IGNORED

Selling collection - anyone else feeling the same way?

strider

13 hours ago, hat said:

I've got an imminent house move coming up and need to move on a large part of my games collection. Is there anywhere that buys collections as the thought of selling things on eBay feels like a full time job to get things moved.

CEX will buy anything PAL. Their prices are all over the shop, but could be an option if you just want to get rid quickly.

• 1 year later...

(Coughs theatrically as I boot closest approximate topic thread up the arse and push it stumbling into the daylight).

So, what with the dawn of a new (and almost certainly underwhelming) generation of consoles - which I'll probably eventually end up buying despite myself just to coo appropriately at the latest thing for a few days before putting the pad down and going back and playing the same 5 or 6 games I always play anyway (generally 4X and roguelikes as I just want something I can *finish* at that point in time, even if I then come back for like 300 hours anyway. Getting old is weird sometimes) - I find myself looking at the piles of games I have dotted around for systems from previous decades and realising that most, if not all, of them could probably be hawked to pay for such an upgrade. As, honestly, I'd probably say 99% of them remain unplayed once I hook something new up to the TV and every time I run across anything, I'm struck with both existential angst at not having done more with it all and simmering resentment at the amount of space it all takes up.

So, I'm looking for advice. As I'm appallingly lazy and can't be arsed dealing with someone on ebay arguing over the length of a slight scratch on a 25 year old game so that they can steal the pittance they paid me for it (let alone deal with actually listing, posting and all the rest of the bloody hassle), I was thinking of just shifting the majority in bulk loads. Like, list the 100 360 games, the 30 (or however many) N64 and Saturn, etc. etc. as a bulk lot, cash on collection. £100 a format (or whatever - I recognise it'll almost certainly be much less for the piles of PS3 and 360 games) to come and get what has essentially become my rubbish; much as it may have started as something of a curated collection at some point. I'm not proposing a lucky dip or anything here, I'll list the games so people know what they're getting, but I simply can't be bothered haggling over single titles.

Does anyone have any experience basically shifting a big old mass of stuff like this? Is there something better or more reliable, or less likely to leave me rueing an elaborate con where I'm left with ashes (although with a refreshingly empty garage)? There's an appalling amount of stuff, including N64, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube, 360, PS3, PSP, Vita, DS, GBA, GB, 3DS... I just want it all gone. There's hardware as well - some of it modded, or with ODEs; as well as arcade sticks, twin sticks, steering wheels... loads.  I'll keep the previous generation, but I think that - emulation devices or similar aside - that'll be my limit for my own sanity.

NB. Despite my willingness to get rid of it all (or just chuck it in a big fire for the catharsis), I'm not *completely* insane. I'm aware that certain games (Panzer Dragoon Saga; Street Fighter Collection; etc.) routinely go for baffling, eye-watering amounts - and I'll probably sell them separately (although again, any suggestions for shifting them are welcome. I think I'd honestly welcome like 60% of the standard going prices on such things just to save myself some hassle).

In summary - and to avoid you having to read all of the above - I have a shitload of old games to sell. Any suggestions as to the best, laziest, least likely to leave me in penury way to do it?

6 hours ago, plateofchips said:

(Coughs theatrically as I boot closest approximate topic thread up the arse and push it stumbling into the daylight).

So, what with the dawn of a new (and almost certainly underwhelming) generation of consoles - which I'll probably eventually end up buying despite myself just to coo appropriately at the latest thing for a few days before putting the pad down and going back and playing the same 5 or 6 games I always play anyway (generally 4X and roguelikes as I just want something I can *finish* at that point in time, even if I then come back for like 300 hours anyway. Getting old is weird sometimes) - I find myself looking at the piles of games I have dotted around for systems from previous decades and realising that most, if not all, of them could probably be hawked to pay for such an upgrade. As, honestly, I'd probably say 99% of them remain unplayed once I hook something new up to the TV and every time I run across anything, I'm struck with both existential angst at not having done more with it all and simmering resentment at the amount of space it all takes up.

So, I'm looking for advice. As I'm appallingly lazy and can't be arsed dealing with someone on ebay arguing over the length of a slight scratch on a 25 year old game so that they can steal the pittance they paid me for it (let alone deal with actually listing, posting and all the rest of the bloody hassle), I was thinking of just shifting the majority in bulk loads. Like, list the 100 360 games, the 30 (or however many) N64 and Saturn, etc. etc. as a bulk lot, cash on collection. £100 a format (or whatever - I recognise it'll almost certainly be much less for the piles of PS3 and 360 games) to come and get what has essentially become my rubbish; much as it may have started as something of a curated collection at some point. I'm not proposing a lucky dip or anything here, I'll list the games so people know what they're getting, but I simply can't be bothered haggling over single titles.

