Tiny Text in Games

Harsin

Dragon Quest XI on the Switch has unnecessarily tiny text in handheld mode, it does that thing that seems common to a lot of Japanese games where you've got acres of space on the screen and then a really tiny font for no reason at all. You could easily bump the size up a few notches without having to redesign anything at all about the layout of the screen.

• 1 year later...

The Ascent was so bad for this, it finally made me order a pair of specs 30-odd years after being diagnosed with astigmatism. My vision is fine most of the time, but the TV distance is the un-sweet spot for my eyes.

The Ascent was particularly galling as I did the setup before playing and enlarged the subtitles size, but it made no difference to all the other text in the game, which obviously dwarves the amount of subtitles. I don't even like the game that much, but at least i'll be able to see it properly when my glasses arrive. 

I'm really surprised MS let that through. Having worked with them before, they're *really* up on Accessibility and I still refer to their guides now. The black on Army Green is also awful and must have failed the most basic contrast test. 

EULAs in mobile games are the best. But then some of them aren't much better when you're in-game. I think it was Nier Reincarnation - or maybe Idola Phantasy Star - that had an illegible scripture which probably assumed I was using an iPad or something.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/08/2021 at 16:37, shirubagan said:

I'm really surprised MS let that through. Having worked with them before, they're *really* up on Accessibility and I still refer to their guides now. The black on Army Green is also awful and must have failed the most basic contrast test. 

Psychonauts is bad for it in my opinion. On top of that crazy small text in that screen the maps are pretty but all the text around them is small and the colours make them hard to see the number markings. It doesn't really matter that much because the maps are a bit pointless really but it just seems unnecessary.

Last night I booted up Forza Horizon 4 on my S in the bedroom. It's "only" a 42" screen and quite a distance away so basically all of the text in any menu is completely unreadable. It's a shame because it really means that doing anything but cruising around is impossible. I hope to god they completely rework it for 5.