rllmuk
Goose

Altered Carbon - Netflix Cyberpunk

I haven't been able to go back to this, I got through 2 episodes and didn't much like what was there. I instantly had a problem with part of the concept, which I'm sure I'm either being daft or missing something or the show explains, but

Spoiler

in a world where basically anyone can effectively live forever through different bodies, why would you give a bloke who has a criminal record as long as your arm, including terrorism IIRC, the chance at continuing life? The state would probably be quite happy he was dead and leave it at that.

I have to be missing something or straight up wrong about that, because it undermines the entire thing in my head.

I think I should hate this, it's pretty bad but there is a good mix of sci-fi backdrops and ideas plus nudity.  I am on episode 6 and hoping for a little more action.

Was that James Purefoy's actual dick or did they give him a Hodor CGI dong.

Anyway I'm quite enjoying this so far despite the fact I can't understand what anyone is saying half the time.

• Empathy 1

I tend to have issues with the centre channel being too quiet on Amazon Prime stuff but not normally Netflix. Doesn't help that yer guy off The Killing has this mumbling drawl to a lot of his lines.

4 hours ago, The Fox said:

Why would they use a CGI dick when there are so many real dicks looking for work?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

I haven't been able to go back to this, I got through 2 episodes and didn't much like what was there. I instantly had a problem with part of the concept, which I'm sure I'm either being daft or missing something or the show explains, but

Hide contents

in a world where basically anyone can effectively live forever through different bodies, why would you give a bloke who has a criminal record as long as your arm, including terrorism IIRC, the chance at continuing life? The state would probably be quite happy he was dead and leave it at that.

I have to be missing something or straight up wrong about that, because it undermines the entire thing in my head.

In the books the envoys are the elite government shock troops: terrifyingly effective post-human counter-insurgency agents that get the task done and will not care if they destroy everything in the process. Everyone, from planetary governors on down, is scared shitless of the envoys.

If you're a murdered rich man and the local police are not the slightest bit interested in solving the crime, it seems reasonable that you'd want an envoy to get things moving.

The problem is that in the *tv* series they changed the envoys into anti-protectorate terrorists, in order to merge a couple of characters and another couple of characters and introduce some additional conflict... thus making things a bit more odd.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, The Fox said:

James Purefoy loves getting his wang out in stuff. It probably wasn’t even in the script, he just insisted.

28 minutes ago, ryanm said:

In the books the envoys are the elite government shock troops: terrifyingly effective post-human counter-insurgency agents that get the task done and will not care if they destroy everything in the process. Everyone, from planetary governors on down, is scared shitless of the envoys.

If you're a murdered rich man and the local police are not the slightest bit interested in solving the crime, it seems reasonable that you'd want an envoy to get things moving.

17 minutes ago, footle said:

The problem is that in the *tv* series they changed the envoys into anti-protectorate terrorists, in order to merge a couple of characters and another couple of characters and introduce some additional conflict... thus making things a bit more odd.

Ah right. 

As @footle says, the first couple of episodes of this portray him solely as a capable dickhead with a huge criminal record who in the past fought state sponsored dickheads.

It would kinda seem like a mistake for the state to let him have another life.

59 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

The state didn't do it, Purefoy did. 

I mean why have the opportunity to bring him back? He's obviously trouble for the powers that be. Kill him and keep him dead.

Like I said I'm sure I'm being daft.

18 hours ago, Harsin said:

James Purefoy loves getting his wang out in stuff. It probably wasn’t even in the script, he just insisted.

If mine was that big I would get it out all the time!

4 episodes in and really liking this. I agree there seems to an issue with some of the dialogue being quite grumbled, especially Kinnaman, but its not detracting from my enjoyment or grasping what is going on with all the various plot threads.

The introduction of Takeshi's sleeve sub-plot and that sleeve being important to Ortega and the evil twins is quite clumsy as it never really sets itself apart from the main story. So far the only motivation we have seen for Takeshi doing anything or anything happening to him is related to solving the murder so I understand the whole torture scene and what follows feeling a bit confusing. Overall, I thought it was a great episode and Kinnaman's stone cold swagger through the clinic murdering everyone with his little pink unicorn bag was a nice pay-off for the flashbacks and further establishing just how much of a bad ass Takeshi is supposed to be.

I'm trying to do an episode a night so I don't burn through it too quick but I know as I approach the end I will want to just keep watching. Oh and another big fan of Poe here. His classical appearance and appreciation for humanity alongside the generally horrible state of society is brilliant. 

