rllmuk
Sartre84

Dark (Netflix)

@Alan StockI love this comment of yours;

It's a pretty amazing feat of plot construction.

I totally agree. I can't think of a piece of entertainment media that's achieved the result DARK has in this area, so cohesively and well executed, and from such an ambitious starting point/concept. (my palate may be too limited though lol)

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Triple A said:

@Alan StockI love this comment of yours;

Hide contents

It's a pretty amazing feat of plot construction.

I totally agree. I can't think of a piece of entertainment media that's achieved the result DARK has in this area, so cohesively and well executed, and from such an ambitious starting point/concept. (my palate may be too limited though lol)

Primer is up there. Although less complicated it is almost bullet proof for a time travel movie.  Dark I think might suffer more under scrutiny but it is far more ambitious.

15 minutes ago, Triple A said:

@El GeetNever heard of Primer (IKR?!) - is it on Netflix or Amazon Prime? If so will get it on the watchlist.

There’s a thread somewhere on here about it but if you like your mind bending time travel stuff you’ll love Primer. Super low budget yet brilliant movie. 

Another +1 for Primer. One of the best films I've seen. It's so intricately plotted and the whole thing hangs together amazingly once you work out what's happening. Confusing on first watch, so it really needs to be seen multiple times. But it's totally brilliant.

Late to the party, but why the hell is this only 3 pages? It's one of the best shows on Netflix!

• Upvote 5

i know right!

if it were a usa production i suspect it would have more hype around it. but i’m not sure there is a usa based writing team that could pull it off

I also loved the first season. Realy looking forward to this, though I have a concern that it is going to get really complex and could all go off the rails.

33 minutes ago, Miner Willy said:

I also loved the first season. Realy looking forward to this, though I have a concern that it is going to get really complex and could all go off the rails.

I thought S1 was already one of the most challenging series to follow.  It's like Primer but with more subplots and a bigger cast. I hope they do a decent recap and they may need to work out a way for viewers to more readily recognise who is who in which era.

Still, loved it and hope they can continue to maintain the quality.  My concern is it goes a bit Lost. I hope the writers have a clear view of the plot and aren't making it up as they go along.  Can generally spot that a mile off.

Yeah, that's basically my concern. Dark reminded me of Les Revenants - which had a similar tone, and a first series which was amazing/bewildering in equal measure. In Les Revenants' case I felt the writers never really managed to maintain control once the curtain was pulled back in series 2 - hoping that won't happen here.

• Upvote 1

I'm just praying that it doesn't get cancelled before reaching a conclusion. I still haven't come to terms with Counterpart.

• Empathy 1

On 29/04/2019 at 10:11, Professor Rob said:

Sod that – I'm going to watch the whole thing again.

That's like 10 hours though. Tried looking on youtube but there are not any good recaps, just people talking over photos. Hopefully something is made because yeah as much as I enjoyed it I can hardly remember anything.

4 hours ago, Capwn said:

That's like 10 hours though. Tried looking on youtube but there are not any good recaps, just people talking over photos. Hopefully something is made because yeah as much as I enjoyed it I can hardly remember anything.

Second series doesn’t start until 21 June - you’d only need to watch one or two a week.

Season 2 of this is out now. 1 episode in and I'd forgotten just how good it is. 

Why is nobody talking about this? Is it because it's a bit daunting to jump back in? I was such a hard fan of this, I still call it the best netflix original show yet. However;

Over time it's dawned on me just how much has left my memory. I found this recap and it's absolutely bonkers, it's truly all over the place and I was constantly like 'Oh yeah...falling birds!...Oh...this! oh THAT!!!' and yet by the end of this 10min recap I'm still very confused by it all. So it's a bit daunting but I'm going to try and jump back in.

I think I'm going to just watch the whole thing from the beginning. I can barely remember anything.

17 hours ago, barkbat said:

I think I'm going to just watch the whole thing from the beginning. I can barely remember anything.

I'd do this if I had the time. I've started watching season 2 and it's confusing as I can't remember who anyone is and how they're connected to each other.

I figured I'd muddle through but I'm already baffled on the first episode.

It's gets easier. We're four episodes in and are pretty much back up to speed with who everyone is/was/will be. Although there was a fair few "Who's he, again?" moments in the first couple of episodes. 

It might help if there were any vaguely likeable or memorable characters in it. Don't get me wrong, I like the show, but the characters are awful. 

• Empathy 1

Just binging series one again, about to start the final episode. 

It's fucking good. Still parts of it i'm finding confusing on a second viewing.  One of the issues is that they often rely on visuals and speech at the same time to drive home points which is very hard with subtitles. Example will be shots showing peoples faces as they grow up, but with dialogue running. Occasional rewinds to focus on each component required.

My missus can hardly remember any of it which is hilarious. She really enjoyed it first time round and is basically watching it again fresh but with a guarantee she will like it. 

I feel like I'm enjoying it even more the second time through, it's superbly done and holds together remarkably well considering the complexity. 

Cannot wait to start series 2.

4 episodes in, love this show. No idea what's going on but I love it. Was talking to someone else about this yesterday but isn't it mad how there are no comic relief moments or characters? It's pretty rare, or perhaps it's just that it's German.

I love how complex it all is without feeling that's it's just for the sake of being complex.

Well, that was fucking great. Although I have no clue where it's going with S3.