Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Uzi

45 minutes ago, squirtle said:

There is no feeling of empowerment in this.

I thought this too but there actually is once you master the combat and the prosthetics, seeing videos of this guy absolutely destroying the final boss on reddit every day until Elden Ring is released is pretty mental and demonstrates it to the extreme. It's just different to Soulsborne as the game encourages an aggressive parrying style playstyle, you can't tank or block/dodge your way through this game and a passive reactive playstyle will not give you that feeling of empowerment, you have to aggressively fight everyone (once stealth is exhausted) and the better you get at that the more fun it becomes. I know this doesn't help because this is what people kept saying and I kept reading and until I actually managed to do it I thought they were full of shit.

Anyway those ninjas with the feet you can parry all their kicks and if you succeed the final kick they do will give you a posture deathblow. It took me fucking ages to get to that point though, late into my NG+ run until I actually got a handle on those fuckers and started to own them, it was learning the rhythm I needed to parry each kick with.

I mentioned a while ago in this thread that fighting the last boss felt like a martial arts training montage; getting destroyed to start with but learning more and more each time. Finally you instinctively know all the tells and how to react, and can handle the early stages with ease. Then you finally beat them all and it's the best feeling in the world. :D

It's a different story of empowerment to the Souls games. There's no going back to early areas and swatting enemies away like that aren't there, but there's a definite feeling of empowerment through skill.

I'm stuck on the two Vilehands in the castle underneath you know who. I struggled enough with the one in the pagoda and fighting two is an exercise in frustration. Any tips? At the moment it feels like I'd stand a better chance at the real boss instead of these guys, not helped by the annoying run back after death.

Only the guy at the far end of the room is a vilehand mini-boss, the other is a standard purple git (aka Interior Ministry Ninja). I think the idea is that you sneak up on Mr Purple near the door and use puppeteer ninjustu to help give you an advantage. But another, much easier tactic is to cheat by backstabbing Mr Purple to death then quickly quitting the game and reloading. You'll load outside the room and Vilehand will not be aggro'd allowing you to get the first stealth deathblow. :)

As for round two, um, I just use standard deflections whilst being sure to dodge around his 3-step poison jab? It should wear him down eventually.

Yeah, back stab the one to the left then puppeteer him and get some stabs in on the main guy when you can. I think you can backstab the undead one again to keep them alive for longer as well and they will do lots of damage to the mini boss.

Ah, I didn't realise one was a normal dude. I went for the sneak before my question here, and the purple guy is in the corner facing out into the room and seemed to spot me whatever I did (maybe I could do it with the stealth item?). I'm entering via the window as the other direction is a fog gate. I'll have another shot at it another day, its less daunting now I know its not 2 mini bosses! Thanks chaps.

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

Ah, I didn't realise one was a normal dude. I went for the sneak before my question here, and the purple guy is in the corner facing out into the room and seemed to spot me whatever I did (maybe I could do it with the stealth item?). I'm entering via the window as the other direction is a fog gate. I'll have another shot at it another day, its less daunting now I know its not 2 mini bosses! Thanks chaps.

The window, huh? Every time I played I came in from the double doors right beside the save idol. It's been a little while, so I can't actually remember a fog gate there.

Maybe - and this is assuming you're where I think you are - the fastest way to get in a position you can deathblow the lackey would be to head to Isshin's room, head down the stairs and follow the corridor until you come up on the opposite side of Vilehand. Alternatively, traveling to the Antechamber of Ashina Castle if it's available and heading in from there. (Ashina Dojo is the idol I mentioned being right beside the door)

I'm gonna whap it on and see if my save's anywhere close by. I'm guessing a little bit here.

Yeah, I think you're supposed to enter the fight from the Upper Tower Ashina Dojo idol. The fog gate must be an entering from the window thing, which I'm not sure I tried. It's possible the dojo doors need opening again from the outside.

I haven't even tried Isshin's room yet, the roof way seemed the most direct to the next pertinent point, so I didn't see any point in trawling through the castle (presumably filled with assholes now). So I will give that a shot next time, cheers!

I love Souls games (greatest games of all time) but I’ve got to be in the right mental space to face the challenge.  And.my work is too hectic at the minute (Teacher Assessed Grades are the absolute worst). So I’m going to have to put this to one side until all that’s behind me. (Started returnal, but that’s clearly the same kettle or fish). 

I’m really worried I’ll have forgotten how to play by the time I can, and that’ll be the end of it. But hey ho. A nice simple easy linear story game like resident evil is all I can take right now. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I’m kind of in awe of this game, and just From Software in general. I can’t get over how it simultaneously is the skeleton of a Souls game and yet at the same time is completely different. 

Just got to Genichiro and managed to take him to his third phase on my third go, which I’m pleasantly surprised by. 

The Mikiri Counter might be my new most satisfying move in all of gaming.

It’s just…like I can’t comprehend this developer. Demon’s to Dark to Bloodborne to Sekiro would be an amazing ten year run, with each game offering a different spin on a base formula. But in amongst that they chucked in two massive and awesome sequels to Dark Souls as well?! And some of the best DLC ever made? And Elden Ring is coming out just three years after Sekiro? We’re not worthy.

• 3 weeks later...

I am very near the end of this now, but in another way not near at all. I have activated the idols for immediate access to Owl Father, Demon of Hatred and the final boss. How long is this likely to take me?

I’m thinking I’ll be pretty chuffed if I knock these three fuckers off inside 12 hours of playing time. Am going for Owl first and its clear I’m not going to beat him unless I can anticipate and respond to every single one of his moves, which is going to take a while.