Jump to content

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice


Uzi
 Share

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Mike S said:

 

 

The unlearning of all those Soulsborne habits and play styles is the key to success in the early game. Once I began to understand the relationship between posture and vitality and realised that defence was as effective a tool for defeating a foe as regular souls style offence the game really clicked and began to flow.

 

 

Thanks, will persist. As another soulsborne non-parry-er, it's a different mindset, quite a passive approach to an encounter given the risk of missing the deflect. Feel like I'm standing there waiting to get hit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, robdood said:

 

Cheers Rob. Mashing from the moment the enemy enters the attack animation it is. Will that work with bosses too?

 

However, I’m still wondering how the lag of different set-ups impacts fast-reaction scenarios like the kanji dodge/jump etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Mike S said:

 

 

The unlearning of all those Soulsborne habits and play styles is the key to success in the early game. Once I began to understand the relationship between posture and vitality and realised that defence was as effective a tool for defeating a foe as regular souls style offence the game really clicked and began to flow.

 

 

Yeah, the L1 button can be as and more effective than the R1.

 

R1 won't do much as much damage until their posture is down which you do by deflecting their attacks. And as the posture goes down, R1 hits harder. If you fight the "std" enemies in the early areas, you can get by with the Soulsborne methods but it takes longer to kill each one as they also block your attacks (leading to posture damage to you). Fight them using L1, you'll find it's a quick couple of deflections then an R1 deathblow

 

Now tell my hands to do this please :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

Right. Thanks for the tips for the BB. 

 

I'm currently just after BB and JtD. 

 

I don't think I've found any merchants. Can I please have some gentle hints where I should be looking?

 

Spoiler

Look around the area where you fought the Chained Ogre. One is pretty easy to find, and one's a bit harder (and higher up).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Let us measure said:

 

  Hide contents

Look around the area where you fought the Chained Ogre. One is pretty easy to find, and one's a bit harder (and higher up).

 

That's the big stairway at about the third Idol in that area?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, jonamok said:

 

Cheers Rob. Mashing from the moment the enemy enters the attack animation it is. Will that work with bosses too?

 

However, I’m still wondering how the lag of different set-ups impacts fast-reaction scenarios like the kanji dodge/jump etc.

 

You might be right about the lag cuz the parries feel spot on to me, not saying I am any good just they feel right when I hit or mess up. If you are having trouble with the tutorial guy or normal enemies then yeah could be lag.

 

Saying that From games do have this thing where the controls sometimes feel like they are conspiring against you, I have a problem where the use item button moves me forward, probably going to swap that to down when I next play. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@jonamok If you’re sure it isn’t your own timing, then it must be the TV, as I’m on an X with an Elite Controller and I’m not having any problems. Like @robdood says in his video above, I’m hitting L1 as soon as they begin their strike and it’s working every time. I’m on an LG B7 though, so I think I’m pretty good for input lag.

 

I’d recommend spending a bit of tome with the trainer, trying out different timings on when you press the button. Failing that spam L1. That seems to always work, but you don’t get the best parries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hoo boy has this clicked.

 

Did LACG last night and felt briefly like a god. Haven't seen much said about it yet but audio's so important for rapid deflecting, there's a rhythm to long attack strings that I think this fight is specifically designed to teach you, since he really only does two things. Loved it. Thought the set-piecey bit just before it was fantastic too. There are a few bits where you can really see Activision's involvement (meant as a good thing).

 

This does feel very Dark Souls II to me in the way the world is designed, there are a *lot* of idols and while I've found a fair few shortcuts by now I'm not entirely sure any of them are particularly useful, mostly because there are so many idols dotted around. I've only had a couple of instances where I've been desperate for an idol to appear and they normally do before long. Helps that you're so mobile and can just peg it past trouble, admittedly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

Can I have a URL link to this part please? I want to share with a few people off the forum. 

 

It's really helpful by the way :)

There's a YouTube version if that's any use?

 

 

(You can just click on these embedded players to get links, you know?) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

This does feel very Dark Souls II to me in the way the world is designed, there are a *lot* of idols and while I've found a fair few shortcuts by now I'm not entirely sure any of them are particularly useful

Agree a lot with this.  It's a thing I've noticed in Bloodborne and dark souls 3, it's almost like late in development they just arbitrarily added a bunch of bonfires based on one tiny bit of focus testing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@robdood Caught some of the stream last night, excellent stuff. You explain stuff really well and I like your informal and chatty manner. It's also very refreshing to see a streamer who isn't trying to be outrageous and hilarious all the time. The 'normal bloke playing a game' works much better.

 

For anyone struggling with the Mikiri Counter I find it vastly easier to pull off if I'm guarding when I hit circle (and no direction on the thumbstick). I can't see anything saying this should be the case, but I can do it very reliably with guard up and less than 50% of the time with guard down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Stanley said:

This really is worth watching everyone, some great tips, like why would you buy coin purses? Because you don't lose them when you die. You're basically banking your gold.

