rllmuk
Goose

Altered Carbon - Netflix Cyberpunk

1 minute ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

It's certainly a bit of a Marmite show, for some reason, but I really enjoyed it. 

Im just jumping through this thread and that seems to be the gist - I’m wondering if I’m better going for the book rather than the show. I’m a fan of the Expanse (both the show and the books). 

Was this a stand alone series? It’s not leaving you hanging for a season two that never gets the green light. 

I've tried before but could not get past 10 minutes, my son has been asking me to watch it for a while now so I agreed on a deal that if I watch it he has to play God of War. That first episode starts slow but gets good by the end.

1 minute ago, idiwa said:

Was this a stand alone series? It’s not leaving you hanging for a season two that never gets the green light. 

It has been renewed for Season 2

11 minutes ago, idiwa said:

Im just jumping through this thread and that seems to be the gist - I’m wondering if I’m better going for the book rather than the show. I’m a fan of the Expanse (both the show and the books). 

There will be a second series, with a different lead actor as Kovacs but this is a largely self contained story just as the books are. 

I don’t know if it will adapt one of the other two or be an entirely new thing, but there’s plenty of scope to branch out and give us something new. 

7 hours ago, idiwa said:

I read the book this month and it was great, 1 episode into the show and I can't really bear it, it's pretty poor in comparison and Ortega is hard to follow.

The TV show is brilliant, easily one of the best things on Netflix. Haven’t read the book fully, as about half way through it just seemed too familiar so I gave up. 

Really excited for season 2. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, idiwa said:

Read the book, then watch the show. Much more than the expanse there are some (large) changes that were made when adapting to TV that are for the better in that medium, but there are also quite large themes that I don’t think I’d have got from the tv series alone (certainly towards the climax).

The Kovacs novels are only really tied together by the character, rather than as a trilogy (or even style - books two and three were less “detective noir” than Morgan’s recent Thin Air, for example) so season two could really be anything.

• Upvote 1

season 2 dated for end of Feb

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/21/altered-carbon-season-2-will-finally-drop-on-netflix-next-month-as-marvel-star-replaces-dc-actor-in-main-role-12098999/

Like many of these streaming shows I'll need a good recap to watch as tend to zoom thru them in a few days then forget them in the wait - but I recall sort of enjoying this I think (goes back to look for posts slagging it off)

• Upvote 3

I watched it a few months and quite enjoyed it, it's super trashy and schlocky, but certainly never boring. And the flashback scenes were on the Banff Skybridge I visited on holiday.

The body on the main guy is super distracting though, he's shaped like a Dorito with his shirt off.

• Upvote 1

Confusing trailer. I thought...

The Poe A.I was destroyed in the first season. I suspect we’ll get some technobabble bollocks as to how he’s still alive.

Same. Still, despite finding S1 a mixed bag overall I had fun enough for a second. I'm sure Mackie can fill the role well.

Any idea if theyre doing a full season-dump?

Looks like they're mixing elements from multiple books again - the satellites and meeting himself from the third, the flying-back-to-your-hands guns from the second.

Bit baffled by the opening "I was on the colony ship before stacks were invented" line though. In the books it's the invention of stacks that allows colonisation - there's no warp drive so physical travel between worlds takes multiple lifetimes. Colony ships carried a load of stored personalities and the means to manufacture bodies for them upon arrival, and were a one-time thing - there is no ongoing transport of physical items between worlds.

Seems like an odd change to make - a trivial detail that makes the setting just a bit less interesting.

I don’t think that *any* of the changes they’ve made have been an improvement over the books. 
At best they have been pointless, at worst a negative. Why alter what the Envoys are, for example?

Anyway, I’ll see how we go with S2. Anthony Mackie is doing a fine job as Kovacz, and if we get a third series it’s likely to be entirely new.  

I'm only on episode 2, so too early to say whether it’s a marked improvement on the first season. But holy hell, there's a laughably stupid action sequence at the start of this episode, involving a bunch of people and one gun. It's clearly supposed to be incredibly badass, but comes across like something from Police Squad in practice.

