rllmuk

Probably deserves its own thread.

I've finally played Gloomhaven! My copy arrived last Friday, so I spent the evening reading the rule book and trying to find a suitable hiding space. Saturday was spent purchasing storage boxes with dividers and punching everything out. Solo'd it with the Scoundrel and Spellweaver on Sunday, just the first room of the first scenario anyhow, then Scoundrel and Cragheart on Wednesday, then Brute, Tinkerer and Mindthief on Thursday. Just to get a feel to how they all play. Still don't really have them perfectly to grips yet. Then on Saturday I finally delved in proper with a friend. Starting with a self designed 'tutorial' videogame style, followed by a  pub brawl and wolf attack. I'm the Spellweaver, mage extraordinaire. In the first proper scenario we got through quite well, but that was partly because I forgot to tell my mate the rule about not using elements in the same turn you create them (he's the Cragheart), as a result there were leaves all over the place. We decided to plump straight on with the second scenario- no more wolf attacks for us! Both had the same idea- heavy hitting exhaustion. As the spellweaver I did some beautiful 'riding the wind' into 'crackling air' with an invisibility cloak and 'orbs of fire'. Which may look like just a bunch of cards being played to the cynical observer, but to me was flying into the room screaming and setting fire to everyone whilst invisible. The Cragheart ran out of cards after I accidentally located myself in an almost untouchable position and he got hit by everything. Then I completed the mission on my last card. Still no battle goals completed (2nd was was genuinely impossible), but an excellent time had by all. And now we've numerous mission we can do, as well as more money to spend on stuff.

I've got two more friends who want to play and make it up to 4. Given the nature of the game I'm thinking that'll be pretty easy to do whilst maintaining the RPG aspect of it all.

• Upvote 3

What's your win/lose ratio like on the scenarios? We were incredibly lucky on that second one, and I think I haven't stressed the need to preserve cards enough yet (the second scenario my mate had the objective 'never go below half health' and so was burning cards like confetti). My only issue is, I can see myself running out of steam if I have to replay something numerous times to advance.

My copy arrived on Monday. :wub:

I spent Monday night punching out and reading the rules and ordered some plano boxes.  On Tuesday I organised everything.  Wednesday I set up for the first scenario, Lily the Scoundrel and Gigi the Mindthief did fairly well.  I say fairly well, Lily beat the dungeon on her last card. :lol: Wouldn't have had enough for more rests, I got super lucky and got a x2 with Gigi and then Lily finished them off, positioning herself to use her Loot 2 card before finishing the last enemy off.

I'm a bit worried about Lily retiring too soon as her personal quest seems very, very easy.  I'm a quarter of the way through it and only completed the first scenario.  Battle goals so far have been easy enough as well.

My party went back to town after the first scenario, Gigi used the time to make a donation whilst Lily purchased herself some new boots. 

The one thing I am forgetting repeatedly is to put a coin down after an enemy dies!

It's a wonderful game, but only getting to play it solo for now.  I just don't have any friends nearby that are interested in board games. 

7 minutes ago, Rikku said:

The one thing I am forgetting repeatedly is to put a coin down after an enemy dies!

Fuck.

We've had 5 attempts at the first scenario so far, not won one yet. We are enjoying the City and Road decks, though ;)

Played it with another group and we beat the first scenario on the first go, but also clearly got some rules wrong. 

22 minutes ago, therearerules said:

What's your win/lose ratio like on the scenarios? We were incredibly lucky on that second one, and I think I haven't stressed the need to preserve cards enough yet (the second scenario my mate had the objective 'never go below half health' and so was burning cards like confetti). My only issue is, I can see myself running out of steam if I have to replay something numerous times to advance.

What difficulty level have you been playing on? We played normal and that seemed very challenging at first but it's perfectly balanced. If you struggle with a mission you can always bump it down to easy. Losing missions a few times and really learning how to beat the puzzle is a big part of the enjoyment for me though. It's like the Dark Souls of board games.

