rllmuk
Vimster

Pandora Box

Is there any way I can get this working on a monitor? Just to test it. It’s got a vga and hdmi socket but nothing outside of a Jamma to power it.

So a month and a half later. The CRT in the arcade was fried when I accidentally tried to throw it into a resolution it should not have even looked at. Despite some wiring and testing, it wouldn't display an image correctly. I bought a new Jamma harness and set about removing everything. When I did finally get into the CRT to get it out, I found out it was made in 1987 and some of the cabling to make it work with the Jamma was dodgy to say the least. So I stripped all that out, but rather than re-wire the entire control panel, I snipped all the cables and wired them to terminals. I then sorted out the new Jamma harness, labelled everything up and wired that to the other side of the terminals. Bit annoyed to find the harness wasn't wired ready for six buttons, so I soldered four new cables on and ran them up with the loom. I had an old monitor and connected that up to ensure it all worked before going further (I had tested it prior to doing anything as you can see in the first picture). Pleased that it powered up first time and that the speaker worked nicely. 

I looked around for a CRT but no real joy. Then I remembered I had a 24' monitor I'd gotten from work and was using with my daughter's laptop. I gave her a smaller but better monitor and set about mounting the 24' (it was only very slightly smaller than the CRT that had come out). I bought some wood and set about using the Vesa mounting holes to fix it to the first board, as well as cutting holes in the back for the power and video cable. I then bought some sort of card/plastic sheet that's used for making signs. After some careful marking and cutting, I managed to get an hole cut in that covered up the monitor controls and frame, but not the screen. However, the white plastic didn't look great so my wife suggested spraying it matt black, which she did for me this morning. After some swapping of cables, I managed to get the joystick directions working correctly (no idea what happened there). The only thing I didn't bother wiring back in was the coin slot, as there really didn't seem much point. 

The wiring isn't pretty and I really wished I'd got some proper cable markers, but none of this is on show so it's ok. Overall costs - the Pandora Box was about £45 from Ali Express, the new Jamma harness was about £6. I needed to buy a couple of tools, as well as the wood and plastic. All up, I reckon it cost £65.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

• Upvote 9

This works fine, and I've been able to hide some of the games I likely won't play (or the multiple versions of some games). 

I noticed one great game missing - Splatterhouse. And there doesn't seem any way to get it working. I've got the rom and it appears on the menu when I add it. But unlike Rampage (which I added as a test), it simply gives me a black screen when I try and load it, then goes back to the main menu.

Oddly, looking around the web, the few places that reference it also mention it won't work, no matter what rom version is used, on the P6. Someone mentioned that it's do to with the game attempting to boot into a vertical mode instead of a horizontal. No idea how to fix it sadly. 

Bizarrely, these things are meant to play PS1 games, so if it was ever released on a PlayStation compilation, that might work.

Or you could maybe run a PS1 emulator via its PS1 emulator to emulate it. 

Emulate.

• Upvote 1

I've recently I bought a Pandora's Box, well as I've now read a knock-off Pandora's Key 7 (3D or summat) . I really like it. It's got loads of games I liked playing in the arcade but my one gripe is that the graphics look blurry, like they've been subjected to a some sort of smoothing out effect that's taken all the edges off. Is it possible to change the image setting? I'm sure someone somewhere mentioned image settings but I can't seem to find them in the Settings menu.

I have been looking at these following a trip to Arcade Club.  It seems there are a lot of clones about - is there anywhere that stocks legit ones?

Wow! that's a lot for shipping!

If you can afford an 8 button I would go foe it because they machines can be used as PC controllers so more buttons should equal better. I went for the 6 button because the 8 button one was out of stock.

I've also just got hold of the Capcom Home Arcade as well because..... reasons :blink2:

On 09/11/2019 at 19:04, AceGrace said:

Wow! that's a lot for shipping!

If you can afford an 8 button I would go foe it because they machines can be used as PC controllers so more buttons should equal better. I went for the 6 button because the 8 button one was out of stock.

I've also just got hold of the Capcom Home Arcade as well because..... reasons :blink2:

I am going to keep an eye on the Capcom Home Arcade and see if that gets hacked to be used on PC etc - and also reduces in price.  Either that or keep an eye out for a 2nd hand Pandora 6.