rllmuk
Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

This is probably obvious but some things I just today realised about Isshin 

Spoiler

He is the dude with the mask who teaches you the ashina techniques who is hunting rats! 

He sent Emma to get you out of the well with the note and asked her to help you!

He cut the the sculptors’ arm off!

The sword saint is a younger version of him!

I personally found old ass Isshin the largest cunt of the lot. 

• Upvote 1

@Wiper has some correct opinions. 
The game is a lot smaller than bloodborne though. And that setting is the best of the lot. But the combat here is the perfect version of what they’ve been doing. 

1 hour ago, Oz said:

This is probably obvious but some things I just today realised about Isshin 

Reveal hidden contents

He is the dude with the mask who teaches you the ashina techniques who is hunting rats! 

He sent Emma to get you out of the well with the note and asked her to help you!

He cut the the sculptors’ arm off!

The sword saint is a younger version of him!

I personally found old ass Isshin the largest cunt of the lot. 

I think you're supposed to realise the first one 

Spoiler

when you meet him in his room, his tengu outfit is hanging on the wall and he calls you Sekiro.

Some of the other points are discovered through eavesdropping and giving people sake.

Do you know about the

Spoiler

Demon of Hatred?

@Wiper Like dug said, early game just sink all your cash into spirit emblems and build up a nice stash. But also, you must've seen the coin purses vendors sell? They stop you losing sen upon death. There's a very limited supply, though.

I recently saw somebody, on Twitter I think, speculating that the coin purses are a nod to dung pies in Dark Souls, because players (not me) learned if you buy one for 200 souls you get those back

Spoiler

if you feed it to Frampt.

1 hour ago, wretcherd said:

I think you're supposed to realise the first one 

Hide contents

when you meet him in his room, his tengu outfit is hanging on the wall and he calls you Sekiro.

Some of the other points are discovered through eavesdropping and giving people sake.

Do you know about the

Hide contents

Demon of Hatred?

I do from reading the web. I also managed to find that boss when exploring after the invasion. But I did not bother to fight it. Boss mechanics seem rather out of place for the game. Is there a way to safe him from becoming? 

I did Genichiro on xbone. I finally feel more confident in the final phase. Btw how do I get the bone to record more than 2 mins?

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Oz said:

I did Genichiro on xbone. I finally feel more confident in the final phase. Btw how do I get the bone to record more than 2 mins?

Sweet Christ that's really something.

I'm just after the first mini boss on the Hirata estate, trying to keep the aggression/attacks in between parrying.

It's very special indeed but still not clicked

29 minutes ago, Oz said:

Push the Guide button on the pad and you'll see four options, one of which is 'Capture Options'. Select that, then scroll down to 'Capture what happened', then select how long you want, from 15 seconds to 5 minutes.

2 hours ago, Oz said:

I also managed to find that boss when exploring after the invasion.

It's a really cool fight, much easier if you've upgraded to the

Spoiler

fireproof brolly

I've dug out a vid of me doing the first phase from way back when.

DoH boss spoilers:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Number 28 said:

@Wiper Like dug said, early game just sink all your cash into spirit emblems and build up a nice stash. But also, you must've seen the coin purses vendors sell? They stop you losing sen upon death. There's a very limited supply, though.

Ah, I wasn't sure what the return rate on the coin purses was (it doesn't explicitly say, and I wasn't about to use one to find out when I had nothing to spend it on!), so I'd been wary of purchasing them. I've now cleared them out as a supply.

Bull absolutely flattened be twice more before I got a feel for the necessary hit and (literally) run tactics, then beat him with only one use of the gourd. It never stopped feeling weird to fight an enemy that standing your ground and parrying/short evading isn't good for! Since then I've: killed some random general and his riflemen (the riflemen were a pain to clear out, I must say, but after that he seemed fine), noped out of a battle with a pike wielding boss (I was somewhat distressed when I learned the painful lesson that he recovers from your mikiri counter faster than you do...), noped out of a battle with a random dude in a hole (my posture! My health!), and finally made my way across some rooftops to a window (after my initial attempt was aborted when some Ric Flair motherfucker 'woo'ed into me unexpectedly). Fun!

• Upvote 2

I somehow managed to get the the last boss over the weekend.

I think this may be where my journey ends. 