I'd describe the difficulties thus:

Easy: if you want to make steady progress and not die too much if you mess up.

Normal: if you don't mind some quite exacting play, needing a bit more precision and with generally a fair few mission failures.

Hard: if you're insane.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Benny said:

What difficulty level have you been playing on? We played normal and that seemed very challenging at first but it's perfectly balanced. If you struggle with a mission you can always bump it down to easy. Losing missions a few times and really learning how to beat the puzzle is a big part of the enjoyment for me though. It's like the Dark Souls of board games.

Level 1, but like I said we got very lucky (and I allowed myself to pick up a card I forgot to pick up when playing reviving either on S2). @Rikku how are you finding soloing it? I'm refraining from giving myself exp and gold from soloing until I know what character people aren't playing as, so I don't take control of other players, but from soloing to get to grips with the rules I found controlling two characters hard. I'd spend so long on one, I'd forgot what I'd done with the first.

In our game the Scoundrel nicked all the loot. It's probably not as ridiculous now that one of their looting cards has been nerfed.

With regards to difficulty, make sure you use the correct algorithm to determine enemy level: it's the sum of all players levels, divided by the number of players, then divided by 2, then rounded up.

Yup, so it's scenario level 1. Which there is a chart for to determine enemy and trap level etc. If you want to play easy or hard simply add or subtract 1 from the scenario level. It will tend to get easier as you level up, but not by much.

4 hours ago, Benny said:

Gloomhaven meet?

That would be all kinds of awesome. 

3 hours ago, therearerules said:

Level 1, but like I said we got very lucky (and I allowed myself to pick up a card I forgot to pick up when playing reviving either on S2). @Rikku how are you finding soloing it? I'm refraining from giving myself exp and gold from soloing until I know what character people aren't playing as, so I don't take control of other players, but from soloing to get to grips with the rules I found controlling two characters hard. I'd spend so long on one, I'd forgot what I'd done with the first.

Am finding it okay. I haven’t played with the solo adjustment of making the scenario difficulty higher due to it being open handed, but I can see me doing that later on when I become more experienced. I spend a lot of time before picking my cards trying to work out how I want the round to play out and what positon I want them in before looking at the cards and making it happen. Have often found things not going like I imagined due to the enemies initiative and a couple of times found the cards wasted for my intended use and had to use them for the move 2, attack 2 defaults. I’ve mostly made stupid mistakes like wanting to save the disarm trap card for disarming a trap and accidentally using the other half of it without realising what I was doing. :blush: Then having to use my stamina potion to get it back. I’m going to play a couple more scenarios with two players then introduce a third. Maybe the brute or cragheart. 

My copy is currently stuck with DHL, who are being utterly useless. Apparently they tried to deliver it twice, but I didn't get a "missed delivery" card or anything. I suspect they didn't even attempt to gain access to my apartment block, there's a code to get in the exterior gate, but Amazon or any other courier has never had a problem with this.

4 hours ago, Tourist said:

Did everyone get the replaceable sticker set? Or are you playing with the sticky stickers?

Replaceables, just in case I don't like it and want to sell it. Otherwise I'm happy with permanency.

My copy arrived a couple of weeks back and I have been most remiss, mainly because I have been working away. I opened it, was amazed by how much stuff there was in it, and then just hid it under the spare bed.

I have limited space and feel I must free up some before it actually goes in the games cupboard. Massive Darkness and the collosal amount of stuff it came with is going to eBay I reckon.

Did you guys receive any forewarning that your products had shipped? I only locked my address a couple of weeks ago so I guess I have another few weeks to wait, right?

Sigh. I guess I can keep myself entertained reading about founders of gloomhaven...

Played Scenario 2 the other night. Another close victory where G.G had one card left and Lily seemed to manage her cards better and had 3! Which was fortunate. Both managed their battle goals for the scenario. Managed to do 14 damage with one hit with Lily, she got a fortunately timed x2. Had to leave behind a number of coins and I think there was a treasure chest that I didn’t discover so felt that I came away with my life but little riches. One to delve back in to!