 

Right, so by opening my coin purses immediately, then dying, I've basically been pouring money down the drain?

 

How do you use ceramic pieces then? I've chucked them directly at enemy's faces, but they just shrug them off after a few moment of yellow alert. Smashing them nearby foes doesn't seem to get their attention.

 

After a brutal session last night at the start of Hirate Estate I think I'm getting the idea. Basically, don't die. It's better to bug out and rest at an idol than die. Use everything at your disposal - items, resurrects, healing, mobility, to get to an idol rather than outright die. Spend your money or lose it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Pob said:

 

Right, so by opening my coin purses immediately, then dying, I've basically been pouring money down the drain?

 

How do you use ceramic pieces then? I've chucked them directly at enemy's faces, but they just shrug them off after a few moment of yellow alert. Smashing them nearby foes doesn't seem to get their attention.

 

After a brutal session last night at the start of Hirate Estate I think I'm getting the idea. Basically, don't die. It's better to bug out and rest at an idol than die. Use everything at your disposal - items, resurrects, healing, mobility, to get to an idol rather than outright die. Spend your money or lose it.

1. Yes, you've been pouring half of it away at least. 

 

2. Ceramic pieces will - when thrown directly at enemy - lure guards to the spot from which you throw them. They should, anyway.  

 

3. Yes.  Though the more resurrects the more Rot you infect the world with.  You do have the pocket idol you can use to warp, remember!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, jonamok said:

There’s seemingly a cohort, here and elsewhere, who find the parry window (and kanji jump/dodge windows) to be generous, and hence relatively easy to get right after some practice. And then there are people like me who find it virtually impossible to multi-parry or perfect parry at all, or to reliably react in time to the kanji symbol (while waiting for it). No matter how much we practise.

 

And then I’m also seeing talk of huge TV/monitor input lag variance, and Xbox pad trigger/bumper travel vs DS4, and dodgy console framerates vs rock-solid PC fpses etc.

 

If I could go through it again I’d go PS4 Pro all the way. The Xbox bumper button travel probably don’t add much to it (if anything) but my fingers are prone to slipping them and they feel a little sluggish.

 

I think the TV lag made a huge difference to me.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, robdood said:

3. Yes.  Though the more resurrects the more Rot you infect the world with.  You do have the pocket idol you can use to warp, remember!

 

Don't think this is right, it's not the resurrects that inflict the rot it's a true death after resurrect. So die / resurrect /run back to idol is cool, but die twice and the rot will start to spread. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

 

Don't think this is right, it's not the resurrects that inflict the rot it's a true death after resurrect. So die / resurrect /run back to idol is cool, but die twice and the rot will start to spread. 

Sorry, yes, that's what I meant, but is an important clarification!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

 

Don't think this is right, it's not the resurrects that inflict the rot it's a true death after resurrect. So die / resurrect /run back to idol is cool, but die twice and the rot will start to spread. 

Yeah I was researching this this morning. Seems to be a lot of confusion. Seems like resurrection is a way to avoid death/dragonrot rather than spread it. Otherwise why would you use it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

Right. Thanks for the tips for the BB. 

 

I'm currently just after BB and JtD. 

 

I don't think I've found any merchants. Can I please have some gentle hints where I should be looking?

@Karzee said it already, but since I'm pimping my content:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, charley farley said:

For anyone struggling with the Mikiri Counter I find it vastly easier to pull off if I'm guarding when I hit circle (and no direction on the thumbstick). I can't see anything saying this should be the case, but I can do it very reliably with guard up and less than 50% of the time with guard down.

 

I didn't even know you could Mikiri with guard up. Then again I didn't know you could Mikiri at all for quite some time, I somehow forgot the early bit about skills and had this notion from watching prerelease stuff that there was no levelling in Sekiro - long of the short of it I had 10 skill points to spend when I finally realised my mistake. That was after throwing myself against the first pole wielding mini-boss over and over again, it was enormously satisfying when I got round to Mikiri'ing his arse. This was a few days ago, made a bunch of progress since and have to say I'm absolutely loving this.

 

 

9 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

Don't think this is right, it's not the resurrects that inflict the rot it's a true death after resurrect. So die / resurrect /run back to idol is cool, but die twice and the rot will start to spread. 

 

That's my understanding too, hope that's the case as it's what I always try to do and it makes sense from a mechanics point of view - nice bit of risk/reward, use your final life to get back to an idol or try push through and risk death.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Pob said:

Yeah I was researching this this morning. Seems to be a lot of confusion. Seems like resurrection is a way to avoid death/dragonrot rather than spread it. Otherwise why would you use it?

I haven't done any research as I'm trying to experience it fresh and blind.  All I know is, when I am trying bosses repeatedly, I don't use resurrect, and rot never increses.  However, if I'm exploring normally and I die after resurrecting, that's when rot notifications seem to appear. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.