The Wii Appreciation Thread

MW_Jimmy

On 17/04/2022 at 18:36, strider said:

Bumping this bugger again. Been playing Kororinpa and it’s lovely. Going to rinse a bunch of lightgun games tonight as well. Such a fun console.

Yeah the Wii has got some hidden gems like that. I recently got both Dewy's Adventure and The Munchables. It's amazing that there's hardly anything about them in all of rllmuk.

Especially weird since The Munchables was directed by Ogita Masatoshi who designed practically all of the Katamari games after Takahashi left.

9 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Yeah the Wii has got some hidden gems like that. I recently got both Dewy's Adventure and The Munchables. It's amazing that there's hardly anything about them in all of rllmuk.

Especially weird since The Munchables was directed by Ogita Masatoshi who designed practically all of the Katamari games after Takahashi left.

Cheers. Just got Munchables for £15 👍

Played about an hour of The Munchables with my kids and it's pretty fun. Really enjoyed the broccoli boss and they were laughing at the main character firing out a load of rainbow-coloured crap at the end of a level.

Some of my go-to recommendations beyond Nintendo's offerings. One note I make is that Trackmania allows you to build your own courses to the extent of building them like they're basically skateboard ramps. It's pretty wild driving around cars and doing tricks high in the air with them as if they're skateboards themselves.

nkBOsCN.jpg

• 4 months later...

Been playing a bit of Rodea: The Sky Soldier the last couple of days. Very much Yuji Naka does Mario Galaxy with a mish mash of Sonic and NiGHTS for good measure. Simple remote-only cursor control scheme (no waggle or nunchuk involved) plus it's bright, beautiful and above all, fun.

There are bugger all reviews online and the ones that exist are crap due to a ludicrous development hell story and some terrible ports (Naka only developed the Wii version):

The Wii version of the game was finished in 2011, but Kadokawa [the publisher] wanted to hold off publishing it until the 3DS version was ready as well. Kadokawa took so long to finish their port, that by the time it was ready in around 2012, the Wii U had already been released, and it no longer made sense to publish the game only on a last gen console and an inferior handheld, so Kadokawa took even longer, porting their version from the 3DS to Wii U. By the time they were finished with that [in 2015!], the Wii was already obsolete, so not wanting to waste Mr. Naka and Prope's hard work, they bundled the Wii version of the game with the Wii U version's first print (but not with the 3DS version).

Po' Naka. Definitely recommended though, a nice slice of old school blue skies fun.

I absolutely love the Nintendo Wii, still play it regularly and there are some great hidden gems, some which look like shovelware.

A few I really like are..

Endless Ocean 1 and 2

Disaster day of crisis

Mushroom Men

Deadly Creatures

Boy and his blob

On 20/11/2022 at 09:28, Yobo Ahoy said:

Been playing a bit of Rodea: The Sky Soldier the last couple of days. Very much Yuji Naka does Mario Galaxy with a mish mash of Sonic and NiGHTS for good measure. Simple remote-only cursor control scheme (no waggle or nunchuk involved) plus it's bright, beautiful and above all, fun.

There are bugger all reviews online and the ones that exist are crap due to a ludicrous development hell story and some terrible ports (Naka only developed the Wii version).

It's going to be a bit of a unique one in the future I'm sure.  You can still grab a first print physical copy which includes the Wii disc from the Nisa store: https://store.nisaeurope.com/products/rodea-the-sky-soldier-standard-edition-wii-u