Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Uzi

In hindsight I think im being far to greedy and spamming attacks,, not blocking enough , not paying enough attention to patterns and not maximising or waiting for the correct moments for a decent opening.

Hindsight eh? Only taken me 2 fucking weeks duuuhhh

37 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

I found them to be the most annoying things to fight in the game, and I wont be touching them again in any new game mode, as I doubt they'll drop anything new.

Maybe you could spoiler the rest of that post?

I've seen a few of those guys throughout the game and have wondered if they might drop anything interesting if I went back to kill them. Would've been a nice surpirse.

22 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Anyway, I finally managed GS-O and have now ran into CM2. I really can't cope with back-to-back bosses in this so I need to find some side stuff to do.

I'd persevere with that boss fight.. 

Spoiler

Much easier than the first one, I felt. 

And after beating her you get a new area to do some proper exploring! 

6 minutes ago, robdood said:

I'd persevere with that boss fight.. 

Hide contents

Much easier than the first one, I felt. 

And after beating her you get a new area to do some proper exploring! 

Yeah it feels like she's got less health (overall, even) and much lower posture. You can stealth-kill the first dot too.

1 hour ago, Mr Ben said:

I found them to be the most annoying things to fight in the game, and I wont be touching them again in any new game mode, as I doubt they'll drop anything new.

Hide contents

Its worth fighting them the first time through though, as they drop infinite use versions of the sugars that use emblems instead. They're seriously good and I use them all the time, as I barely use emblems unless its on a boss or something that needs a specific prosthetic.

If you do fight them, I recommend getting the purple gourd from the vendor in Mibu Village. Only costs 1800 sen, and can even be used underwater, when the powders etc cannot.

I ran into the (boss spoiler)

Spoiler

Headless in the depths

but I think I will return to it when I have the (item spoiler)

Spoiler

finger whistle

if that works as I think it does.

I got the first one pretty easily but this one seemed a bit tougher and the area you fight him in is really small compared to the previous encounter.

25 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Hide contents

Yeah it feels like she's got less health (overall, even) and much lower posture. You can stealth-kill the first dot too.

Heh, re Stealth on that boss.. 

Spoiler

I don't know how, but on one attempt I managed to do it to the second health bar too! As I was constantly grappling to avoid the shadows, I saw the red dot appear on the bridge, pressed the button and WHAM phase three! 

This never happened again :(

30 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Hide contents

Edit: what @robdood said.

There's a way to consistently do it though, which just makes the fight a bit silly.

I think the boss ISS has finished this for me. While the other difficulty spikes I've experienced have seemed to reward perseverance I just can't click with this one, spent many hours but can't consistently counter the phases.

Shame as this appears to be right at the end and I really enjoyed it up to this point. But this one honestly just seems too difficult. 

A few of the very late game ones would be problems, yes, though not much more than that. I think it’s a weird holdover from previous From threads because here the names aren’t as descriptive as, say, blood starved beast or gaping dragon. It comes from the right place though. 

Not that I can remember any of the names anyway. I’d prefer we came up with forum shorthand: well prick, drunk wanker, spear bellend etc. 

7 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

I really struggle with the initials in this thread. I can just about make out LB and GA as they seem to be sticking points , but I have no idea with the rest . 

Would saying the names really spoil the game ? 

I’m pretty sure Ian Bogost had a column in Edge discussing how names of bosses, specifically the ones in Dark Souls, are not spoilers. I bet his eyes would have rolled out his head by now if he were reading this thread. 

11 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

A few of the very late game ones would be problems, yes, though not much more than that. I think it’s a weird holdover from previous From threads because here the names aren’t as descriptive as, say, blood starved beast or gaping dragon. It comes from the right place though. 

Not that I can remember any of the names anyway. I’d prefer we came up with forum shorthand: well prick, drunk wanker, spear bellend etc. 

See, I much prefer this system.

I knew exactly who you meant by all 3 of those descriptions :lol:

2 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

See, I much prefer this system.