16 hours ago, Harsin said:

I'm only on episode 2, so too early to say whether it’s a marked improvement on the first season. But holy hell, there's a laughably stupid action sequence at the start of this episode, involving a bunch of people and one gun. It's clearly supposed to be incredibly badass, but comes across like something from Police Squad in practice.

I’ve watched half the series and it’s all like that it’s total trash. The only thing it’s got going for it are all the buff men. 

Watched 3 episodes in total, think I will jack it in. Finding it pretty tedious and it’s not holding my attention. Wonder how it's doing? The first series was bigged up as NETFLIX'S MOST EXPENSIVE SERIES EVAR!!! This feels like it's had a noticeable budget cut, there's virtually zero buzz online about it and there's been a grand total of 3 posts on here since the second season came out (and 2 of those are mine.)

I'm 3 episodes in and I'd agree, it's definitely toned down from series 1 in terms of budget, scope, effects, gore, nudity etc. but more importantly, the story is a bit shit and Kovacs' new actor hasn't got much screen presence.

I see what you mean about hype etc, not seen much about it online at all.

Spoiler

Why doesn't Kovacs tell any of these people who are after him that he didn't kill the Meth guy and has no idea who wiped his backups?

On a more positive note: Poe is the best thing about this, and his new friend (Dig) seems an interesting character. The bounty hunter lady whose name escapes me is also a decent character.

It's all a bit bland but I'll stick with it, hopefully it improves.

Quite enjoying it. There’s one scene between Kovacs and Poe which seems overplayed and off, but Tripp’s good, Mackie’s otherwise good, Poe’s good, there’s some fun cameos, and it’s not got the unnecessary nudity of the first. Can’t remember either of the second two books though.

Episode 1 was guff. A 45 minute explanation as to why we're back in the same place but it's a bit different and the main actor is new.

I really enjoyed S1 but this feels completely different. Didn't even recognise the planet!

Im watching it despite disliking the first series. For some reason this one has started engaging me around episode 5. 

Despite managing to glean a morsel of enjoyment out of it I have to  agree with @Vespa Alex they havent made a single improvement over the books, picking and choosing which elements they use, changing fundemental stuff to the detriment of the whole and leaving out all the best bits, presumably for bugetary constraints. 

I haven't felt like the main character was Kovacs in either series just seems all around too wet and a bit on the dumb side. You get the odd moment where they allude to his training and competence but its always via exposition.

I thought the fight in episode 4 was ace, plus the lay it all out there moments:

Spoiler

Betting on the winner, army guy saying "you do realise he is the LAST envoy?" betting on him - it was pure cheese but really fun nonetheless.

On 01/03/2020 at 21:00, cubik said:

Hide contents

Why doesn't Kovacs tell any of these people who are after him that he didn't kill the Meth guy and has no idea who wiped his backups?

On a more positive note: Poe is the best thing about this, and his new friend (Dig) seems an interesting character. The bounty hunter lady whose name escapes me is also a decent character.

I think because he was protecting what'sherface... 

In general it's been a silly romp so far and I remember so little about the 2nd and 3rd books that I can enjoy it without wondering what-ifs or whys spoiling it.

I haven't read the books, and don't plan to. Still enjoying this, watched Ep 4 last night.

I’m enjoying it. the switch of what envoys are jarred badly but I rewatched s1 before this one and it’s not so bad second time round if you aren’t expecting it to be a faithful adaptation. 

with the second series it’s now so far from the books in plot (as I remember them) that it’s really quite moot and just shares the same concept / characters. 

Poe is great though. He’s a really good addition 

And finished. Enjoyed that. The additions to the cast were good, particularly Trepp. Poe was nicely fleshed out, and Mackie grew into the lead role as the series went on. The 'dynamic' that is introduced later in the season worked a lot better than I initially thought it would. This is pulpy sci-fi, but the enjoyable kind. I'm hoping for more. :)

Can someone tell me, via spoiler, what the in-universe justification for having Poe back is? I just want to know if it’s something that would overly annoy me, as between that and Anthony Mackie being the lead (I’m sure he’s a nice guy, but I don’t rate him as an actor), I’ve been procrastinating on starting S2.