Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Uzi

10 hours ago, Stanley said:

This really is worth watching everyone, some great tips, like why would you buy coin purses? Because you don't lose them when you die. You're basically banking your gold.

So many brilliant tips.

Indeed some amazing insight there but Christ does that guy’s voice/delivery unsettle me

Stolen from gamefaqs but this is quite a good description of how the combat works...

1. Gain Advantage! state by attacking the enemies guard. 

2. If you are parried you are in Disadvantage!? stop attacking and focus on reading your opponents next move. 

3. Neutral state... occurs if you do a safe defensive option to your opponents next move. (i.e just block instead of parry, jump away instead of on top of your opponents head during a sweep, side step away instead of counter for thrust. 

4. Parry to gain Advantage!, and go back to step one. 

If you follow these steps you'll spend less time looking at health bars and more time playing, follow these steps correctly and most things will die without getting any damage off on you.

32 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Bloody hell, any advice on beating AE in the castle? I'm getting destroyed.

You don't have to fight him, there's another way around!

But.  He is so satisfying to beat. 

Spoiler

Go in with the intent of not hitting him at all.  He's very attack-happy.  Watch for the glint, parry (double tap).  He should do this a bunch of times in succession, and you'll break his posture no worries.  

31 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Assuming you are at the dojo shrine

Parry all his attacks, his posture will deplete super quick, the way I did it was to rapidly tap L1 as his attacks are that fast the deflections come easily

Rinse and repeat

Genichiro is a fucking bastard, btw.  

Spoiler

Got the first phase down, pretty much, I can do it with minimal healing most of the time.  But FUCK ME man, those electrical attacks are disgusting. I'm jumping a lot because of something I vaguely remember reading on a loading screen once! :lol:

1 minute ago, robdood said:

Genichiro is a fucking bastard, btw.  

Hide contents

Got the first phase down, pretty much, I can do it with minimal healing most of the time.  But FUCK ME man, those electrical attacks are disgusting. I'm jumping a lot because of something I vaguely remember reading on a loading screen once! :lol:

Repel the ligthning back at him, R1 in mid air when he does the attack

Just now, MikeF said:

Hide contents

Repel the ligthning back at him, R1 in mid air when he does the attack

Interesting, I vaguely remember reading that on a skill I unlocked or something too..  So do you basically mean:

Spoiler

Rather than panic dodging/jumping away when I see lightning, I need to jump neutral, let him attack and then R1?  Is it like parry timing or am I 'safe' because lightning doesn't hurt you in the air?

Just now, robdood said:

Interesting, I vaguely remember reading that on a skill I unlocked or something too..  So do you basically mean:

Hide contents

Rather than panic dodging/jumping away when I see lightning, I need to jump neutral, let him attack and then R1?  Is it like parry timing or am I 'safe' because lightning doesn't hurt you in the air?

Its the mid air lightening revesal, the text is in the AE Dojo on the wall IIRC

You basically jump and hit R1 in the air when he is doing the lightening attack, if done right it will send it back to him

44 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The Umbrella prosthetic destroys him apparently, I didn't have it when I fought him and just muddled through, good fight tho. I've seen a few vids of people parrying him like suggested above and they beat him in no time.

Also, the best pro tip I've discovered that isn't explicitly stated in the game: 

Standing still and guarding recovers your posture very quickly.  

Very, very useful.  If it doesn't seem to work when you try it, it's because your health is too low. 

5 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

Noticed that yesterday. It recovers so much quicker if you hold L1.

Common sense would tell you that letting go of L1 would make it recover faster !

Wouldn't be surprised if they did it just to fuck with people used to lowering shield to recover stamina in Souls.

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Acronymns for bosses (and areas) confuse the hell out of me.

I've been to the top of the Castle and have no idea who this is referring to..

2 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Acronymns for bosses (and areas) confuse the hell out of me.

I've been to the top of the Castle and have no idea who this is referring to..

Ashina Elite.  I also think some of the acronyms are a bit unnecessary. 

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

I was having a complete nightmare defeating him until I gave the upgraded spear a try. Then it became one of the easiest fights in the game.

4 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

I was having a complete nightmare defeating him until I gave the upgraded spear a try. Then it became one of the easiest fights in the game.

I didn't use spear on him, but it definitely helped me off LSL, the multi-hit dash move is ace!

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Where’s @Mr. Gerbik anyway? He was absolutely gagging for this game, but I don’t think I’ve seen him post about it since release.

Come on @Mr. Gerbik, what do you think of it?

He’s going to say he hates, isn’t he?

Huh? I've posted a bunch since release day - but I haven't been able to play since Sunday due to real life stuff. Hence me avoiding the thread for fear of spoilers until I can progress a bit more :)

33 minutes ago, Majora said:

Wouldn't be surprised if they did it just to fuck with people used to lowering shield to recover stamina in Souls.

Hehe, but it also makes sense in the world of posture, stand still and strong to regain it!  I bloody love this game so much.  

4 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Huh? I've posted a bunch since release day - but I haven't been able to play since Sunday due to real life stuff. Hence me avoiding the thread for fear of spoilers until I can progress a bit more :)

Hey I just want to say, something I love about this game is: more than Tenchu, it reminds me of Shinobido, which was my favourite ninja game until Seki came along. 

2 hours ago, Melon_Bread said:

The Umbrella prosthetic destroys him apparently, I didn't have it when I fought him and just muddled through, good fight tho. I've seen a few vids of people parrying him like suggested above and they beat him in no time.

Thanks, I got the parry down and literally beat him in under a min.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Apologies, I must have missed it! The thread is moving pretty fast.

I take it you’re enjoying it then or are you still too early to give it the Gerbik Seal of Approval?