IGNORED

At what point should I quit an unfinished game?

gospvg

The game in question is Persona 5, I've played around 65 hours but I have not touched it in weeks.

Any time I do get to game is taken up with Destiny 2 or Fortnite.

Persona 5 does a good job of giving you a story recap but the thought of needing to spend another 50+ hours to complete the game just puts me off.

Admittedly I am going through a period where I would rather spend my free time watching a film or tv show instead of gaming.

Never! Unless the game is rubbish. Instead, come back to it years later having totally forgot where you are and how to play it, necessitating an entire restart. 

On that note I'm currently trying to bludgeon my way through the last boss of Asura's Wrath without having much clue what I'm doing, which doesn't really work. Yet this time I refuse to go back and play the earlier chapters that instruct me how to fight for the fourth or fifth time, and I'm not bumping it down to easy either. It's so over the top I can't help but love it though.

I have a horrible habit of thinking “I’ll go back to it” with a game, but by which time I’m ready to play it again I’ve got 25 other games waiting to be played.

Zeldas a bit like that for me at the moment, I’m not enjoying it, think it’s too hard, so I’m putting it down for a bit. But then next week Skyrims out, a game I know I’ll sink 300+ hours into, after that there will be something else and the chances of me actually going back to Zelda are slim. Which is a shame.

I would never carry on playing a game I’m not enjoying just to complete it, I don’t get enough gaming time as it is without playing something I don’t like, last time I did that was Bioshock 3. Felt like I had to complete it when really I should have thrown it out the window after 15 minutes.

20 minutes ago, Rob Rule said:

Don't put good money after bad. Same with time.

... if you're not having fun, ditch it. 

7 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

If you're asking the question, it's time to rinse the main quest quickly and move on. And if that's not possible, just let it go.

Listen to these guys. You aren't required to complete a game. I'm pretty sure you've stopped reading a book a couple of chapters in before now, and given up on a movie within the first hour, so why do you feel you need to work towards completing every game you play? I watched my then 6-year old son giggle and squeal with delight on the opening level of Trials Fusion just killing the biker. It made me realise that I was playing games wrong, and since then I stop playing as soon as I stop enjoying.

My problem isn't finishing games I'm not enjoying, it's enjoying a game, getting distracted by something new and shiny and then lacking the motivation three weeks later to get back into the groove. Both Prey and Evil Within 2 have fallen victim to this recently. 

52 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

If you're asking the question, it's time to rinse the main quest quickly and move on. And if that's not possible, just let it go.

I may look into that to see if it is possble. I'm not enjoying all the side distractions of the game.

I've said I will "go back to that game later" so many times....... Witcher 3, Dragon Age Inquisition, Metal Gear 5, Mass Effe........ you get the idea. It's a bad habit to get into and I know I will probably go back to them one day when the rest of my games stop working O.o

43 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

Listen to these guys. You aren't required to complete a game. I'm pretty sure you've stopped reading a book a couple of chapters in before now, and given up on a movie within the first hour, so why do you feel you need to work towards completing every game you play? I watched my then 6-year old son giggle and squeal with delight on the opening level of Trials Fusion just killing the biker. It made me realise that I was playing games wrong, and since then I stop playing as soon as I stop enjoying.

Yep great advice guys, thanks.

I have not quit a game for a long time in fact I can't remember the last game I quit playing. XCOM 2 crashed on me & my save file got corrupted after 20+ hours so I never went back to that even though I was enjoying it.

That film/book comparison is great & I need to apply that to gaming.

15 minutes ago, Jolly said:

I've just recently learned that you don't have to finish a game if you're not really enjoying. Admittedly it did take me years to get to this point, but now I'm here it's really quite liberating.

Not levelled at you in particular, but in general I don't get the thing where people get like a dozen or more hours into a game and then realise they don't enjoy it. It should already be fairly difficult to buy a game that you don't already know beforehand that you're going to like anyway (the exception for me being when I try out various Games with Gold, before realising why I neither own them already or have ever had them on a "to get" list), but beyond that it's usually pretty apparent within a really short time if a game really isn't going to be worth persevering with.

1 minute ago, gospvg said:

That film/book comparison is great & I need to apply that to gaming.

Perhaps it's just me, but I think that's an awful comparison. Bad films I'm happy to sit through because I'm likely halfway through as it is by then and so why not maybe it'll pick up or have some redeeming feature, or at the worst give you more of a quality yardstick to measure against. I've very, very rarely felt like I've lost the time I'd rather have spent doing something else, even with a shit film. Books, I tend to read pretty fast and, like with gaming, it's rare I'm going to pick something up I'm not likely to enjoy. Maybe the implication there is that I'm not varying my reading enough, but if I enjoy everything I read then why bother?

Just now, stefcha said:

Not levelled at you in particular, but in general I don't get the thing where people get like a dozen or more hours into a game and then realise they don't enjoy it. It should already be fairly difficult to buy a game that you don't already know beforehand that you're going to like anyway (the exception for me being when I try out various Games with Gold, before realising why I neither own them already or have them on a "to get" list), but beyond that it's usually pretty apparent within a really short time if a game really isn't going to be worth persevering with.

