The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

JohnC

4 minutes ago, Delargey said:

It's so rare that a man and a woman pairing are just mates - or at least it feels that way to me.

Elf dude and medicine woman's earnest well chats are dull. 

I find medicine woman's attire slightly off-putting too. There's a definite attempt to give her a little more cleavage, to the extent where her clothes look a bit out of place. 

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

I find medicine woman's attire slightly off-putting too. There's a definite attempt to give her a little more cleavage, to the extent where her clothes look a bit out of place. 

That's why I called her 'tits' earlier. It's so out of place it's comical.

6 hours ago, DualSense said:

I really hope not. We’ve already got one miserable elf lusting after a human. I’m finding it a bit dull myself tbh. There’s far too much going on and not much that is really that interesting it’s like butter spread thin over too much bread said someone somewhere.

My money is on: RIngs of Power.

"Nine for mortal men doomed to die"

The show has to be setting up some candidates to get one of the Nine, because their subjugation by the ring is too good a plotline to pass up, and Tolkien is explicit that some people took the ring with good intentions and that's what determines how long it took them to corrupt.

10 hours ago, Captain Kelsten said:

307426825_158182696825349_66041674705427

Saw this on Facebook on one of those sites it recommends because you once looked at something to do with something else. 

They've completely screwed the timeline, so my assumption is that Galadriel isn't married yet despite it really not fitting. Celebrian marries Elrond (and they are parents to Arwen). But Elrond only refers to Galadriel as "my friend" and if he was into her hot daughter, you'd think he'd give a hint.

Avoiding Tolkien related rants, this has a common problem of people doing stupid things to advance plot

Spoiler

Galadriel is the zenith of this. Getting on the boat was stupid. Getting off the boat at the edge of ocean was stupider. The whole spat with in Numenor was braindead. She's meant to be something like 15,000-20,000 years old. She's literally stood in the presence of the gods. She knows how to behave and play the game. There's no amount of arrogance that justifies the way she behaves in a situation she's clearly at a disadvantage. It's just stupidity to advance plot

In general, the Elves are too human

Spoiler

In addition to being immortal and able to reincarnate after death, they are supposed to be temperamentally different from Men.  

It just feels like you could replace any elf character with a human and they'd be the same. This is probably as a result of them taking lead roles rather than supporting characters, so it's harder to achieve. But there's definitely something missing as a result.

25 minutes ago, kensei said:

In general, the Elves are too human

This is my biggest issue, although this is mostly through Celebrimbor. His chararcter is not being given the attention it deserves. The rest are just elfy enough.

Anyhoo, interview with Wayne Yip, one of the series' directors.

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

Elves being 'too human' - well the sons of Feanor are absolute melts that constantly behave in an arrogant, destructive and human manner.

Feanor himself is fairly unique among the elves for a variety of reasons, and the driving force of both him and his sons is the oath. Even then at the end they have a kind of repentance though.

But ignore Tolkien, because this largely does. You have a bunch of characters that are immortal and have already lived a huge amount of time. It just seems like a huge waste that they don't really seem any different to the mortal characters.

There's a wee hint in

Spoiler

You missed my wedding and the birth of my child because you are immortal and didn't notice. But again, I felt this was acting stupid to create drama. Elrond is in a senior position in an elf kingdom, meaning understanding succession and politics in other kingdoms is important him.

Needed just a touch more Thrones-like politicking in this. It's worth remembering that GRRM was directly inspired by Tolkien. He just decided than getting the divine right of kings, it was more realistic that the virtuous get absolutely shafted.

On 20/09/2022 at 23:07, Captain Kelsten said:

LotR works because it has those moments of character development, of levity. Aragorn is mostly a grump but then he has a bit where he sings about his lost love, or finds himself incredulous at the Hobbit's voracious appetite...that kind of thing. So far Galadriel has had none of that. She needs something to even out all the doom and gloom. 

We got to see her enjoying a horse. And smirking a bit in a sword fight.

27 minutes ago, Festoon said:

The actor playing Elrond is really great.

Isn't he?! I wasn't convinced at first, mainly because he looks so different to Hugo Weaving, but he was terrific this week. 