Just have a question, I think I am reading the rule book wrong or something else wrong as I have read conflicting information. An enemy has poison. My card says attack 3, plus 2 if not adjacent to his allies and plus 2 if adjacent to one of mine so that is plus 7. Do I x2 that and then +1 giving 15 damage or do I 3+2+2+1 and times that by 2 for 16 damage? I didn’t actually apply it because the 14 was overkill anyway but just for future. Have read both ways. 

I have three options of where to head to next. Thinking that I might introduce a third character after the next scenario as well. 

@Rikku I think 16 is correct, as you add up how much total damage is being dealt before flipping the card modifier.

This only applies if an enemy is already poisoned. If your ability adds poison then extra damage does not apply until they are attacked again, as status effects are applied to the enemy from abilities at the end of the attack.

Right.

Apart from the first game where we got rules wrong, we're now 5 games lost to 1 won on Scenario 1. The only thing we missed on the last try was the ability to discard a card from your hand or two cards from your discard pile to negate damage. It may have helped us a little bit, I'm not sure it would have helped loads, though.

This is soooooo hard

5 hours ago, Benny said:

@Rikku I think 16 is correct, as you add up how much total damage is being dealt before flipping the card modifier.

This only applies if an enemy is already poisoned. If your ability adds poison then extra damage does not apply until they are attacked again, as status effects are applied to the enemy from abilities at the end of the attack.

Awesome, thank you, he was already poisoned so it would have been 16 rather than 14. It was all overkill anyway :lol:

@Pelekophoros What is your group make up?

You could always bump the level down to the easiest of levels just to try and see if you can beat it and then bump it up again. I’ve still got to bump mine up to make up for the solo play through but think I would struggle as I am only just managing on the easy mode. 

A complete mix to be honest.

Game 1 - tinkerer, spell weaver, brute. Won it by skin of our teeth but got rules wrong.

Game 2 - cragheart, tinkerer. Lost.

Game 3 - cragheart, brute. Lost. (First turn, actually)

Game 4 - cragheart, brute. Lost.

Game 5 - cragheart, brute, the one that's basically a rogue. Lost.

Game 6 - brute, tinkerer, spell weaver. Lost.

I think dropping the difficulty down may be a good shout actually. 

Played another game yesterday- 4 of us, Spellweaver, Cragheart, Tinkerer, Scoundrel. Because it was 2 players first game I reduced the difficulty to easy. And I was glad I did.

After carefully yet efficiently defeating the first room, the crag heart decided to open the door with his last move. Whilst we didn't end up attacked, a considerable number of monsters were summoned. Next turn, the scoundrel with their last 2 cards, so as not to waste them, jumped into the middle of the fray. That meant the rest of us burnt through loss cards to keep them alive whilst she burnt cards to avoid damage (apparently this would have worked in other dungeon crawlers).

When the room was finally cleared, it turned out she only had 3 moves left.

With 2 rooms left we split up, me and the Tinkerer took one room, Cragheart and Scoundrel the other. When we saw the monsters in those rooms I gave up, yet some bloody lucky x2s and the sheer card amount the Tinkerer has meant we actually did it!

I would definitely advise playing on easy until you start to win some. Levelled up now, but given the average level /2 is still 0.75 I might wait and see how the Scoundrel plays before going up to normal.

• Upvote 2

Another game yesterday- absolutely killed it on scenario 3. Still got a few rules wrong, and we're always forgetting which enemies spawned and which didn't, leading to us getting a couple of extra coins (no bad thing), and occasionally forgetting that an enemy is ranged. Next game pencilled in for Saturday, I did suggest going up a level seeing as how we caned it, but the scoundrel asked for at least one more session to get their bearings (they charged into a room and could have turned around to avoid any damage, but instead stood where they were to inflict 2 damage on an enemy. They got hit for 10 damage in return.). Really enjoying it, the only downside is I have to spend 30 minutes preparation time before people arrive to make the whole thing really smooth, but that just means we decide upon our next quest a week in advance.