Psp and it's failure to dominate...

Fandango

The original Sim City? isn't that a couple decades old? even the gameboy color could handle that :angry: So it's going to have the same outlook on games that the Mac does ;)

Harumph. Just you wait, just you wait I tells ya! <_<

Oh bugger, there's no way Apple or any Mac developer will be able to fulfill such a proposition.....

how can this forum already dismiss the Nintendo DS and the PSP?

you all know absolutley fuck all about it. I find this highly amusing.

that or you should all become product reasearchers as you clearly know what the mass market wants.

that or you should all become product reasearchers as you clearly know what the mass market wants.

I'm not dismissing anything. Actually I'm very curious what Sony and Nintendo will come up with, and chances are I'll get them both <_<

Quite honestly, if the Nintendo DS is anything other than an below average seller than I'll be amazed.

2 screens = novelty factor to me. And I cannot see any major benefits to it at all.

I sometimes wonder what comes over nintendo. Instead of focusing all their attention on one thing, they decide to go all spaccy and faff about with loads of other stuff.

All very noble and all, but I fail to see it as anything more than a money bleeding exercise.

But, as you point out, I know nothing about marketing whatsoever.

I could have probably guessed the outcome of the Virtual Boy but there we go.

Does nobody else reckon the psp, will do alot worse than what alot of people are expecting/predicting?...

Say you where a mum and you had a son who was ten or so, you'd sooner buy him something which looks more akin too a toy than a piece of star trek memrobila...

Where not even including the price of the 2 there...

If it's aimed at the mature market it'll sell there but that's not taking away from nintendo's share...So I think this knee jerk reaction by nintendo to invent some weird expensive battery eating mutalated gba is a bad idea, and will only lead too more psp sales...

"Oh look there a ninty ds advert, that reminds me of how stupid it is i'll buy an sp"

:huh:

What you all think...?...

J

No. It's going to sell bucket loads

It looks fucking brilliant. Its dead sexy, has shit loads of functions and , as you point out, is going to be aimed at the older end of the market.

Heres what happens.

It gets splashed around all the blokes mags. T3, FHM and all that.

It becomes the next "must have" gadget. The next Ipod.

Every 20 + year old bloke will be after one.

It will sell loads to this demographic.

From there, it will go onto must-have for everyone who wants to be20+ and cool as fuck. Yup. teenagers.

It's like a domino affect. Once you can get a product thats the high of Urban cool, Every fucker around wants it regardless of age.

Its going to clean up. There really is nothing thats going to stop it. Shit games certainly won't (look at the Ps2's launch range.. fucking awfull...)

I personally think for a handheld console it has to be in a reasonably affordable range.

Of cource it does'nt. The ipod has proved that price is not an issue. Fucking hell, owning an ipod is less restrictive than a PSP and they are flying of shelves.

With an ipod, you cant simply put a tape in and play. You need the technical

no-how to plug it into a computer and download/rip tunes.

An ipod is also very expensive compared to other forms of portable music device. hell, personal DVD players can be bought for £20. An ipod costs £199 +

If its cool enough and held in high enough esteem people will buy it because they are fashion victim sheep.

The thing with the DS, is that publishers havn't exactly been falling over themselves to screem about it from the rooftops. Its mostly been "we will see" or "we havnt decided yet"

I think the DS will really surprise us when it comes out. I have a feeling it won't be a handheld in the same sense as the gameboy/gameboy advance.

iPod 10GB: £240.

Expected PSP launch price: around £250

Not much of a difference!

Thats my point. With a PSP the main function is playing games. You simply put in a disc and play. If people are willing to fork out for a device, of a similar price that is harder to operate (and you can only use is you have access to a computer) and willing to buy it in large numbers it just goes to show that the PSP has a very very good chance of suceeding.

Add in other factors such as the cool factor asociated with any Sony Product and you'd have to be mental to bet against it.

If Konami's launch title is a Castlevania, you'll see me queing on Princes Street at midnight for one. Yes, even if the movies and music things are crap. If it only lives up to its potential as a games machine, and the music and video elements die, then it'll still be one hell of an event.

Of course, knowing my luck, it won't be out until Easter 2005, I'll have to que in the daytime next to prats, it'll rain, and won't come with a memory stick, and Konami's launch game will be something like... *thinks hard for a crap Konami franchise*...

Erm... the N64 Castlevanias.

The one thing about it that worries me, is from the pic of it from those powerpoint presentations.

As JPickford put it, they call it "Concept", which is Sony talk for "We never intend to release this". Come on, they said they were unveiling it at E3, that's when we'll see the final version.

The omission of shoulder buttons, a Memory Stick or USB or IR slot, or any of the other functional stuff, should sound alarm bells. :huh:

Kids don't really come into it.

-do they ever.

It's a well known statistic that it's the 18 to 70(!) year olds that spend all their wonga on games machines.

I don't think kids have ever been a factor.

er but most parents are OVER 18