4K Blu Ray - anyone collecting?

strider

4 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Apologies if this has been asked before, but which is the better UHD Blu-Ray player: PS5 or Series X?

And HMV are currently doing two 4K Blu-Rays for £30. Is that a good price? I don't own any. Was thinking of picking up Parasite and 1917 - good choices?

I've found the disc drive on my Series X to be considerably noisier than my old One X, which wasn't audible at all when playing a movie.  Kind of a bummer really.

Same here; however, it's nothing compared to the jet engine that is my PS5's drive. I've not opted to compare them beyond that; 20 minutes of trying to watch Blade Runner on the PS5 was enough to convince me that no, it will never be my film playing device.

Ugh. I've found my ps5 to be silent apart from about 30 seconds to a minute when the film is put in (or selected, if it is already in). I think I'd be tempted to try getting it exchanged if it was constantly making all that racket. Although saying that, I don't know how much bother it is to do that at the mo.. 

Where do you guys keep all of your boxes and discs?

My DVD collection has long since been relegated to a disc folder and all the boxes have been recycled, but at £15 a pop, and with the cases as shiny as they are, I'm reluctant to do the same with UHD BDs. At the same time, however, space is at a premium in my house, so if I do start a little collection then I'm not sure where they're going to go.

@Jamie JohnPersonally, I don't have a massive amount of space, I've got a vertical shelf unit I bought specifically for BDs, fits maybe 80-100. I've then got three deep shelves so I can get two rows per shelf (lesser titles relegated to the back!). That probably gives me 100 per shelf, maybe more.

Most importantly, I operate a pretty ruthless eBay cull system. I blind buy a lot of stuff (probably 90%) and once I've watched it, if I don't really like it or have good reason to believe I'll want to watch it again, it goes on eBay. I normally make back 75% or so but quite often I break even if it's a LE release or something boutique. I currently have a whicker basket of about fifty titles I'll put on eBay when I get round to it.

Quite a lot of the boutique Blu-ray stuff tends to sell out of the initial run quite quickly before a standard edition is released. I'd rather gamble and then if I don't like it, I will wait til the standard and flog my LE copy. If I like it, great, I've got the smarter version with the booklet or what have you. For 4K stuff, besides the stuff I'm desperate to watch, I'll just wait for a sale. You can usually flog 4K releases near sale price on eBay. 

On 11/07/2021 at 09:24, Jamie John said:

Where do you guys keep all of your boxes and discs?

My DVD collection has long since been relegated to a disc folder and all the boxes have been recycled, but at £15 a pop, and with the cases as shiny as they are, I'm reluctant to do the same with UHD BDs. At the same time, however, space is at a premium in my house, so if I do start a little collection then I'm not sure where they're going to go.

UHDs were what forced me to put them into folders. I think they’re better for it since the UHD disc tends to just be the film, and the extras are on a blu ray (that I likely already have!) which are in another folder. 

- worth adding that I still have all the boxes hiding in the attic, where the problem is of course solved forever and will never bite me on the arse. 

I picked up My Fair Lady after hearing several gushing comments which eventually tipped me over the edge on payday. Wow. The detail and textures and colours are as good as anything I've seen. The lighting and shadows and motion, everything. It looks phenomenal. It's better than Jaws. 

Aside from Audrey Hepburn's Dick van Dyke ham and squawking in the early part of the film, it also sounds fantastic. Any time the choruses kick in, they're thick and detailed. You can pick out and place all the different voices, it's a sumptuous mix and a very healthy, natural soundstage.

Seriously, though, the visuals are spectacular. The upholstery, clothes, flowers, feathers, hair, taps, ceramics, carpets, buttons, sheets...literally everything. It doesn't look like a window, like The Revenant or whatever, it looks like pristine film. I can't recommend it enough. 

@Steve McQueef Damn, good deal. You don't strike me as a big musicals guy (I may be wrong!) but just on a pure AV level, it's well worth a watch when you get to it.

I'm sure it's come up before but what would your top 4K discs be? Any lesser known stuff I should check out? 