@Wiper Yeah, they cost a little more than you get back, but it's a worthwhile investment because Fromsoft game = many deaths. Another handy tip is, instead of going into the menu to use your purse items, just sell them and you're reimbursed with the same amount.

You can actually defeat the bull by standing your ground, basically deflecting his charges like a matador, in fact I imagine that's how you're *supposed* to do it. But yeah, I just chased his arse and used firecrackers. He was actually toned down in the first patch, although I can't say I noticed any difference using my method.

1 hour ago, Number 28 said:

You can actually defeat the bull by standing your ground, basically deflecting his charges like a matador, in fact I imagine that's how you're *supposed* to do it. But yeah, I just chased his arse and used firecrackers. He was actually toned down in the first patch, although I can't say I noticed any difference using my method.

I tried that at first, but even when I was getting the nice yellow ding of deflection, it still seemed to build my 'burning' gauge, so I gave up on it.

I've since scaled the castle, found an old grave filled with loot, found a secret side exit filled with those weird hoppy ninjas, murdered some 'elite fencer' dude (who seemed to deal damage even when deflected! So then I switched to my umbrella and killed him in seconds...), and... died infinite times to the boss man at the top of the castle. Got him halfway through his second health bar a couple of times, but always fall before the final hurdle - always a delight when he catches me with that sodding 'leap in the air and remove half your health with arrows' trick, or when I miss my cue and get stuck in the middle of the Combo Of Doom. Had to cure everyone of dragonrot again, and now I'm out of anti-dragonrot... thingies. I should probably go and do some other things and come back to him when I'm a bit more confident.

Especially as all the pickups and scroll suggest I should be expecting lightning attacks, and as I've not seen any yet I'm guessing there's more to him than meets the eye.

• Upvote 2

By the sounds of it, you could probably get a couple more health/power upgrades before you need to face him. Probably worth finishing off the dream bit if you haven't yet, and knocking out any other mini-bosses for beads first.

Yeah, I went back this afternoon and mopped up the dream area. It was extremely satisfying to go back and kill the drunkard without taking a hit (and without letting the friendly samurai die)! The boss lady was trickier, though; I'm glad I'd already beaten the bull, as that had taught me the essential "run in circles" skill I needed to deal with her post-horde barrage. Took three attempts, but she wasn't too bad once I'd learned her patterns.

I celebrated by rampaging my way through the starter area... Then tried the headless enemy, which went terribly. Not being able to dodge/dash would be annoying enough, but the camera angles in that cavern made me want to scream. One for later, I think. 

9 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Yeah, I went back this afternoon and mopped up the dream area. It was extremely satisfying to go back and kill the drunkard without taking a hit (and without letting the friendly samurai die)! The boss lady was trickier, though; I'm glad I'd already beaten the bull, as that had taught me the essential "run in circles" skill I needed to deal with her post-horde barrage. Took three attempts, but she wasn't too bad once I'd learned her patterns.

I celebrated by rampaging my way through the starter area... Then tried the headless enemy, which went terribly. Not being able to dodge/dash would be annoying enough, but the camera angles in that cavern made me want to scream. One for later, I think. 

Quick tip for the headless dude (in spoilers in case you don't want to read it, although there's no actual spoilers)

Spoiler

Divine Confetti really helps. To the point where personally I don't bother even trying to take him on if I don't have a decent supply. Without it, you do an absolutely pitiful amount of damage to him.

Yeah, the headless are just painful to fight, switching between and using items, slow motion, terror build up, etc. There's nothing fun about it at all. I resorted to spamming the purple umbrella attack, but even then, to get the necessary amount of spirit emblems you have to spend skill points to boost your total. On the plus side there's no real drawback to ignoring them completely as their drops aren't especially necessary. I'd at least recommend leaving it till much later.

Good luck with Genichiro, he's a large difficulty spike for most people. Don't worry about healing dragonrot. It's been said before, it's a half-baked mechanic. I heard it was more ambitious originally, but they scaled it back, presumably to reduce difficulty/tedium. If you must heal dragonrot, I would wait till after bosses otherwise they'll likely just get sick again.

I would've been fine with a harsher dragonrot mechanic if you could back out of every boss fight. Knowing when to back off from the drunkard to try to preserve sen/XP/dragonrot was pretty cool I thought but with most critical bosses you get walled in, so the tactical choice of when to press and when to retreat is removed.