I wouldn't say so. I recently abandoned Yakuza 0 after not really clicking, and bought it due to the forum and critical opinion being so astronomically high.  The eight hours or so I spent with it were probably split into two hours getting into the thing, four hours quite enjoying it and then two hours gradually losing interest. My love or dislike of a game doesn't plateau within the first hour; it can wobble about all over the place. 

I play a game until I either finish it, or until I get bored/stop having fun. There’s no point carrying on if you’re not getting any enjoyment from it. I loved Persona 5, but managed about 30 hours before I started getting bored, so I stopped. No point ploughing on for the sake of it. I got my money’s worth, and I loved what I did play.

Hmm, I didn't enjoy P5 as much as 4... but still played through it two and a bit times this year, even with prior knowledge of the moments where the game's pace falls apart. :blush: If you're not enjoying a game any more, there's little point in ploughing on just in case there's another fun bit.

Speaking of Persona, I still have an unfinished save from the first game on my PSP because I was just tired of the random battle hell and dull exploration. Another one was FFIII on DS; I dropped that when I faced a massive boss sequence in the Crystal Tower. Like @Paulando says, play until you're not having fun. :) 

My view is that when I was younger I felt I had something to prove, to myself, although enjoyment was paramount. Now I'm older I just simply play for fun, and if that means packing a game in when I'm bored/frustrated/satisfied then so be it. I don't even play on medium/hard unless it's a second time through. It's more about experiencing games than completing them. if I find one that does grab me and keep me til the end, or I find one that I can really stick with, that's a bonus. It's that simple. Life is too short to slog through something just because.

Example, I started South Park: The Stick Of Truth the other week. After a few hours the novelty of playing an episode of South Park began to wear off and the game began to show through, so I declared that one "done" and moved on. Similarly I started Dead Rising on PS4 (didn't play the original), got to a point quite near the beginning which, no matter what I did, I couldn't get past, so I just put it down to experience and moved on, but not before a bit of soul-searching. Should I abandon this? After a couple more hours of frustration I walked away - and it felt good.

With both of these I'll maybe have another go in the future, but I'm content to have at least had a few hours on each.

As soon as it becomes annoying. 

Nier Automata was getting all-sorts of praise I suspect it probably is really good. But when I died after like a half an hour long intro section it wanted me to repeat the whole thing. Oh ok but I'm not happy about it. Then I died again and it wanted me to do it again. You know what they say fool me once shame on you. Fool me... Well, ah you can't get fooled the second time is the point. 

3 minutes ago, Raoull duke said:

As soon as it becomes annoying. 

Nier Automata was getting all-sorts of praise I suspect it probably is really good. But when I died after like a half an hour long intro section it wanted me to repeat the whole thing. Oh ok but I'm not happy about it. Then I died again and it wanted me to do it again. You know what they say fool me once shame on you. Fool me... Well, ah you can't get fooled the second time is the point. 

Was going to buy Bloodborne for the same reaons, highly-rated on here, a proper game etc, but I just know I'd have a similar experience to yours there. Saved myself there.

I nearly gave up on Bloodborne after a few hours of non-fun.  It was my first souls game and I struggled.  I persevered however and got past the tricky learning curve and it turned into one of the best games I've played in my lifetime. 

15 minutes ago, Onze said:

I nearly gave up on Bloodborne after a few hours of non-fun.  It was my first souls game and I struggled.  I persevered however and got past the tricky learning curve and it turned into one of the best games I've played in my lifetime. 

I was balls deep in souls when BB came out, and still found the first five hours or so to be brutally hard. 

I got 30-odd hours into PS2 Persona 4 when it came out then got bored and sold it. Now I've recently bought it again (you can still get it brand new from Amazon for fairly cheap) and I fully intend to continue from my 2008 save file.

Which I guess means you should just stop if you get bored, as you can always go back to it at some later date.

7 hours ago, Vimster said:

Was going to buy Bloodborne for the same reaons, highly-rated on here, a proper game etc, but I just know I'd have a similar experience to yours there. Saved myself there.

But Bloodborne isn’t like that, it’s a myth. Missing out on one of the games of the generation there ;)

I myself have a terrible habit of dropping games right near the end as I suddenly feel no urge to complete them or get stuck on the final boss. Recently I just suddenly dropped Horizon zero dawn right near the end and never went back. It’s weird one part of me thinks wow you lame arse just finish it but then it’s just like any joy I derived has suddenly disappeared and I’d rather not waste my time when I could spend that time dong something else. 

I get this. 

Most recently it was Mario + Rabbids. It's a great game but it got to a point where I just wasn't enjoying it as much as I was hoping to so I sold it on.

Before that it was Yakuza 0 and that's because I got sidetracked by the birth of my second child.

I haven't started Kiwami yet. 

As others have said if it’s not fun don’t play it, loads of other games out there.

It is hard for a number of reasons, loyalty etc - I put well over 100 hours into Destiny 2 before I admitted to myself it wasn’t any fun any more and worse still it just made me angry playing it :( I so desperately wanted it to be better esp MP as I’d spent so much time playing the original but it was just not the game for me and as soon as I stopped not only have I had zero desire to play it again I have played loads of other games I wouldn’t have done if I’d just carried on!