The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

JohnC

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

If it's fitting in with the traditionalist view of the lore, Sauron will be all 'wannabe baddies' and the entire career who isn't pasty white will get their evil on.

I can imagine YouTube will be massively onboard when Lenny Henry and Arondyr switch allegiances to Mordor.

At this point I kind of want Sauron to be a black woman. So, the regent of Numenor would work nicely ;)

I suspect the programme is going to go much more into the motivations of the Orcs and that's why they've introduced the character of Adar - a bit of connection with the elves. Orcs were enslaved elves - they didn't want to become Orcs - they were driven underground and forced to work for Morgoth.  Adar seems to be that connection to when they were still elves, and his bit where he held the orcs arm out in the sunlight suggested that.  He wants the Orcs to be free to walk in the sun again... he was also not happy about being confused with Sauron.  There's also got to be reason for so many 'humans' joining the fight against the elves too.  

Spoiler

Shit - what an awesome way to end an episode!!

Loved how it all built up - some really cool battle sequences.  LOTR really does nail the 'horses running over a hill' thing, doesn't it?

I really think this improves every episode - that was great stuff.

I'm very confused about the geography of Middle Earth in the second age.

Spoiler

Is the volcano that pops up supposed to be Mount Doom? 

And if that is the case, how in god's name do the Numenorians ride so fast to aid the villagers?

I hope I'm wrong, because this disconnect over what I would have thought was a considerably vast distance concerns me :P

27 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I'm very confused about the geography of Middle Earth in the second age.

Reveal hidden contents

Is the volcano that pops up supposed to be Mount Doom? 

And if that is the case, how in god's name do the Numenorians ride so fast to aid the villagers?

I hope I'm wrong, because this disconnect over what I would have thought was a considerably vast distance concerns me :P

Yes, and where they are becomes you-know-where in the future.

Just now, Festoon said:

Yes, and where they are becomes you-know-where in the future.

Well, it all seems a bit silly and it's another black mark in my 'Big Boys Book of Moaning'. 

Although, I did notice the horses looked they'd all been set on fast-forward in their charging, so there we go.

Wasn’t there previously some indication that different plot lines were occurring at different points in time? I can’t remember what it was, but I definitely had an a-ha moment along those lines in the last episode or two.

Would explain the travel time.

Geography wise 

Spoiler

They sailed up the river so weren’t that far away from the village when they disembarked but still fast forward was firmly held down.  It like they’ve read Lord of Rings and thought..ohh people like a last minute rescue but those were all expected where as this is totally luck with no reason for it. The Nums were just charging around the countryside.

13 hours ago, Gommy said:

Ep6 

Hide contents

The volcano has to mean the stranger is Sauron being reborn right?

Spoiler

Didn’t the village people see the meteor when it flew over, one of them called it an omen so unrelated to the volcano.  Still think it’s one of the wizards.

Well, as entertaining as the show may well be, it feels like it's been made by folks who absolutely loved the films, but kind of skimmed through a few pages of the books - especially the appendices.

I guess that's fine, but it feels desperately shallow. But, I guess that's where the Tolkien estate comes in and poo-poos everything even remotely cool to do with the thing.

I'm going to assume we'll never get to see armies of balrogs and dragons by the score :P

On 28/09/2022 at 09:00, scottcr said:

There's also got to be reason for so many 'humans' joining the fight against the elves too.  

that’s covered by the humans seeing the elves as basically persecuting them because their ancestors sided with Morgoth.

I really like…

Spoiler

The idea of one of the elves leading the orcs like a messiah or something.  Would be good to see a different side to the orcs rather than comedy steptoe and son accented cannon fodder.

14 minutes ago, DualSense said:

By this age aren’t they all pretty much dead in any sort of numbers.  

Yeah, that's why I'm upset. I was all hoping for a full on 1st age tale with Morgoth. I think that would have been absolutely fantastic...although I doubt there'd have been a budget big enough for it, despite Jeff's billions.

The second age is all well and good, but Sauron's a second-rate bad guy compared to old Morgs. 

Spoiler

So that was Mount Doom, and the beginnings of Mordor. I wondered if that was the case, but I'm still struggling a little with geography and timescales (I thought they were pulling a fast one with the Numenor army charging along, and we'd find out that was a time skip as they arrived at the village to find everyone dead). I got a little tingly watching Isildur charge into battle, it was as if there was finally a connecting thread to something I knew for sure and the show suddenly felt... real?

So

Spoiler

Halbrand IS Sauron. It makes perfect sense that the king promised to the descendants of baddie humans who fought for Morgoth is also a baddie. Uruk Elfork betrayed and murdered him but doesn’t know it’s him and just wants a home for his children. The volcano is to blacken the sky so his orks can go out and play during the day.

did Morgoth twist the elves and then make them bang to breed orks?

47 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

So

Hide contents

did Morgoth twist the elves and then make them bang to breed orks?

Book spoilers

Spoiler

Iirc it's never expressly said, but it's implied to the extent its taken as true, that the orcs are corrupted elves taken by Morgoth and tortured to turn them into twisted forms 

The uruk-hai, which feature heavily in the Lord of the Rings, are 'perfected' orcs, crossbred with 'wild men' from hill tribes and the like, to be bigger, stronger and most importantly, not affected by sunlight.