4K Blu Ray - anyone collecting?

1 hour ago, Welrain said:

You’ve lost your mind and missed out Commando.

Commando is a guilty pleasure for sure.

“CHENNNNNNEY!”

Re: Suspiria chat

The Videa 4K release is, as expected, exactly the same as the CultFilms BD release, but in 4K. An upgrade, but very minor, to be honest! No HDR.

Synapse release sounds definitive, so I'll look forward to that arriving soon. 

The Cult Films restoration looks amazing though, I’m dubious another release will look anywhere near as good even with HDR. There’s a lot of creative middle-ground when restoring old films and the Cult Films version of Suspiria might be the most impressive I’ve ever seen.

24 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

The Cult Films restoration looks amazing though, I’m dubious another release will look anywhere near as good even with HDR. There’s a lot of creative middle-ground when restoring old films and the Cult Films version of Suspiria might be the most impressive I’ve ever seen.

It really is fantastic, I completely agree. One of the best BDs I've ever seen, too. 

That said, all reports are that the Synapse UHD release is supposedly the best available. It's possible that it's got more attention in various online quarters simply by virtue of being a US release, but I'll defo report back.

• 1 month later...

Super 8 is getting a 10 year anniversary 4K steelbook release in may. Can’t seem to find any uk retailers selling the pre order. It’s on a few American sites but the shipping is far too much. Any idea if this is getting a uk release? 

Slightly disappointed in Alien after all the hype. It looks great, but so does the normal blu ray.

Alien Covenant was a belter though. Absolutely stunning picture quality 

9 hours ago, Triple A said:

nah man Alien 4K is a great disc

Don’t get me wrong, it’s very good indeed. But as I said, my blu ray copy  was already first class.

On 21/03/2021 at 07:01, Jonnycash said:

Super 8 is getting a 10 year anniversary 4K steelbook release in may. Can’t seem to find any uk retailers selling the pre order. It’s on a few American sites but the shipping is far too much. Any idea if this is getting a uk release? 

Like all the UK arms of various studios, Paramount UK are fucking terrible for not announcing titles until near the date of release. 

Or they do weird shit like releasing three Tom Cruise movies at once, but fuck you if you wanna pick up Collateral.

Captain America TFA

A poor upgrade from the standard blu ray and if I hadn’t known I was watching it in 4K then I would never have guessed it wasn’t 1080. 

I was planning to upgrade all the MCU to 4K, but doubt I’ll bother if Captain Marvel doesn’t look stunning. 

I've collected up all the Marvel ones and I've been disappointed. None have looked particularly sharp or much of an improvement over the blu rays if you faff with the colour settings (tbf, I can't be arsed doing that). Definitely not much of a leap from the UHD streams on D+

Captain Marvel is probably the worst. I don't know what it was, but I watched it during a sunny day and couldn't see anything. Not had that bother before. Usually with a UHD the benefit is I can whack the backlight up and see everything. 

7 hours ago, sandman said:

Captain America TFA

A poor upgrade from the standard blu ray and if I hadn’t known I was watching it in 4K then I would never have guessed it wasn’t 1080. 

I disagree. 

Like ALL of the Marvel UHDs, it shows just how awful the colours on the Blu-ray discs actually are. 

I hate how TFA looked on Blu-ray, the same with Thor. 

Dull, drab and lifeless. 

I defy anyone to go back to The Avengers Blu-ray, after seeing the 4K version. 

10 hours ago, Steve McQueef said:

I disagree. 

Like ALL of the Marvel UHDs, it shows just how awful the colours on the Blu-ray discs actually are. 

I hate how TFA looked on Blu-ray, the same with Thor. 

Dull, drab and lifeless. 

I defy anyone to go back to The Avengers Blu-ray, after seeing the 4K version. 

I agree, The Avengers especially. So crisp, colourful and the HDR is amazing.

I got the Dawn of the Dead and...I’m feeling a bit disappointed in all honesty. My mate said it looked amazing - maybe it’s me watching it via the Xbox One but other films (Ragnarok) have a pin sharp clarity. Appreciate this is a very old “cheap” film so wasn’t expecting the biggest upgrade but I’m not sure I can see that much difference compared to my old Arrow blu ray I cashed in to buy this...it’s usually things like clothes which stand out to me, but not so much this time...

Just put on the Synapse release of Dario Argento’s Suspiria. It’s absolutely stunning with fantastic hdr and a Dolby atmos audio track. 

Well worth picking up!

I’m always in two minds about buying the Akira 4k. It apparently has a lot of DNR. But then, how important is grain on an animation compared to live action? Less important I would say.

What's the HDR situation with Akira UHD these days?  I read that they messed up and didn't include HDR on the disc, but they were going to be sending new discs to people that fix the issue. Though, I don't know if they started or stopped that sending of correct discs yet (and if they stopped it, am I SOL if I get the UHD from somewhere now - tbh I think it's too expensive atm anyway).