Wot iz bestest game? Zelda or Mario?

Capwn

Wot iz bestest game? Zelda or Mario?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, scottcr said:

It's going to have to be Zelda...

Mario is an amazing game.  Like an injection of sugar into your eyeballs... but Zelda I think genuinely deserves 'revolutionary' because of how it just absolutely schooled everyone on open world gaming design.

Ding!

All personal opinion, of course...

NES - Super Mario 3

GB - Link’s Awakening

SNES - A Link to the Past

N64 - Super Mario 64

GBA - The Minish Cap

Gamecube - Wind Waker

DS - Phantom Hourglass

Wii - Super Mario Galaxy

3DS - A Link Between Worlds

Wii U - Breath of the Wild

Switch - Breath of the Wild

I still think of my gaming life as having a pre LTTP phase and a post phase. Even after all these years. The detail, the interactivity of the world, the contradictory sense of constrained freedom... I'd played your standard linear European 8 bit and 16 bit adventure games and I'd played open ended early CRPGs but nothing with the craft and over arching structure of LTTP.

It's taken until Breath Of The Wild to even feel close to that revelation again.

Definitely Mario for me.

I preferred Mario on every console except the N64, where Zelda was better, and SNES and Gameboy, which were draws.

Switch, NES, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, 3DS, DS, Mario wins.

I suppose Zelda wins GBA as there was no Mario platform besides NES and SNES ports, whereas Zelda had Minis Cap.  I haven't played that though.

7 minutes ago, NEG said:

Needs Other option.

Then that becomes a GOTY thread. I was curious what would be the more respected game of these particular two titles, I get the impression that Zelda is the more respected title. Like it pushed the industry or something where as Mario is just 'fun'. So for me, going by this thread Mario can't win any major main GOTY awards with the likes of TheGameAwards, GiantBombcast, EasyAllies etc because if it does come down to those two games it seems Zelda will always come out on top when it's a group decision. 

5 minutes ago, NEG said:

Needs Other option. But out of the two, Mario's tended to be revolutionary more times than Zelda, so far.

Which Zelda or Mario game would the 'Other' option apply to?

For me, it's Breath of the Wild, and quite easily so. That game is utterly ridiculous, and will be still be seen as Game Zero in 10 years time. 

7 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Oh wait, are we talking whole franchise? 

Whole franchise it’s Mario. Too late to change my vote.

But Botw>>>>Odyssey

We're not talking about series as a whole are we ? If so I also change my vote. BOTW I think is a much better overall experience than Oddysey but for me Mario is the better franchise.

Mario Odyssey is more consistent, BOTW has higher highs but I also think there's more scope for improvement to BOTW's formula than there was to Odyssey's.

Zelda will take more GOTY awards because games that are mainly about pure fun, like Mario, never take them. Critics always give the award to games they deem more important/worthy/adult whatever, so Zelda is going to sweep them, it won't even be close.

It has to be Zelda for me. After moving to 3D the scale of the games always felt like they were getting smaller, when I wanted the exact opposite. Whether this was down to technical limitation or by design I always felt they were heading in the wrong direction, because a true open world structure is what I’ve wanted since playing Link to the Past all those years ago. They absolutely nailed it. Even though I was derided for it many years ago on this very forum*, I’m glad that’s the direction they took and it was everything I hoped. There are still plenty of ways they can improve it, proper full length dungeons for one, so I think it’s a formula they can continue with and expand upon with future iterations.

Mario has been absolutely amazing as well though and easily my favourite since the Galaxies.

It’s been a brilliant year for Nintendo and it feels like they’re back in the game after catering for the grannies with bullshit waggle and the disaster that was the WiiU. Good for them.

*does anyone else remember this? There were a few of us wanting Zelda to go open world, but the majority were dead against it, for some reason. Maybe I’m remembering it wrong, but it’d be interesting to read back over it again.

Zelda BoTW is revolutionary. Nintendo have reinvented their franchise without losing any of its old appeal. That is a spectacular achievement.

But Mario Odyssey does all of this whilst also making me grin like a loon constantly. So IMO it is the better game. But my goodness, this question is the Sophie's Choice of videogames.

16 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Then that becomes a GOTY thread. I was curious what would be the more respected game of these particular two titles, I get the impression that Zelda is the more respected title. Like it pushed the industry or something where as Mario is just 'fun'. So for me, going by this thread Mario can't win any major main GOTY awards with the likes of TheGameAwards, GiantBombcast, EasyAllies etc because if it does come down to those two games it seems Zelda will always come out on top when it's a group decision. 

Both series have pushed the industry multiple times, but Mario is the game everyone else built the video game industry on (after 86), essentially. Super Mario Bros, and then the same again with Super Mario 64.

Mario games tending to come first (even including BotW, which is a Wii U game, thus coming after Mario 3D World) is a part of that, though.

15 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

Which Zelda or Mario game would the 'Other' option apply to?

For me, it's Breath of the Wild, and quite easily so. That game is utterly ridiculous, and will be still be seen as Game Zero in 10 years time. 

Other as in Tetris, Pac-Man, and Sonic. BotW has many, many flaws. Even things you wouldn't normally consider, such as time required to have fun from pressing the start button. Tetris doesn't have that problem.

In that sense, fun is generally accessed quicker in Mario games.