Jump to content

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power


JohnC
 Share

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Capwn said:

Gave up on this after 30mins or so but have a question, does this series have moments with just dialogue and no background music? 

Although this can annoy me in other shows, it really doesn't bother me for things like this (the films were the same if memory serves right). Plus they're doing a bang up job with the music on this. Works really well I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you've just watched ep 1 I can see how it would be off putting - as it's essentially scored exposition but as the show picks up in ep 2 it becomes less intrusive. Generally, I think the music is great in this some awesome themes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

I've just realised that the latest Photoshop loading screen features Morfydd Clark's Galadriel...

 

image.png.1f1365b84a03333ab6cb2e6dc7939ede.png

 

The entire Creative Cloud suite has a splash page based on this new series. I’m guessing Amazon threw them a bunch of cash to feed us adverts through our work software now. I can’t really be arsed complaining, but shouldn’t some of that money go towards making the subscription cheaper? I don’t really want to be force fed ads.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JPL said:

The entire Creative Cloud suite has a splash page based on this new series. I’m guessing Amazon threw them a bunch of cash to feed us adverts through our work software now. I can’t really be arsed complaining, but shouldn’t some of that money go towards making the subscription cheaper? I don’t really want to be force fed ads.

 

Weirdly looking more Captain Marvel than Galadriel there, colour-wise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

InDesign is using Eleanor Brandyfoot. Only twigged today and I've been using it all week. 

 

I'm really impressed so far. The visuals are utterly stunning in 4k. There hasn't been much action really but it'll build up to that I suspect. I've not read Tolkien since I was about 11 or 12 so I wouldn't even notice any discrepancies but it's building it's own identity away from Jackson's films and that's a good thing. It's dialogue heavy and the characters seem to have a lot more depth. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ep 4 picks up the pace nicely. Really enjoying Durin and Elronds bromance, and I can't help but notice we havent met Anarion yet. I believe he will enter like Rik Mayal's Captain Flashhart.

 

Also, really like thw detail of the orcs covering themselves in chalk to act as sunscreen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The show's effectively bullying me into appreciating it - I'm certainly invested enough in the sights on display that I'll see it to the end for sure. There are moments that are great, and plenty that feel too much like terrible fan fiction. 

 

I wish everyone would stop rolling their 'r's though - Say fucking 'Morgoth', not 'Morrrrrrrrrrrrrrgoth'. Say 'Galadriel', not 'Galaaaaaadrrrrrrrriellll'. It's desperately annoying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JoeK said:

The show's effectively bullying me into appreciating it - I'm certainly invested enough in the sights on display that I'll see it to the end for sure. There are moments that are great, and plenty that feel too much like terrible fan fiction. 

 

I wish everyone would stop rolling their 'r's though - Say fucking 'Morgoth', not 'Morrrrrrrrrrrrrrgoth'. Say 'Galadriel', not 'Galaaaaaadrrrrrrrriellll'. It's desperately annoying.


they do that in the films too though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JoeK said:

The show's effectively bullying me into appreciating it - I'm certainly invested enough in the sights on display that I'll see it to the end for sure. There are moments that are great, and plenty that feel too much like terrible fan fiction. 

 

I wish everyone would stop rolling their 'r's though - Say fucking 'Morgoth', not 'Morrrrrrrrrrrrrrgoth'. Say 'Galadriel', not 'Galaaaaaadrrrrrrrriellll'. It's desperately annoying.

 

There's a guide in The Silmarillion that tells you how to pronounce things. These are how Tolkien wanted it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, scottcr said:


they do that in the films too though

 

34 minutes ago, Festoon said:

 

There's a guide in The Silmarillion that tells you how to pronounce things. These are how Tolkien wanted it.

 

I know, I know. I find it awfully naff. 

 

Also, because I saw Bakshi's animation first, I still have trouble pronouncing anything other than the way that film does it I'm afraid.

 

Although, don't get me started on the Saruman/Aruman debacle...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JoeK said:

The show's effectively bullying me into appreciating it - I'm certainly invested enough in the sights on display that I'll see it to the end for sure. There are moments that are great, and plenty that feel too much like terrible fan fiction. 

 

I wish everyone would stop rolling their 'r's though - Say fucking 'Morgoth', not 'Morrrrrrrrrrrrrrgoth'. Say 'Galadriel', not 'Galaaaaaadrrrrrrrriellll'. It's desperately annoying.

Don't ever come to Wales if over*-pronunciation fucks you off. 

 

*Some would say proper. Even when speaking English we speak it better than 90% of the English population. :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/09/2022 at 15:20, FishyFish said:

I've just realised that the latest Photoshop loading screen features Morfydd Clark's Galadriel...

 

image.png.1f1365b84a03333ab6cb2e6dc7939ede.png

 

 

On 15/09/2022 at 16:04, JPL said:

The entire Creative Cloud suite has a splash page based on this new series. I’m guessing Amazon threw them a bunch of cash to feed us adverts through our work software now. I can’t really be arsed complaining, but shouldn’t some of that money go towards making the subscription cheaper? I don’t really want to be force fed ads.

 

I expect they've got a partnership where the show is using Creative Suite for everything (where feasible) post-production wise and it'll get used in Adobe's advertising. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, redbloodcell said:

 

 

I expect they've got a partnership where the show is using Creative Suite for everything (where feasible) post-production wise and it'll get used in Adobe's advertising. 

 

I saw an 'edited in Premiere Pro' tag on the credits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just watched the 4th episode. 

 

This ain't good. But it's not bad. 

 

It's basically "oh they are building towards something big, need to keep watching" the show. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this is getting better every episode, or perhaps I’m just getting more in tune with the way it’s telling the story. It’s a slow burn but it’s all leading somewhere.

 

Plus we now know who The Man Who Fell To Middle Earth is, or at least who some of the locals think he is…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This video is a nice break of the elements in the episode as they relate the lore as a whole ,including lots of stuff in the background I missed.

 

The host seems nice, but us woefully ignorant of world history and events and how they would inform actions with characters in the show.

 

Lore spoiler warning.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really liked ep.4, yep this show has its hooks in me now.

A couple of green screen moments, eg the Numenorian fellas on the boat, looked really quite low budget and TV show, which jarred with some of the other material.  Am not always feeling that mega budget.

And on the r-rolling - I find it pretty blissful when it’s delivered through Morfydd Clark’s lovely face and voice, no issues at all, she could read me the phone book.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Darren said:

I think this is getting better every episode, or perhaps I’m just getting more in tune with the way it’s telling the story. It’s a slow burn but it’s all leading somewhere.

 

Plus we now know who The Man Who Fell To Middle Earth is, or at least who some of the locals think he is…

 

Do we? I must have misses this in the show?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Delargey said:

 

Do we? I must have misses this in the show?


Yep - when the human lad with the magic sword was talking to the old fella, they were talking about

 

Spoiler

Sauron


and the conversation went something like

 

”and now he’s back.”

”The fireball?”

”You saw it too.”

 

So that’s who they (possibly wrongly) think it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.