46 minutes ago, Thor said:

Isn't he?! I wasn't convinced at first, mainly because he looks so different to Hugo Weaving, but he was terrific this week. 

And in all his interactions with the dwarves last week too. Can't believe he's the same guy that was in Behind Her Eyes.

I'm at the point of finding this a real struggle to get through and just very tedious.

Once the shiny appeal of the visuals wears off the extended runtimes with nothing much happening just makes it feel a slog to somebody like me not invested at all in LotR. The scripts are awful and that would be forgivable if the story was moving along, but everything feels like it's taking far too long to get anywhere.

I don't know if the LotR fanbase alone is enough to make this a worthwhile endeavour for Amazon, but if they need to pull in the wider audience this may be a struggle.

I'm glad it's not just me thinking this is pleasant enough, albeit quite ponderous. I never read the books, but loved the Peter Jackson films dearly, and never watched the Hobbit ones.

As others have said, there are so many stories going on, and right now not much to tie them together. Game of Thrones had similar back in the beginning, but because it rocketed along at such a pace, you got to understand things more quickly, I think.

Watching the fourth episode reminded me of that Redlettermedia Phantom Menace review, that said that when your story is full of strange places, people and events, you need a regular shlub to ground it all, and allow the viewer to learn through their experiences. Previously that was Frodo, but we don't have a Frodo here.

I was wondering if the young girl from Lenny Henry's village would be that, but their story seems so far removed from everyone else so far, that it can't be that.

And it does all look lavish, but in a flashy kind of way, instead of the sense of human detail every square inch of the Jackson trilogy had (anyone who's watched the WETA workshop making-ofs will know what I mean).

Happy to keep watching, but would quite like something to actually happen soon.

About mithril…

Spoiler

Does mithril containing the light of a Silmaril have any basis in Tolkien lore?  I noted that they mention a Silmaril but not what that actually is assume because they don’t have the rights.

5 hours ago, DualSense said:

About mithril…

Reveal hidden contents

Does mithril containing the light of a Silmaril have any basis in Tolkien lore?  I noted that they mention a Silmaril but not what that actually is assume because they don’t have the rights.

You know when people accused the show of being fan fiction, this is fan fiction and it's not even particularly good fan fiction. It's so bad it almost violates the "can't contradict established lore" rule it apparently has

Spoiler

The positions of the Silmarils are known at all times. Which is Morogoroth's crown until Beren gets one, then that one eventually becomes the evening star ie Venus. The others the remaining son's of Feanor get after Morogoroth's defeat but because of the evil they did due to their oath, they burn them. In despair one throws his to the bottom of the ocean, and the other throws it into a volcano. It's meant to have that mythic resolution - one to air, one to the sea, one to the sky.

Tolkien toyed with making the Arkenstone from the Hobbit a Simaril originally I believe but ultimately rejected it because it caused too many problems. It still causes too many problems here.

That elves fade is just the way of the world. The Dominion of Men is ultimately the will of Eru. There's a bit of it in that the eleven rings were created to delay the onset, but not mithril.

Mithril itself must have been known in Numenor and Aman too, since there are references to things made with it.

An elf did fight and defeat a Balrog. Glorfindel defeated one at the fall of Gondolin in the First Age.

Lore rating: Sexy Shelob/10

As a TV show as opposed to a Tolkien thing, it needs to pull some of these threads together and pick the pace somewhat if it's going to get away from 6/10. Also it needs to stop annoying tropes

Spoiler

I hate training fights where if a single thing goes wrong then lots of people are dead. Plus show off aren't I great I can handle literally everyone main characters doing a training fight.

GoT basically subverted this when Jon Snow did it at the wall and everyone thought he was a dick.

9 minutes ago, DualSense said:

I thought the mithril stuff must all be new as it was complete nonsense.  I’m going to give it one more episode and if that’s just as dull I’ll call it a day. 

Alas, this was the moment I switched off. That, and the whole dinner party conversation felt like an episode of Star Trek. All the elves are Mr Spocks.

I would kill for this to be as good as a Star Trek The Next Generation conference meeting. 

I don't know why they are making Gil Galad a dick, he's meant to be a heroic character and has a song and everything.