rllmuk
Goose

Altered Carbon - Netflix Cyberpunk

@Garibaldi  It’s not a giant spoiler, and the justification is ok.

Spoiler

Kovacs is taking Poe around places with him to monitor wherever he’s staying. Poe’s ok with this because he’s hard coded to be needed.

@footle Thanks, but my issue was more of...

Poe being erased/destroyed at the end of the first series. I was wondering what kind of hand-waving they do to bring him back.

28 minutes ago, Thor said:

I don't recall that. 

It *is* addressed through the series though. Spoiler for first series that's probably just a misinterpretation on Garibaldi's part.

he wasn't actually killed, but injured badly

• Upvote 1

One thing I felt was contrived was END OF SERIES SPOILERS AHOY!!

Spoiler

Trepp's wife being an archaeological expert all of a sudden. That came out of nowhere*, and was clearly used as a convenient plot device. 

*Unless I, quite possibly, wasn't paying attention in earlier episodes.

19 hours ago, Thor said:

One thing I felt was contrived was END OF SERIES SPOILERS AHOY!!

Hide contents

Trepp's wife being an archaeological expert all of a sudden. That came out of nowhere*, and was clearly used as a convenient plot device. 

*Unless I, quite possibly, wasn't paying attention in earlier episodes.

Spoiler

Not out of nowhere, but in an earlier episode there was a little bit of exposition that sets it up. Trepp and her wife are talking about how they met and it's explained that Trepp was hunting down archaeologist bounties, and the wife was one, who she couldn't bring herself to kill or turn in.

• Upvote 1

Ah! That changes everything. Cheers for that. :hat:

Not as good as the first by a long chalk. Hints at deeper mystical things and just ends up guns blazing and running around shouting like a child hyped up on sherbet dip dabs.

Fun to begin with, then betrays its low rent roots. they spent all the money on the skyfire special effects   Poe was still the best thing in it. 

Netflix popped up a notification for Altered Carbon Resleeved coming on the 19th. 1h14m anime movie. 

• Upvote 2

Finished season 2 last night, not nearly as interesting as the 1st season and Mackie was only ok, the "original" was better in the latter 1/2 of the season.

Trepp and the AI were the best thing in it, if the spun off  a Poe & Co. Where he goes around with some friends helping people  like a futuristic A team, I'd watch that.

Poe is clearly the best thing about the show. His actor is great, and overshadows fucking everyone else.

I thought Mackie would bring some personality to the mix, but nah. Same boring as fuck Covacs.

Kind of a shame, and I doubt we'll get a third season - not that I care too much. Season 2 was quite clearly done as a "let's just get this out of the way on a much lower budget" kind of thing.

The best part of season 2 was discovering Jihae.

Spoiler

Other than that, kinda blah.

• Upvote 1

On 13/03/2020 at 00:47, lolly said:

Finished season 2 last night, not nearly as interesting as the 1st season and Mackie was only ok, the "original" was better in the latter 1/2 of the season.

Trepp and the AI were the best thing in it, if the spun off  a Poe & Co. Where he goes around with some friends helping people  like a futuristic A team, I'd watch that.

agree. The original had the advantage that the second half of the season basically followed the book, and the murder mystery aspect.

This was basically an entirely new story in the same altered universe, and ended up with a lot of characters you didn’t care about getting killed, while for the plot to land they probably needed to introduce the real threat / impact earlier.

Just finished this, my thoughts are:

Spoiler

Series 1 was definitely better and the (I assume) reduced budget on this showed. Any outside scenes seemed to always be filmed in the same alleyway in the dark there were very few wide open city shots.

Anthony Mackie didn't really shine in the role, he's OK but didn't seem to make it his own, Quell was a bit of a bland character too, which was odd after all the build up from the original series. They didn't have the chemistry that S1 had between Kovacs/Ortega.

Original Kovacs was more interesting (once he turned up), as was Carrera/Jaeger.

It took a while to get going, the first half of the series plodded on and I almost gave up as it didn't initially have much of a story. Towards the end it got a lot better and I defintely agree with other comments that Trepp, Poe and Dig were the best thing in it and need a detective agency spin-off.