental folk on eBay...

What happens when the lofts full?

22 hours ago, bplus said:

My problem is I basically spend all day in front of a screen at work programming. Spending my free time in front of a game feels like work sometimes.

Yeah I get like this. I'm surrounded by old games at work, whether I'm reading about them or playing them and I rarely fancy it when I'm at home. I know that probably makes me sound incredibly ungrateful but I'd rather p,at on my switch or ds or just look at photos of birds online.

• 2 months later...

I'd been mulling selling my Gamecube collection for a while and with Nintendo now porting most of their classic games and the chances of me plugging a Gamecube back in minimal I started to offload my collection this week. I'd also started to go digital only with modern systems to reduce the amount of clutter in my house and I'd had some of these games for 15 years at this point which they'd mostly spent unused sat in a plastic tub which feels like a waste. I may come to regret it later but I've decided to stick to handhelds for now, if I ever want to play a DS game I can just grab the machine and go and with its unique design the chances of ports of those games in the future is slim without them losing something along the way which is something that cannot be said of other systems. 

2 hours ago, ryodi said:

I'd been mulling selling my Gamecube collection for a while and with Nintendo now porting most of their classic games and the chances of me plugging a Gamecube back in minimal I started to offload my collection this week. I'd also started to go digital only with modern systems to reduce the amount of clutter in my house and I'd had some of these games for 15 years at this point which they'd mostly spent unused sat in a plastic tub which feels like a waste. I may come to regret it later but I've decided to stick to handhelds for now, if I ever want to play a DS game I can just grab the machine and go and with its unique design the chances of ports of those games in the future is slim without them losing something along the way which is something that cannot be said of other systems. 

It's always hard to get rid of things, but I find it quite cathartic when you finally do. I've sold a few games recently, but I still haven't really delved into my collection properly. You can always buy stuff back when you change your mind and as prices get higher you're just more careful about what you buy back :)

On 11/3/2017 at 09:38, strider said:

This has been coming for a while but I've decided I'm going to sell a large portion of my games collection.

I want to buy a half-decent spotting scope for my bird-watching and their high cost means this is going to be the best way to achieve that.

I'm mainly planning to sell my NTSC SNES/Super Famicom collection and my Japanese shooter Dreamcast collection as they probably have the highest value and will help me obtain my goal quicker.

Despite the fact that virtually all my games are also on my mame cabinet I have no interest in selling my Saturn collection, or my Mega Drive games and I'm not going to touch my Xbox or DS collections either as they both give me a lot of satisfaction still. I hate selling stuff, particularly SNES games as they are a bugger to post, but I think it's time to downsize and I'm guessing I'm going to have the least emotional attachment to those systems.

Anyone else feeling the same way? Do you like to purge. Do you just sell stuff here? Do you regret your decisions? Do you want a spotting scope as well?

Sold/binned mine years ago... stopped collecting stuff there and then and emptied out my loft. Found I had fuck loads of stuff that just sat there doign nothing.... very theraputic to get rid of it...

It even made me realize what a complete fucking con collectors/special editions are!

• Upvote 2
22 hours ago, strider said:

It's always hard to get rid of things, but I find it quite cathartic when you finally do. I've sold a few games recently, but I still haven't really delved into my collection properly. You can always buy stuff back when you change your mind and as prices get higher you're just more careful about what you buy back :)

Absolutely. I used to have an N64 and much larger GBA collection as well and a combination of cardboard boxes being a massive pain to store and the rise of the VC made keeping them pointless so I sold them which I felt bad about at the time but can now barely remember. The great thing is Nintendo isn't shy about porting games so I would not be surprised if Thousand Year Door ends up on Switch at some point and the other high value games I got rid of either hadn't played for a decade and would never touch again like Four Swords or I bought it just to have it even though it isn't very good (Mario Baseball, Kirby's Air Ride). If they end up selling for hundreds of pounds in the future I might start kicking myself but like the N64 games I sold I'll probably have forgotten about it by then.

9 minutes ago, ryodi said:

IIf they end up selling for hundreds of pounds in the future I might start kicking myself but like the N64 games I sold I'll probably have forgotten about it by then.

That's always one of the things that puts me off. I think as long as you're happy with the price you got it shouldn't matter. For example, some of the saturn shooters I sold a coup,e of years ago for £60 now sell for around £150. I put all the money at the time towards a £900 camera lens and I've never regretted it for a second.

