IGNORED

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Uzi

On 26/02/2022 at 12:45, Benny said:

About the structure of that final boss:

Reveal hidden contents

Genchiro at the start is actually genius. What seems like a chore at first is actually getting you to become more consistent and sharp with your combat techniques and reads by the time you reach the final boss phases. By the time you are "ready" to beat Isshin in his subsequent phases you will be consistently ripping through Genchiro in seconds like a hot knife through butter.

Yes, agreed. One of the things I love about Sekiro is 

Spoiler

the fact that there's a Genichiro fight at the beginning of the game. On your first playthrough you get absolutely beasted by him and think that the fight is practically unwinnable. But once you've completed the game, you're able to swat Genichiro aside like a fly. So much so that next time you start a playthrough (even with a fresh playthrough, not ng+) you absolutely fuck Genichiro a new one. You remember what it was like first time you fought him and in comparison it feels like you're bending the matrix to your will.

Possibly my favourite moment of "look how far your skills have come" in gaming history.

23 minutes ago, dug said:

Yes, agreed. One of the things I love about Sekiro is 

Hide contents

the fact that there's a Genichiro fight at the beginning of the game. On your first playthrough you get absolutely beasted by him and think that the fight is practically unwinnable. But once you've completed the game, you're able to swat Genichiro aside like a fly. So much so that next time you start a playthrough (even with a fresh playthrough, not ng+) you absolutely fuck Genichiro a new one. You remember what it was like first time you fought him and in comparison it feels like you're bending the matrix to your will.

Possibly my favourite moment of "look how far your skills have come" in gaming history.

Spoiler

Complete agree. It's why I started the game again shortly after on NG+ just out of curiosity - the subsequent feeling of empowerment was like nothing else and almost as good as beating the final boss.

Aaaaand I got him! First try with the proper lightning reversal. 

Nearly fell apart a bit here - lots of backing away instead of dodging behind his Ichimonji, but whatever, we got it done (curse the stupid Xbox's 1 min recording limit!):

Spoiler

@Don Wiskerando It's been way more fun playing this and hearing about you go through it at the same time. Keep at it, you'll get him.

I think this might be my favourite souls. It feels like a distilled test of skill. No fat. I love it.

I thought I'd be bounding off to start Elden Ring right this second, but I think I might go find some bosses I missed.

I seem to remember watching vids of people fighting a big fire demon and him like bouncing off their umbrella. I haven't seemed to have found him. Is that the bell demon I didn't bother ringing the bell for?

And I think I need to go polish off Hirata estate.

The bell demon just makes the entire game more difficult, it doesn't relate to any boss. Btw, don't worry if you ring it, you can undo the effect immediately by using the item it places in your inventory. From the Old Grave idol at the castle, head over the bridge the invading forces have built and make your way backwards through the Ashina Outskirts. You'll find the fire demon eventually. Remember there's the second memory if you did the eavesdropping thing, plus the second 'bad' ending bosses if you start over (maybe leave that for another day).

Also, congrats! :)

51 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

The bell demon just makes the entire game more difficult, it doesn't relate to any boss. Btw, don't worry if you ring it, you can undo the effect immediately by using the item it places in your inventory. From the Old Grave idol at the castle, head over the bridge the invading forces have built and make your way backwards through the Ashina Outskirts. You'll find the fire demon eventually. Remember there's the second memory if you did the eavesdropping thing, plus the second 'bad' ending bosses if you start over (maybe leave that for another day).

Also, congrats! :)

Thanks for this, I’ve been trying to find my way back to the outskirts but all the paths I tried were blocked. 

Just took out Lady B. I think I should have done that way, way earlier, as it was a cakewalk and I could have done with being able to use that Sakura droplet. From the description, it looks like I would have to speak to Kuro to use it?

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Just took out Lady B. I think I should have done that way, way earlier, as it was a cakewalk and I could have done with being able to use that Sakura droplet. From the description, it looks like I would have to speak to Kuro to use it?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she's the first boss I killed. Before the horse boss in the courtyard, even. She certainly isn't a cake walk that early in the game!

12 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she's the first boss I killed. Before the horse boss in the courtyard, even. She certainly isn't a cake walk that early in the game!

I think you said earlier to leave it for later on, so I assumed it was endgame stuff. My mistake!

I'm really enjoying watching the VaatiVidya videos on this. Seems I missed quite a bit of lore, though it's not as impenetrable as the other From games. I think I'd really like to replay it and get another ending. Is NG+ a big step up, and is the difficulty in the damage enemies do or are the bosses much harder in terms of their attacks?

I should be playing Elden Ring, but I’ve been doing the Reflections of Strength, fighting ISS and Genichiro more. This is very odd for me - I don’t replay games, and I don’t replay bosses that I get through by the seat of my pants. 

@Benny was right though. 

Spoiler

Genichiro isn’t there when you do the Isshin reflection. You just go straight to him and it feels like a cheat. 

Do the reflections scale with your level? I’m sure Genichiro on top of the castle is harder than when I faced him first time around. Does way more posture damage. 

• 1 month later...