I knew exactly who you meant by all 3 of those descriptions :lol:

But they’re probably more descriptive than the actual boss names, and isn’t that what we’re trying to avoid?

1 hour ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Gun cunt

Gen A was a total road block for me most of the last week. Just could not handle him at all.

I put hours and hours into fighting him, without even getting his first dot removed, before finally working out  a very effective strategy yesterday and that finally allowed me to manage him and inflict damage quickly enough to survive the fight. I was so, so, pleased to get the deathblow for his second dot...

Spoiler

...only to find a whole new phase with new, one hit kill moves that I hadn't seen before. Absolutely soul destroying. Another hour or two of practice on that phase and, finally, he has been put down. 

The effort exerted on Gen A was interspersed with pushing on into S Valley and the Depths as they were the only routes I hadn't reached a dead end in. I took out the Spear Bastard, two Snakey Eyes, and the Well Camera, as well as another rhythm action centipede so that got me a few much needed Prayer Beads. 

Gen A is probably the hardest boss I've faced in any FROM game and that's after having completed DaS 1-3 and Bloodborne without any NPC or summons assists,  so I suspect I'm going to struggle to complete this one any time soon.

The game hasn't opened up as much as I'd have liked given the time I was stuck although I did get to a very odd 'boss', one that was more irritating than fun but a change of pace at least.

I'm currently being bothered by primates and poison so onward and, hopefully, upwards...

13 minutes ago, JPL said:

@Mike S What was the strategy you used? I’m struggling like fuck with him.

Spoiler

I used the double overhead strike combat art  - Itchy Jimbo I think it's called.

It's slow to wind up but he will often just stand in front of you doing nothing which gives a decent window. The move can even be started from a range in which the first strike will miss but the second will hit. So, basically I just stood in his face as much as I could charging up the Itchy. Sometimes he fails to react so you can get another two hits or, failing that, a couple of deflections when he retaliates. 

I combined that with occasional deployments of  the Spring Loaded Axe with Fang & Blade which, if timed right allowed me to inflict significant posture and/or Vitality damage especially when followed up with a double Itchy.

Last phase was, aside from the new attacks, maybe a little easier as his posture goes down much more easily.

Good luck!

14 minutes ago, Mike S said:
  Hide contents

I used the double overhead strike combat art  - Itchy Jimbo I think it's called.

It's slow to wind up but he will often just stand in front of you doing nothing which gives a decent window. The move can even be started from a range in which the first strike will miss but the second will hit. So, basically I just stood in his face as much as I could charging up the Itchy. Sometimes he fails to react so you can get another two hits or, failing that, a couple of deflections when he retaliates. 

I combined that with occasional deployments of  the Spring Loaded Axe with Fang & Blade which, if timed right allowed me to inflict significant posture and/or Vitality damage especially when followed up with a double Itchy.

Last phase was, aside from the new attacks, maybe a little easier as his posture goes down much more easily.

Good luck!

Excellent, thanks! I think that’s the move Mr Ben was telling me about the other day. I’ll give it a go and report back.

Double Ichi is amazing on gun twat later on, btw. It’s very useful in general. 

If anyone is really struggling on a boss I recommend watching a speedrun of it. The single-fight YT vids tend to be about style rather than simplicity, and runners have already pared a lot of fights down to the barest essentials. Roof prick takes about a minute and you will learn a tremendous amount about how much you (don’t) need to respect his moveset. 

29 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Double Ichi is amazing on gun twat later on, btw. It’s very useful in general. 

If anyone is really struggling on a boss I recommend watching a speedrun of it. The single-fight YT vids tend to be about style rather than simplicity, and runners have already pared a lot of fights down to the barest essentials. Roof prick takes about a minute and you will learn a tremendous amount about how much you (don’t) need to respect his moveset. 

Don’t suppose you’ve got a link? I’d love to see how quickly he can be destroyed.

I made it to the next part of GSO with items to spare, but met defeat eventually. It's starting to feel like it could be do-able... if not for the camera occasionally disappearing up its own arse. ;)