I am tempted by Basic Instinct having recently watched Total Recall and admired Stone in that. Not seen it in about 25 years. 

I've got this turning up today. 

13220_tn.jpg

Not seen it for a good fifteen years but have great memories of it. Not sure how good this is going to turn out in terms of detail, but hopefully the HDR will add something to the amazing costumes and the famous centrepiece. 

Basic Instinct looks awful, IMO. The new colour grade makes it look like Scorcese's The Aviator, which I doubt was the intention. 

Leave it well alone, or at least until there's a standard edition. 

Studio Canal appear to be on a crusade to fuck up as many Carolco titles as possible. 

9 minutes ago, Steve McQueef said:

Basic Instinct looks awful, IMO. The new colour grade makes it look like Scorcese's The Aviator, which I doubt was the intention. 

Leave it well alone, or at least until there's a standard edition. 

Studio Canal appear to be on a crusade to fuck up as many Carolco titles as possible. 

I liked it. I didn't like spending £40 on it.

2 hours ago, Marlew said:

Anyone got any Back To The Future impressions? Tempted by the trilogy in the HMV sale. 

With the caveat that there's still some tomfoolery with the first movie's transfer, (because like T2, it appears to be cursed), it's the best these movies have ever looked on a home format and worth every penny. 

To get back to your earlier post, I find myself enjoying more musicals as I get older and have waaaaaaaaaay too many discs to narrow down any sort of top ten. 

I'll throw this one out though, in terms of lesser known stuff... Logan Lucky. 

Gorgeous transfer, don't hear too many people bringing it up. 

Dunkirk.

Absolutely astonishing, a perfect disc to show off your setup. 

Black Hawk Down

A good disc, but nothing special. Perhaps I shouldn’t have watched it the day after Dunkirk. It’s certainly an assault on the senses but it’s very very saturated. 

I sat down to watch Parasite this evening, the theatrical release, not the black and white version.

Initially, the XSX wouldn't play it all after I downloaded the Blu-Ray app, then, once I'd reinstalled said app, I got as far as the title screen, but there was just a blank space where the disc options should be, 'Play movie', and so on, and no matter what I did I couldn't actually play the film.

So, after that I tried it in the PS5, but despite the console recognising the disc and showing me a little box art picture that matched the cover, every time I tried to play it I got an error message telling me that it was an invalid disc. I reset the console but got the same message each time.

After that I tried it on the XSX again and, typically, it worked first time. I watched it for about 40 minutes until I suddenly got some frame rate drops, then the audio went out of sync and this was followed by massive artefacting and picture distortion. I had to stop the film, eject the disc and load it again before it worked properly.

Overall, then, not the most promising of debuts for 4K discs, unfortunately. If I do decide to commit to watching these (and, admittedly, the picture quality when the film actually plays is pretty astonishing) then I may have to invest in the Panasonic 820 player that was mentioned up-thread. It's not cheap at £300, though.

Maybe I'll just go back to my 4K Netflix streams...

On 10/07/2021 at 19:40, strider said:

My Akira is borked so I'll have to get the replacement disc. Just seen there's an issue with Demons as well so need to see if mine is affected.

My Akira 4K HDR replacement disc turned up just now.  Have tested it and it's clearly outputting an HDR image and signal where the original disc wasn’t (HDR metadata now shows MaxFALL reading of 369 nits and image highlights are definitely using and showing the enhanced range - I haven't seen enough to pay attention to stuff like gradients yet though).

I posted this in my Wanted thread, thinking I was replying to this one, but it's more relevant here:

What's the general trend when it comes to companies bothering to produce 4K discs? From what I've seen, only certain films tend to get 4K releases, typically big action or sci-fi blockbusters (although there are obviously exceptions). There are some gorgeous films I'd like to see in 4K, though, that just haven't been released in that format - Under the Skin, for example, or The Favourite. Will everything eventually come to 4K, or is it just luck of the draw?

It's not a hard and fast rule that if a new film releases on Blu-Ray it'll be released on 4K BD at the same time, Midsommar being a good example.

There Will Be Blood in 4K would be awesome.