Does anyone have any experience basically shifting a big old mass of stuff like this? Is there something better or more reliable, or less likely to leave me rueing an elaborate con where I'm left with ashes (although with a refreshingly empty garage)? There's an appalling amount of stuff, including N64, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube, 360, PS3, PSP, Vita, DS, GBA, GB, 3DS... I just want it all gone. There's hardware as well - some of it modded, or with ODEs; as well as arcade sticks, twin sticks, steering wheels... loads.  I'll keep the previous generation, but I think that - emulation devices or similar aside - that'll be my limit for my own sanity.

NB. Despite my willingness to get rid of it all (or just chuck it in a big fire for the catharsis), I'm not *completely* insane. I'm aware that certain games (Panzer Dragoon Saga; Street Fighter Collection; etc.) routinely go for baffling, eye-watering amounts - and I'll probably sell them separately (although again, any suggestions for shifting them are welcome. I think I'd honestly welcome like 60% of the standard going prices on such things just to save myself some hassle).

In summary - and to avoid you having to read all of the above - I have a shitload of old games to sell. Any suggestions as to the best, laziest, least likely to leave me in penury way to do it?

Yes.... let me know what you've got, and I'll throw money in your direction ....

I would say it’s worth the effort to look at completed prices on eBay to see if any of the games are worth a significant amount. I accurately describe everything I list, and I haven’t had any issues with people quibbling over the condition in years of selling. Sell when it’s the £1 final value fee offer to maximise your take. I also only ever list as buy it now with best offer. If you still want to bundle the majority of stuff still, I guess the trading folder is as good a place as any to try to shift it.

8 hours ago, plateofchips said:

Take out the titles that go for a significant sum & sell those on their own. Everything else bundle together and get rid.

It's the old time = money equation

Sell as a bundle = get less but get rid quickly

Sell individual - get the best prices but takes way longer and a lot more trips to the post office, taking photos, cleaning and packaging items etc

For me anything worth around £5 stick in a bundle, anything more sell on it's own

I should probably make a concerted effort to sell more stuff and switch to Everdrives. I started selling games for the first time in my life a couple of years ago, and got rid of a bunch of childhood stuff that I still get big pangs of regret about, but I'm sure those would be eased as much by using an Everdrive as by collecting them all again. The point of selling them in the first place was to fund a more pruned or curated selection of games, mostly my favourite shmups, but I quickly ended up going back to buying anything I was vaguely interested in (especially Mega Drive and SFC stuff I was feeling particularly nostalgic towards), so my 'collection' is about the same size as before...

36 minutes ago, gospvg said:

I would say if it sells for £20 or more sell on it's own. Anything less then bundle.

I bought a joblot of 49 Japanese Dreamcast games off ebay last year for £200 at auction. I kept 11 I wanted, and sold the rest for £572.48 (after fees) making a profit of £352.48. I bundled 9 of the cheap ones together, bundled up series i.e Crazy Taxi 1 & 2 and listed the rest individually. Most sold for between £10-£20 so those do add up.  Took a lot of time and effort though to clean, photograph, list, pack and send. There is no shortcut really, you want the money you best put in the effort. 

Sound advice, I think from all - and appreciated. I don't think I have the time or inclination to check the value of everything (and I'm fairly certain that the majority of, for example, the 360 stuff will go for buttons), but I'll certainly have a look at the older things and the more obvious rarities. I think if someone had come up to me a few days ago and said something like "£1500 (or whatever) and I'll take it all", I'd have been letting off fireworks in celebration as I handed them the keys to the garage - but I'm sure I can spend a day or so at least seeing what's there.

It'll be an interesting battle between apathy and avarice either way.

As regards Everdrives and the like - I think that's the way I'm increasingly going for the stuff I still want to play. I already have a Super NT and Mega SG and while I used to care about ensuring everything was RGB and geometry correct and 60hz and etc. - there's just too much to keep up with to care that much about all of that stuff and the experience with the Analogue devices (for example) and an Everdrive-y device is more than close enough for my purposes. I'd love a similar thing for Saturn/PS1/N64, but the truth is that emulation is probably enough as well for now - as I can't remember the last time I actually played a Saturn game (other than things like Guardian Heroes on XBLA).

Age, eh?

3 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

I bought a joblot of 49 Japanese Dreamcast games off ebay last year for £200 at auction. I kept 11 I wanted, and sold the rest for £572.48 (after fees) making a profit of £352.48. I bundled 9 of the cheap ones together, bundled up series i.e Crazy Taxi 1 & 2 and listed the rest individually. Most sold for between £10-£20 so those do add up.  Took a lot of time and effort though to clean, photograph, list, pack and send. There is no shortcut really, you want the money you best put in the effort. 