So as I continue to bounce of EB at the end of Elden ring I got this for £19 on Series X using some reward points. It's £29 currently btw. 

Anyway this is a bit good so far.  I've been exploring a fair bit and visited the past but mainly been focusing on learning to deflect properly. And enjoy how powerful you feel when you use stealth and it correctly. 

Look forward to putting lots more time in once I'm back from an Easter Weekend away in Tenby. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, PikaStu said:

If anyone is still looking for a copy of this, CDKeys have the Xbox GotY version for the Argentinian store for £9.99. 

Does that work on your UK (shudder) account or do you have to switch regions to Argentina?

40 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Does that work on your UK (shudder) account or do you have to switch regions to Argentina?

I assume, like the Turkey Gamepass codes, you just set your VPN to Argentina and activate the code on the Xbox Redeem website.

However the VPN I use doesn’t have Argentina as an option, I wonder if Brazil would work?

• 2 weeks later...

This is still a tenner on CD Keys, so I took the plunge.

To confirm, you do need a VPN set to Argentina. My usual VPN doesn’t have a server in Argentina, and (free) Tunnel Bear does NOT work, I had to take out a free trial for Free VPN on my iPhone (funny name seeing as it’s not actually free lol).

Anyway, it’s now added to my UK Xbox account, so it’s all good!

Edit: forgot to say it’s the Xbone version I’m talking about!

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2022 at 08:40, PikaStu said:

This is still a tenner on CD Keys, so I took the plunge.

To confirm, you do need a VPN set to Argentina. My usual VPN doesn’t have a server in Argentina, and (free) Tunnel Bear does NOT work, I had to take out a free trial for Free VPN on my iPhone (funny name seeing as it’s not actually free lol).

Anyway, it’s now added to my UK Xbox account, so it’s all good!

Edit: forgot to say it’s the Xbone version I’m talking about!

Just bought it. Thanking you kindly. I can get shot of the disk now. Hopefully get a few quid for it.

On 18/05/2022 at 13:06, LaveDisco said:I'm getting straight back into this after finishing Elden Ring. 

I think it might be their best game.

so the question is do I restart this on the deck, or carry on on ps5... 

10 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

so the question is do I restart this on the deck, or carry on on ps5... 

depending on how far you got, restarting might be a good option. Trying to reorientate yourself in the map and get the flow back with tougher enemies could be challenging.

it’s a game that deserves many full play throughs anyway!

On 18/05/2022 at 13:06, LaveDisco said:

I'm getting straight back into this after finishing Elden Ring. 

I think it might be their best game.

I think I’m about half way through Elden Ring, but haven’t bothered playing it in over a month. 

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Sekiro is their best game. 

From the couple of hours I’ve played, I much prefer the linearity compared to ER. There’s still exploration to be done, but the game feels more focussed.

I also adore the Japanese setting with the architecture and scenery. 
I’m still on my first play through of ER, over 160hrs in, but it’s on the back burner for now while I mess around with this (and some other games I’ve picked up cheap).

• 1 month later...

I’ve finally finished this (as in, saw the main ending). It must have taken me over 200 goes to actually do all 4 phases of the final boss, but I loved every minute of that. I was never frustrated as every time I died I knew exactly what I’d done wrong. By the end I was in an almost zen state where I could smack the living shit out of the first 2 phases quickly without getting hit.

Elden Ring just shades it for me due to the scale, but this is definitely my second favourite Fromsoft game, and the best in terms of pure feel and gameplay reward. That sound when you get a perfect deflection is just bliss. The point where you realise that the easiest way to beat some bosses is just to keep wailing and break their posture quickly is pure gaming Nirvana.

Anyway, now that I’m done, can anyone recommend any games that have a similar feel to their combat? Or, is there an Elden Ring build that plays similarly?

8 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

I’ve finally finished this (as in, saw the main ending). It must have taken me over 200 goes to actually do all 4 phases of the final boss, but I loved every minute of that. I was never frustrated as every time I died I knew exactly what I’d done wrong. By the end I was in an almost zen state where I could smack the living shit out of the first 2 phases quickly without getting hit.

Elden Ring just shades it for me due to the scale, but this is definitely my second favourite Fromsoft game, and the best in terms of pure feel and gameplay reward. That sound when you get a perfect deflection is just bliss. The point where you realise that the easiest way to beat some bosses is just to keep wailing and break their posture quickly is pure gaming Nirvana.

Anyway, now that I’m done, can anyone recommend any games that have a similar feel to their combat? Or, is there an Elden Ring build that plays similarly?

Sifu, which came out this year, felt very similar to me in terms of its challenging combat. It copy and pastes Sekiro's structure system, too. I finished it last week and enjoyed it enough to get the platinum trophy:

Also I think the visceral thrill of exacting katana combat and cutting enemies down quickly was probably last done as well in Ninja Gaiden. Maybe Metal Gear: Rising at a pinch.

21 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Well, that’s Sifu getting bought. 

Since you enjoyed Ghost Runner so much, which (from what I can tell) also focuses on replaying levels to perfect them, then you'll find Sifu very much up your alley, I'm sure.