• Upvote 3

Apologies for the continuing self-indulgence, but my progress report having decided to go back and explore other areas before dying horribl trying the top floor boss man again:

• finally started putting points into the Ashina upgrades, despite having no real interest in the initial attack (I'm very fond of my reversable nightjar attack, see). Wish I'd done that sooner, as there appear to be a lot of useful passives in there! Beginning to regret the points I've sunk into shinobi abilities with little application in boss fights (e.g. regaining health on deathblows, being harder to detect)
  • killed some random dudes on a bridge that I'd previously eavesdropped but evidently otherwise ignored, and got a key for my troubles! I now have a spear.
  • after getting the spear, murdered Mr Seven Spears. One frustrating death when I dodged backwards into a wall and got insta-comboed, but second attempt went smoothly.
  • also murdered Mr Lives In A Hole swordsman nearby, which was embarrassingly straightforward this time around. Then went back in time and, as far as I can tell, murdered him again. I now have some sort of feather! I have yet to try it.
  • discovered a whole new area past the hole dweller! It was very dark. Also, zombies. Then I jumped down a bottomless pit, collected a lot of tasty upgrade materials, then very nearly died to a mob of gun/stick wielding enemies. Decided to call it a day at this point.

As a result of that and my previous fun finishing off the drunkard and butterfly, I now have two levels of upgrade to health and attack, which is nice. Hoping to put a few more points into the Ashina tree so I can up my posture damage output, then I might try the boss man again.

• Upvote 7

Good work @Wiper! Definitely give Mr Boss Man another go. I'm sure you'll take him soon. After him the other bosses are easier, I found, excepting the final one, of course...

I mentioned on the last page that I was facing Genichiro, did him after a couple of attempts, plus a couple of spooky fuckers that you need divine confetti to beat. Was pretty pleased with my days progress. Any pleasure has all but evaporated today, that fucking big monkey can do one. I've only fought him twice but the speed he's managed to dispatch me feels like it's going to make Genichiro seem like King Bob-omb.

Nah, like all (ok, most) bosses in these games that seem impossible at first, he's not that bad once you learn his tells.

This is one of the rare bosses where I found a lot more success by running around and getting in hits where you can, rather than getting up in his face and trying to deflect.

• Upvote 2

Listen to dug, he speaks the truth.

I just need to apply that thinking to Issun now... hes such a bellend

Eh, you beat Geni on the second attempt and you're struggling with the big lad? He's not easy, but do as dug says. Find an opening to deploy some firecrackers, hit, stun, rail some more, rinse and repeat... :ph34r:

I was so close to throwing the towel in on this yesterday. That fucking Guardian Ape and his fake out. Managed to suss out his move set for his first stage after dying several times only for the bastard to Altered Beast and have me dead within seconds.

Was feeling pretty pissed off as I play him with the long game, I tried oil and flame vents and firecrackers but it got a bit messy in the heat of battle so just stuck to staying my distance and getting hits in during his openings, such as when you zip under him during his shit fling and after his floor tantrum etc. So the first stage takes a good chunk of time, a slash here, a jab there, over and over, then up he bloody pops and it's round two. Was demoralizing.

Anyway, after stepping away, lighting some incense and rubbing myself with some soothing essential oils, I glued the joystick back together and beat him after a 20 minute war of attrition.

Fucking hell this game can be punishing.

It's bloody good though.

• Upvote 6

18 minutes ago, amc said:

I was so close to throwing the towel in on this yesterday. That fucking Guardian Ape and his fake out. Managed to suss out his move set for his first stage after dying several times only for the bastard to Altered Beast and have me dead within seconds.

Was feeling pretty pissed off as I play him with the long game, I tried oil and flame vents and firecrackers but it got a bit messy in the heat of battle so just stuck to staying my distance and getting hits in during his openings, such as when you zip under him during his shit fling and after his floor tantrum etc. So the first stage takes a good chunk of time, a slash here, a jab there, over and over, then up he bloody pops and it's round two. Was demoralizing.

Anyway, after stepping away, lighting some incense and rubbing myself with some soothing essential oils I glued the joystick back together and beat him after a 20 minute war of attrition.

Fucking hell this game can be punishing.

It's bloody good though.

After taking on some of the later bosses you'll look back on the Ape fight with a fond, gentle chuckle.

Good work, though!

• Upvote 1