Selling collection - anyone else feeling the same way?

strider

I’ve sold many a collection in my time. The greatest thing i’ve Learnt is that you’ll need to bust open the wallet to rebuy in the future. I remember selling a wondermega, laseractive, RGB modded Jpn sega hardware, and really nice Japanese stuff for a sixth of the price it sells for now. Keep the really expensive stuff and get rid of the tat.

36 minutes ago, Welrain said:

How did you end of all those PSP cases.

lol quite a few years ago I used to run a boot sale every sunday. Surplus stock left over.

31 minutes ago, dvdx2 said:

I’ve sold many a collection in my time. The greatest thing i’ve Learnt is that you’ll need to bust open the wallet to rebuy in the future. I remember selling a wondermega, laseractive, RGB modded Jpn sega hardware, and really nice Japanese stuff for a sixth of the price it sells for now. Keep the really expensive stuff and get rid of the tat.

I think keep what you want and sell the rest. Currently I have kept my slimline PS1, PS2 and Gameboy Console collection.

2 hours ago, dvdx2 said:

Why did you sell?

Are you actually buying anything back at six times the price?

1 hour ago, acidbearboy said:

Why did you sell?

Are you actually buying anything back at six times the price?

I just saw all this stuff that was sitting there unused. No I am pretty much done buying retro. My rasp pi to bvm takes care of that - I remember selling a load of really nice Jpn Md games like gleylancer, twinkle tale and steel empire  for about £30 each back in 2005. They are going for well over six times that now!

Gotta say, I am sometimes tempted to sell some high value items I never use and use the proceeds towards a MiSTer.

That way I'll suddenly have good quality approximations of all the consoles & libraries etc I've been missing.. and have it paid for by - at this point in my life - a bunch of trophy pieces that permanently live in a storage box.

Maybe get rid of the Mega CD stuff whilst the discs are still pristine and functional, along with a couple of nice-to-have Saturn and MD games I never grew into. Some boxed SNES stuff too.

I need a kick up the arse and should really put some games and excess hardware up for sale in Trading. 

8 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

I need a kick up the arse and should really put some games and excess hardware up for sale in Trading. 

That's how I feel. I don't like the idea of constantly heading over to the post office so I might find a collector to pick up all the lower-cost items I've started to amass and don't want.

46 minutes ago, strider said:

That's how I feel. I don't like the idea of constantly heading over to the post office

I offered you the full asking price you listed for Donkey Konga on GameCube, requesting you make a grilled cheese sandwich with the disc, then place that in the GC box and slam it shut so the cheese and bread squishes everywhere, and then put it in a dustbin, instead of posting it (thus saving you the trip), and to just email me the video of all this happening, and you never replied. :(

In my experience, whether or not mister can fully replace original hardware/games depends on how far down the rabbit hole you are.

The actual gameplay feels the same on the mister as it does on my megacd, amiga etc, but the overall experience feels different, less satisfying. 

I speak only for myself here, but part of the fun of playing retro games has always been the sort of time machine effect that you get when you set up the original hardware, play some games on an amiga/snes/ps1 connected to crt, maybe flick through the manual/admire the boxart, the same way you did when the machine was new.  It's hard to explain/discuss this side of retro gaming, as it isn't something that can be measured as easily as frames of lag, and it also very much doesn't fit in with the general tone of a lot of this forum's opinion on original hardware/games. I suppose one could either claim it's about the full/real experience of a console/moment in gaming history, or else just dismiss it as nostalgic nonsense.

That said, for me there's more of a difference in how I feel about the fullness of the experience/level of enjoyment I get from playing between original hardware and a mister than there is between a mister and a pi 3 running 8/16 bit games on a crt (despite the amazingly huge differences in lag etc that supposedly exist but are in reality barely/not perceptible). 

Everyone should play retro games however they want, it's all good. Even playing with an emulator on a PC on a keyboard.

Then it's all diminishing returns as you go Controller -> dedicated box -> Mister -> Dedicated FPGA -> Completely original

I have all of them but it's mostly the Analogue SG that gets used because it's 99% of the way there.

Which does mean I bought a £200 megadrive cycle accurate recreation in order for it to spend the vast majority of its time playing Master System games.

I feel the nostalgia of that original game setup; Console + Controller and CRT is past the point of return now, at least for me. The last time I picked up an original retro console was a Dreamcast and it looked so bad on a HDTV through RRB Scart, I was actually gutted. When I started to look into a VGA > HDMI adaptor, it just started getting out of hand.

Now, using the Re;Dream Emulator, I can play in native 1440 resolution on my monitor and using a Widescreen hack, the games look as great as I remember them. I just can't go back to original hardware now.

Soul Calibur - Xianghua

Resident Evil Code Veronica

Daytona USA 2001

Yep, there are some situations where emulation can be ahead, although you're still gonna have lag there.  The FPGA clone consoles can best of both worlds this, the SG outputting seamlessly to native 1080P (including the rarely seen 1080P50) is why it spends more time plugged in.

But much like those idiots complaining about difficulty levels, I'm not gonna say you're somehow not playing the game there.  Of course you are, and the role of both emulation and FPGA in preservation is immense.

Then again I may not be exhibit A, today I have played a Game Gear game on an actual no fooling Game Gear (Thanks Das!), A Master system game on the SG, a PC game that could run on a potato on a ninja bastard modern PC and 2 Xbox One games on an Xbox Series :P

10 hours ago, Dudley said:

Then again I may not be exhibit A, today I have played a Game Gear game on an actual no fooling Game Gear (Thanks Das!), A Master system game on the SG, a PC game that could run on a potato on a ninja bastard modern PC and 2 Xbox One games on an Xbox Series :P

Everyday at work...

Work.jpg

5 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Actually that's one that might suffer less from the resolution drop. Good call.

Also no mains lead?  You must have some good rechargeables :)

The GG screen mod is awesome, I'm slowly working my way through Golden Axe Warrior at work thanks to this sometimes whilst people are out of the office :lol:

I bought some really good high quality ones a couple of years ago for my Oculus Quest remotes. Really high rating so last for ages on stuff like this, def longer than normal batteries.