4K Blu Ray - anyone collecting?

strider

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Wow! An incredible disc. The movie looks amazing from start to finish. A significant upgrade from the blu ray version. It’s top tier in its presentation and it’s certainly in my top 5 4K discs. 

15 minutes ago, strider said:

Is it the one with the actual HDR applied?

I think it’s a lottery at this point?

Manga UK have said they’ll send a replacement disc on receiving proof of purchase, assuming they still have any

4 hours ago, p1nseeker said:

Just preordered this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B093R5TJWT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's one of my favourite films so i couldn't resist.

See if you can re-order it using discount code DISCOUNT10P or DISCOUNT5P. 

The 10P one worked for my missus yesterday, I had her pre-order True Romance for £19.99 shipped and cancelled my own order. 

I used the 5P one this morning for Mortal Kombat. They're for purchases over £25, so I threw the cheapest ruler I could find in with it lol

52 minutes ago, Steve McQueef said:

Amazon actually send something to me early and I've to request a replacement, as the case was smashed to bits. 

bHkftNTm.jpg

Also received my replacement Donnie Darko disc from Arrow, today. 

What did you send as proof of purchase? I sent my email receipt and a shot of my zavvi order page.

4011976350385.jpg

I imported this German release after hearing some good things. Flicked it on for ten minutes and it looks good! I believe it's the original German version so some changes to the release I saw thirty-odd years ago, better soundtrack apparently, but I can't remember it well enough to compare. 

Clearly a no-brainer for those who've watched it but having not seen the film for 30 years and not being particularly interested as a kid, I was absolutely blown away by Top Gun.

HDR and sound design are immense. Recommended to watch on the biggest screen you can with the loudest sound system. 

7 hours ago, Marlew said:

Clearly a no-brainer for those who've watched it but having not seen the film for 30 years and not being particularly interested as a kid, I was absolutely blown away by Top Gun.

HDR and sound design are immense. Recommended to watch on the biggest screen you can with the loudest sound system. 

The last time I watched it was the 3D Bluray. It was one of the better conversions I had seen.

On 05/07/2021 at 12:28, Marlew said:

The thing that stood out for me was when Goose dies and they're in the sea. The colours are really vivid there.

On 02/07/2021 at 00:33, strider said:

Is it the one with the actual HDR applied?

My Akira 4K turned up.

Is without HDR, so have e-mailed asking for the replacement disc.

One thing I got in an auto-reply while I wait for a human response, was the following:

"Please check the front of your copy for the black 'Includes Ultra HD' Sticker. If you have that, you already have the HDR version!" 

(mine didn't have that sticker on the cover or shrinkwrap)

6 minutes ago, Triple A said:

My Akira 4K turned up.

Is without HDR, so have e-mailed asking for the replacement disc.

One thing I got in an auto-reply while I wait for a human response, was the following:

"Please check the front of your copy for the black 'Includes Ultra HD' Sticker. If you have that, you already have the HDR version!" 

(mine didn't have that sticker on the cover or shrinkwrap)

Mine doesnt have hdr on the sticker but the hdr prompt comes up when the film starts.

11 minutes ago, strider said:

Mine doesnt have hdr on the sticker but the hdr prompt comes up when the film starts.

The HDR prompt comes up on my TV, however my player doesn't show the content as being in HDR nor show any HDR metadata. 

3 minutes ago, Triple A said:

The HDR prompt comes up on my TV, however my player doesn't show the content as being in HDR nor show any HDR metadata. 

Hmm a few films like Bladerunner 2049 don't show HDR metadata on my panasonic.

I'm only ever seen the HDR prompt come up when a HDR source is on my LG C8.

Maybe I'll get a replacement to be on the safe side.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but which is the better UHD Blu-Ray player: PS5 or Series X?

And HMV are currently doing two 4K Blu-Rays for £30. Is that a good price? I don't own any. Was thinking of picking up Parasite and 1917 - good choices?

@Steve McQueef I also got that Good, Bad, Ugly. Nice one.

@Jamie John I bet both consoles are very good players, probably depends on which has the better UI to your tastes.

2 for £30 is a decent (fairly common) sale price on 4K discs, yes. 

I've not personally seen Parasite but 1917 is a very good choice if you want to see what UHD Blu-ray looks like with a modern film in HDR. It's rather drab in fact, but there's a lot of detail and texture and plenty of shades of grey!

If you want a few more recommendations for so-called 'catalogue' films in 4K HDR, I'd recommend Jaws, Top Gun and Alien. The first two are particularly beautiful, very natural but vibrant. Alien isn't especially flashy but if you've got an OLED telly (which I seem to remember you do), you won't see such murky, deep shadows anywhere else. Amazing atmosphere.

If you like arthouse and genre stuff, I'd also recommend Suspiria (1977), Cinema Paradiso, Don't Look Now and Dawn of the Dead. All as good as they will ever look. 

Cheers @Marlew. I do have an OLED, yes, but as much as I love Alien, I've seen it more times than I've had hot dinners, so I'll pick it up if it's on offer.

Anyway, I've ordered Parasite and 1917, so I'll see if I can tell the difference between them and a 4K stream 👍