That's a good turn around, requires a lot of effort though so well done. I would have given up after listing the first 10 games.

There are definitely optical drive emulators available for the Saturn, plateofchips, but they usually involve replacing the CD drive entirely (e.g. the Terraonion MODE). I think there was one that plugged into the back (near where the save battery goes) but I can't remember the name...

1 minute ago, Tomcat said:

Do you have any Atari Lynx stuff?

Sadly, that's (perhaps bizarrely) the one system I got rid of a few years back as I had a friend who was oddly enthusiastic about the Lynx. I'm 99% certain I didn't have any rarities or anything interesting anyway - a Lynx 2 with Roadblasters, Blue Lightning, APB, Chip's Challenge, Electrocop and maybe 1 or 2 others was as far as it went. Apologies.

2 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

There are definitely optical drive emulators available for the Saturn, plateofchips, but they usually involve replacing the CD drive entirely (e.g. the Terraonion MODE). I think there was one that plugged into the back (near where the save battery goes) but I can't remember the name...

I've got one (a Rhea. Or a Phoebe. Whichever one it is that fits the 21 pin Saturn) and one for the Dreamcast (DCEmu) that I - shamefully - have failed to fit to either machine. Enthusiasm tempered by eventual indifference seems to be the way it goes, hence the need for rationalisation.

18 minutes ago, plateofchips said:

Sound advice, I think from all - and appreciated. I don't think I have the time or inclination to check the value of everything (and I'm fairly certain that the majority of, for example, the 360 stuff will go for buttons), but I'll certainly have a look at the older things and the more obvious rarities. I think if someone had come up to me a few days ago and said something like "£1500 (or whatever) and I'll take it all", I'd have been letting off fireworks in celebration as I handed them the keys to the garage - but I'm sure I can spend a day or so at least seeing what's there.

It'll be an interesting battle between apathy and avarice either way.

As regards Everdrives and the like - I think that's the way I'm increasingly going for the stuff I still want to play. I already have a Super NT and Mega SG and while I used to care about ensuring everything was RGB and geometry correct and 60hz and etc. - there's just too much to keep up with to care that much about all of that stuff and the experience with the Analogue devices (for example) and an Everdrive-y device is more than close enough for my purposes. I'd love a similar thing for Saturn/PS1/N64, but the truth is that emulation is probably enough as well for now - as I can't remember the last time I actually played a Saturn game (other than things like Guardian Heroes on XBLA).

Age, eh?

Worth noting! If you've not already, you can install the Jailbreak firmware (which is literally made by the guy who programmed the machines) and run ROM's off an SD card, therefore you don't even need an Everdrive for the Mega SG to get Megadrive, Game Gear and Master System games working. 

The Jailbreak firmware doesn't even feel hacky at all. It's basically a fully featured version of the firmware. 

You can do the same with the Super NT, but there's no assist chip support. To get that you will need a SD2SNES, or FXPAK as they call it now. 

You only need an Everdrive type solution like the Everdrive Pro or Mega SD to play Mega CD games. 

11 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Any Master System? I might be able to help there. If you're at least prepared to go down to the system level.

While I grew up with a Master System (after a Spectrum, natch), it sadly was part of the original 1993 purge (along with my Megadrive and SNES). I've regretted it since, even though I fully accept I'd now just be gratefully shovelling them in your direction after they'd languished in a box for 3 decades.

Anyway, no Master System, apologies.

7 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Worth noting! If you've not already, you can install the Jailbreak firmware (which is literally made by the guy who programmed the machines) and run ROM's off an SD card, therefore you don't even need an Everdrive for the Mega SG to get Megadrive, Game Gear and Master System games working. 

The Jailbreak firmware doesn't even feel hacky at all. It's basically a fully featured version of the firmware. 

You can do the same with the Super NT, but there's no assist chip support. To get that you will need a SD2SNES, or FXPAK as they call it now. 

You only need an Everdrive type solution like the Everdrive Pro or Mega SD to play Mega CD games. 

Yeah, I use the hacked firmware for GG games on the Mega SG (or rather, I have done so twice and marvelled at zooming the minuscule resolution up to 4K and it looking utterly ludicrous) but I already had the Everdrive and it lets me play the now-underwhelming, but still-impressive-to-teenage-me MD version of Virtua Racing. Likewise with the SD2SNES and the various chip games. But definitely good advice for anyone else considering picking one up.

2 hours ago, klargon said:

A quick shortcut if you want to see the more valuable games on a system without checking them individually is just to sort completed listings for a platform by price high to low and see if any of yours appear.

Another way is to sort a CEX search for the system the same way