• Upvote 2

I'm up to episode 4 and enjoying it as well, in saying that I'm finding the new Star Trek series relatively inoffensive so maybe my standards are slipping.

Doesn't hold a candle to the Expanse though, that has characters you are actually invested in. 

I have a similar issue with Discovery and usually switch away from the 5.1 to the plain English audio, and then everyone's dialogue becomes crystal clear through my soundbar.

However, I tried the same with this and the dialogue was still a bit hard to understand at times.

It started well and looks incredible but I just find it a bit dull, as at ep 8.

As an aside I'm glad others have mentioned Amazon Prime being quiet. It's awful when people speak but goes mad when there is gunfire or LOUD NOISES.

• Upvote 1

I’ve noticed this problem a lot recently. I had to turn Demolition Man on Amazon right up or down depending on whether talking or fighting was happening. Just like real life.

On 12/02/2018 at 19:30, footle said:

Oh right. I’ve been pretty confused at how they trained to be super soldiers at a camp in some woods.

Coz they were super soldiers the whole time and so are you!!!! Now you get out there and find your inner super soldier damnit, and make me proud!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed it, even though the last couple of episodes feel like they dropped out of an entirely different show entirely sometimes. It’s not a masterpiece but I have plenty of room for an OTT sci-fi noir series. It’ll be fun seeing where they go, and who they introduce, next season.

Poe, obviously, is the best character.

Just watched it all over 2 days. Great ending - always love it when a season wraps things up with proper closure, rather than ending on a massive action piece with no consequences.

The series is a very slow starter - I almost gave up on it at the start, a cross between the unfamiliarity of the world (and the new concepts one has to grasp all at once to get a good understading), and just it being pretty bland. But the last few episodes really went into the social and psychological consequences of the seperation of mind and body, and it was awesome because of it.

It's a future version of what we have now i.e. how technology affects what we are as human, and the extremes they take us to. But rather than analysts talking about mobile phones and social media, its stacks and sleeves.

Hope Poe backed himself up (it would be stupid of him not to, he is an AI after al).

Up to episode 6 and really enjoying it - and I consider myself a bit of a sci-fi snob. Yes it's not 5 star excellence like Game of Thrones/Westword, but it's a damned good watch. The concept of stacks and sleeves is brilliant and explored in so many cool ways. The story - although not mind-blowing and pop-corny at times, is always intriguing and plays around with the stack/sleeve/VR themes in clever ways. Acting and casting is really good for the most part to compliment that, especially for a sci-fi show. The action scenes are stand-out, up to movie-level quality with very satisfying futuristic gun battles with a real punch, and martial arts straight out of the Matrix. 

It looks great too, though it's a real disappointment they copied Bladerunner so much in the lower streets. But other parts of the world are well realised, especially the futuristic buildings and VR. You can see how much effort and money went into those visuals.

It might not be the very highest tier of sci-fi TV - but in many places it does hit that bar and the brilliant concept and unpredictable story means I always look forward to each episode. You never know what you're going to get, story twists, action scenes, visual wonder, I tune in each time just wondering what they're going to do next with it.

I really like Poe (and the concept of a sentient AI hotel), the rich guy boss and his wife are fantastic too. Also, the gang sleeve - praise be to that actor (and can you imagine the audition for that part)!

You can kind of tell the plot is adapted from a sci-fi novel, as it has lots of brilliant imagination and clever plot twists but interposed with crappy flashbacks, stupid romances/lots of sex and corny bad guys/character cliches. It's a strange combo of brilliance and generic sci-fi pulp smashed together.

Hopefully this does well so more big budget sci-fi shows get made. Although good novels make for great plotlines, I'd like to see top writers incorporate the ideas from them and write new stories for TV so we get better characters and less generic stuff. To be fair, the writers on this have done well with the material - the dialogue is generally very good, it's just some of the characters and plot beats are a bit generic.

Overall I am impressed - and went into it not expecting too much due to the fairly lukewarm response on here. Glad I gave it a chance.

• Upvote 5

On 14-2-2018 at 19:50, Chadruharazzeb said:

I did too! We seem to be a minority. 

I enjoyed it a lot as well. Yes, it has some clunky dialogue, the flashback episode was too long and I'm really not a fan of that trope where the lead talks with an imaginary character from his past, but it's a lavish production with some really cool ideas and tech and excellent action. Also, Martha Higareda is a total babe.

Totally agree with the excellent write-up from  @Alan Stock