Psp and it's failure to dominate...

Fandango

Does nobody else reckon the psp, will do alot worse than what alot of people are expecting/predicting?...

Say you where a mum and you had a son who was ten or so, you'd sooner buy him something which looks more akin too a toy than a piece of star trek memrobila...

Where not even including the price of the 2 there...

If it's aimed at the mature market it'll sell there but that's not taking away from nintendo's share...So I think this knee jerk reaction by nintendo to invent some weird expensive battery eating mutalated gba is a bad idea, and will only lead too more psp sales...

"Oh look there a ninty ds advert, that reminds me of how stupid it is i'll buy an sp"

:blink:

What you all think...?...

J

Firstly we don't know what it looks like.

Secondly, consider the number of Walkmans, PlayStations, Nokia 3310s and 3330s, NESes, Gameboys etc. sold to youngsters. Do any of them look like a toy? No... so if it looks right, it won't have much of a problem.

You're right that it won't attack Nintendo's market share. That's never been the point. Just as the PS didn't go after Nintendo's kids market, this machine will target people who wouldn't be seen dead with a consumer electronics device called "Boy" with killer apps starring cartoon plumbers and elves. It will capture its own, new, adolescent-to-twenties market first, and then everyone will buy one.

Guest Nigel Benny

im def gettin one it looks way cool -my bruv says he's going to get one from japan when its out in the summer time (or christmas i dunno)

First you say it won't sell, and then you say it'll sell more because Nintendo makes stupid ads?

I think the PSP will be a pretty cool machine, and that it'll be a hugely desirable piece of portable kit for the 'mature market', like the walkman, MD player and iPod in their respective era. As far as I know it's not just a console, but also a media player and therefore it'll attract a lot of attention. I think Nintendo better puts it act together, because as wonderful the GBA is, it IS basically 15 year old technology.

You're right that it won't attack Nintendo's market share. That's never been the point. Just as the PS didn't go after Nintendo's kids market, this machine will target people who wouldn't be seen dead with a consumer electronics device called "Boy" with killer apps starring cartoon plumbers and elves. It will capture its own, new, adolescent-to-twenties market first, and then everyone will buy one.

I'll take this bet.

I willing to bet it's main audience is school kids, just like the Playstation and PS2. Oh, and do you write for PSM2? :blink:

I'll take this bet.

I willing to bet it's main audience is school kids, just like the Playstation and PS2. Oh, and do you write for PSM2? :blink:

I'm not a betting man, and no.

But you can have cackling rights if it turns out that it's aimed at school kids.

I've never been taken with portable gaming. I've got a GBA, and even messed up by buying an Atari Lynx in the distant past, but I have to say I prefer playing on a bigger screen.

However, whilst I don't think I'll personally be getting one, I do think if the design stays roughly the same as the pics, then it's a beautiful looking thing, and if it does the whole MP3 (or Sony equivalent) thing too, with those dinky discs and all, then it'll surely be a success.

The only thing which worries me is the whole 3D aspect. Whilst I can well appreciate the technical 'bling' of portable 3D gaming, I've played Tomb Raider on that Nokia N-Gage. Fuck me, my eyes. The screen. Too small. Argh...oooh....pain....etc etc.

But, go PSP. It could be the iPod of gaming consoles. Until Apple release iGame. Which'd be nice.

I think Nintendo better puts it act together, because as wonderful the GBA is, it IS basically 15 year old technology.

Could you carry a SNES in your pocket and run it for 15 hours on 2 AA batteries 15 years ago? No? Then it's not 15 year old technology at all is it?

My personal thought is that the PSP will sell well in the UK, as everyone buys anything with Sony on it. In the US it won't do anywhere near as well as parents will baulk at paying $250-$300 for a "Gameboy", and the general public will see it as an expensive geek gadget rather than a lifestyle choice. In Japan it'll do well because they love gadgets.

iGame : The best looking portable console ever. Huge specs. State of the art graphics.

And one game. A port of SimCity (the original)

The original Sim City? isn't that a couple decades old? even the gameboy color could handle that :blink: So it's going to have the same outlook on games that the Mac does :D

Not at $300 they won't. Not every kid in America has rich parents you know.

Another reason to suspect it will sell to 20-somethings first. Rather like the PS2 did, while the kids kept pestering to find out what it was like.

I then laughed at them and broke a crunchie over the head of one of them, before retiring to my stately mansion.

Kids don't really come into it.

-do they ever.

It's a well known statistic that it's the 18 to 70(!) year olds that spend all their wonga on games machines.

I don't think kids have ever been a factor.

How many of the 20 million US GBAs are owned by under 18s do you think?

My girlfriend's neice and nephew (6 and 10) both have GBAs and all their friends do. Add them up and I know more under 11 year olds with GBAs than 18+ people. The kids market is a huge one. Fair enough that Sony aren't going for this, but don't expect the PSP to sell as well as the GBA.

It's a well known statistic that it's the 18 to 70(!) year olds that spend all their wonga on games machines.

I don't think kids have ever been a factor.

I believe this statistic to be a big fat lie. Just like the one stating the huge amount of girl gamers.

More likely kids' moms buying them games and getting counted in the stats.

No it isn't. ALL of the tech the GBA uses; CPU, GPU, Screen Battery didn't exist then. The SP is pretty updtodate tech wise. It probably SHOULD be a lot cheaper though.

And the GBA is not based on the SNES tech.

True, it's all a lot smaller and snappier, but basically it can't do much more than a SNES or Amiga or any other machine from the 16/32 bit era. Obviously the miniaturising is very clever but that doesn't make it state of the art feature-wise. The N-Gage or your average PDA is much more powerful (and usually a lot more expensive too, though) while not being much bigger.

No it isn't. ALL of the tech the GBA uses; CPU, GPU, Screen Battery didn't exist then. The SP is pretty updtodate tech wise. It probably SHOULD be a lot cheaper though.

And the GBA is not based on the SNES tech.

yeah but unfortunately all we see are SNES games, mainly.

Nintendo are stuck in the past.

I personally think for a handheld console it has to be in a reasonably affordable range. The reason why I bought the Gameboy Advance & SP is because they were reasonably cheap. If I didn't play them much, then I wouldn't really care. (which is the case to be honest).

But if the PSP is really £250 then I'm seriously not gonna bother. Sure it can do a lot more and movies etc. But i'd rather play on a big screen and watch films on the big screen too.

I'm sure it will sell okay but not great. Not at that price anyway. Id buy one if it was £130 max, but even then I'd have to be impressed by several games.

True, it's all a lot smaller and snappier, but basically it can't do much more than a SNES or Amiga or any other machine from the 16/32 bit era. Obviously the miniaturising is very clever but that doesn't make it state of the art feature-wise. The N-Gage or your average PDA is much more powerful (and usually a lot more expensive too, though) while not being much bigger.

The technology of a handheld necessarily includes a lot of factors, graphical ability, power useage, size etc.

That's why the original GB was better tech than the Lynx for example. In terms of sheer pixel pushing, the Lynx was better but it was a dismal failure at its intended purpose of being a battery powered, handheld console.

So far I've yet to see a (really) powerful handheld machine with decent battery life. PocketPCs come close (and they have a lot of CPU power) but their battery life is still quite poor. And that machine doesn't have a disk drive. Most portable DVD players (and they are quite big) can barely manage a more than a single movie before the battery is drained.

PSP promises to be more powerful still. It will be interesting to see if (or how) Sony solve the battery\size issues.