I bit the bullet and started selling off my SNES collection recently. I already sold a few rarities before we bought our house 5 years ago, but now it's time to get rid of the rest. I honestly can't remember the last time I played a lot of the games, so what with emulation being so easy, plus SNES Mini and Virtual Console etc. it just seems silly to keep everything in a box out in the garage.  

I'm just keeping the console and a handful of classics, plus a couple of sentimental items that I've had since my childhood.  

• Upvote 3
  • 7 months later...

Bit of a bump, but I've now decided to start selling my stuff off. With emulation being as good as it is now - I've never liked playing console games on PC, weirdly - I don't feel the need to keep stuff any more. If I want to play Zombies on SNES, I can play it on my Wii, with a classic controller, easier than firing up the SNES. 

I've never been a collector, exactly. I've only really bought stuff that I want to play. If there's an easier way to do that than the original hardware, then I'm going to do that, which means my SNES  and MD carts are literally just gathering dust.

I listed eight games on eBay last night...

3 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Bit of a bump, but I've now decided to start selling my stuff off. With emulation being as good as it is now - I've never liked playing console games on PC, weirdly - I don't feel the need to keep stuff any more. If I want to play Zombies on SNES, I can play it on my Wii, with a classic controller, easier than firing up the SNES. 

I've never been a collector, exactly. I've only really bought stuff that I want to play. If there's an easier way to do that than the original hardware, then I'm going to do that, which means my SNES  and MD carts are literally just gathering dust.

I listed eight games on eBay last night...

Got a list anywhere? Or even just a photo of a heap. :D

Mostly interested in controllers, although I'd also be interested in Gameboy stuff in general.

1 minute ago, Alexlotl said:

Got a list anywhere? Or even just a photo of a heap. :D

Super Star Wars (US) 
Batman Returns (US) 
World Cup Striker 
Universal adapter  
Lion King  
WWf Wrestlemania   
Super Tennis 
The Simpsons: Barts Nightmare  Complete - Boxed, manuals and plastic bag
WWF Royal Rumble
NBA Jam 
Mrtal Kombat II Someone has written the Mortal Kombat 2 on the top of the cartridge
Populous   
Street Fighter II 
Mortal Kombat  Boxed with Instructions. The box is tatty and the instructions water damaged

7 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

Original/Pocket. Looking at getting some 1990s Switch action going between the Super Gameboy and portable hardware.

Nice. I was hoping you’d say Advance as I have a pile of games to sell, and finding random boxes to post each one is a pain...

I have a handful of original GB games. Is there anything in particular you’re after?

1 hour ago, gossi the dog said:

Nice. I was hoping you’d say Advance as I have a pile of games to sell, and finding random boxes to post each one is a pain...

I have a handful of original GB games. Is there anything in particular you’re after?

Pokemon Red/Blue, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid 2, Avenging Spirit, Hammering Harry, Tetris, James Bond 007, Mole Mania, Bubble Ghost, Golf, Motocross Maniacs, Gargoyle’s Quest, Final Fantasy Adventure, Kirby’s Dream Land 1 & 2, Mario Land 2, Wario Land, Wario Land 2, Cyriad, Lock & Chase, Qix, Batman (Sunsoft), Balloon Kid, Ghostbusters 2, Revenge of the Gator, Kwirk, Mercenary Force. 

Or anything else you have that’s interesting. 

12 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

It’ll cost more to post (~£3 second class) than CEX sell it for.

Yeah, I had a quick look on eBay and it regularly goes for 99p. My copy is in really good nick, at least. It got opened by my housemate, played once and put back. Which is slightly annoying, since it might actually be worth something if he hadn't unsealed it.

7 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Yeah, I had a quick look on eBay and it regularly goes for 99p. My copy is in really good nick, at least. It got opened by my housemate, played once and put back. Which is slightly annoying, since it might actually be worth something if he hadn't unsealed it.

If you have less than 4 controllers buy more. Set up the Dreamcast. Play against the family. It’s a brilliant multiplayer game.

• Upvote 1

I've got an imminent house move coming up and need to move on a large part of my games collection. Is there anywhere that buys collections as the thought of selling things on eBay feels like a full time job to get things moved.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1