Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Uzi

26 minutes ago, robdood said:

Hey I just want to say, something I love about this game is: more than Tenchu, it reminds me of Shinobido, which was my favourite ninja game until Seki came along. 

I was thinking the same thing, but I wonder if we have the same reasons: for me it's the movement. The smooth acrobatics and 100mph stealth (if you do it right against fodder enemies) made me mention Tenchu Z in regards to this game (can't recall whether I did that on 'muk or IRL) but shortly afterwards I did think to myself that Shinobidō was a more apt comparison.

Anyways, even though it's more a Souls game than anything, just yesterday I described Sekiro to someone as Souls X Tenchu X Shinobidō X Ninja Gaiden (the last one because of the hardcore and rapid combat). It's very much its own thing when you have to name that many diverse titles in an attempt to describe it.

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

Apologies, I must have missed it! The thread is moving pretty fast.

I take it you’re enjoying it then or are you still too early to give it the Gerbik Seal of Approval?

I fucking love it so far, but I'm way too early in the game to write one of my trademark Dutchlish long, rambling posts about why I love it so much. I did do a short one about my early impressions, seems like you missed it :)

So far it's everything I hoped for

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

People talking about LSL, do you mean LSS? 

Hide contents

Lone Shadow Swordsman

Also, people are talking about an upgraded spear. Sounds like a prosthetic I've missed. Help please. 

No, I'm talking about LSL, the last L is for Longswordman. 

As for the spear, you'll kick yourself, I certainly did as it was the last one I found and I found it by complete accident!

Spoiler

You remember picking up a key at some point that says it's for use in the Ashina Reservoir?  There's a small house you crawl under during the opening of the game, it's in there!

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

People talking about LSL, do you mean LSS? 

Reveal hidden contents

Lone Shadow Swordsman

Also, people are talking about an upgraded spear. Sounds like a prosthetic I've missed. Help please. 

LSL is the guy in the well where you start the game. Dunno who LSS is.

Dont think there is an upgraded spear. I think they mean the upgrade you can get at the sculptor.

I did a load of exploring last night, and got another health bar upgrade and some gourd seeds. Can now heal 7 times with it! That'll make things a lot easier.

Also did some more stuff for the shop bloke, and now he's selling unlimited gunpowder and scrap iron. Nice!

1 hour ago, robdood said:

Ashina Elite.  I also think some of the acronyms are a bit unnecessary. 

Aah right, that's not even their name then, which is why I was lost. That's the frantic one I called June. 

I agree re acronyms as, bar the odd one that hints at story development, I don't think they give too much away whether it be bosses or areas. I mean if I were to type out the full name of LACS I don't think that would compromise the game for anyone but if I were to see it mention in some random post I'd struggle to recognise it. I won't be typing out names in full anytime soon though as I do understand the protocol, however baffling it may be.

I'm finding it much harder to remember/decode names of bosses because they're often so very Japanese. In fact the only one I can remember off the top of my head is Yamauchi, for obvious Nintendo reasons. Maybe instead of initialisms, we can use abbreviated proper nouns for bosses without identifying what kind of bosses they are, like ... if the boss is called Susan the Gigantic Fucking Mongoose, we can just call it Susan?

... aaand Im back.

Re-installed the game late last night after thinking about the game all day, and reading about @Strafes tour de force through Hirata Estate. And I changed triggers/bumpers back to their default layout, which made a huge difference in the timing of the deflects. I dont know how I made it that far with deflect on the triggers (elite pad with hairtriggers up). Still the bumpers on the xbox one pad arent very good, I havent used them in a long time so that was awkward. The Dualshock is probably a much nicer pad to play this game with.

Anyway, LB and BB down. Poor BB was a walkover after the Lady, with AP at 3 and the firecrackers made the fight a trivial nuisance.

Some thoughts on LB:

Spoiler

So I really struggled with LB, and spent a couple of days hitting a brick wall in terms of progress but I think in the end it was basically because I was being more aggressive than I had to, and got into more trouble than I needed to in the second phase. Some guides on the net say you have to be aggressive in this fight - yes, but only to the degree of being able to mess up her posture. I took too much damage trying to get her health down when I should have stopped focussing on attacking so much and just made sure to deflect perfectly and otherwise survive through her special attacks and illusions. I found 75-80 % of her health bar remaining to be a sweet spot for starting to mostly deflect (still a few attacks here and there especially since one of the latent talents I cant remember the name (Ashina style) gives extra posture damage from attacking) and survive. That meant I went from trying to finish the fight before the second round of illusions, to actually killing her right after the end of the third snap. So it took a fair bit longer, but the focus on deflecting rather than attacking at that stage, plus guarding and reacting to her other stuff (the perilous sweep), really messed up her posture to the degree that when we picked up the combat after the third wave it shot up to the high reds almost immediately after a couple of deflects and attacks.

I dont know if any of that is help @skittles?

59 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Aah right, that's not even their name then, which is why I was lost. That's the frantic one I called June. 

I agree re acronyms as, bar the odd one that hints at story development, I don't think they give too much away whether it be bosses or areas. I mean if I were to type out the full name of LACS I don't think that would compromise the game for anyone but if I were to see it mention in some random post I'd struggle to recognise it. I won't be typing out names in full anytime soon though as I do understand the protocol, however baffling it may be.

As @ann coulter said above, I find it so difficult to remember actual names because they're so Japanese. 

The acronyms is a bit daft, really.  I mean I think we started doing it to avoid spoiling recurring bosses/character from Dark Souls 2 onwards, and like many seem to agree, it's only really worth doing if the name itself gives something away about the boss in question.  Like the LACG I wouldn't want to spoil the name of because it's equally hilarious/terrifying, and I'd like that to be a surprise for those who have not encountered it yet!

I bet some of the Japanese names for the generals and stuff have epic literal translations, I wish we could use those.  General RUNNINGWATER or whatever is a lot easier to remember!

Is everyone playing with Japanese VO? I am but I watched a video of the horseman boss and the English VO was pretty cool too.

Also, this game is massive isn't it, really sprawling once you get going. I think the added verticality adds to that sense of size, it feels a bit like Breath of The Wild in that it's a proper 3D explorable space, it doesn't have the freedom of that game but the level design is still very, very open.

On 25/03/2019 at 13:02, df0 said:

Buy sen in bags at vendors. More expensive but you do not lose the sen you carry in bags in your inventory.

I was thinking to myself why the hell you would want to buy coins with coins. But now it actually makes sense! :doh:

51 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Is everyone playing with Japanese VO? I am but I watched a video of the horseman boss and the English VO was pretty cool too.

Also, this game is massive isn't it, really sprawling once you get going. I think the added verticality adds to that sense of size, it feels a bit like Breath of The Wild in that it's a proper 3D explorable space, it doesn't have the freedom of that game but the level design is still very, very open.

I loved the Horseman shouting when he burst through the door - "MY NAME IS....GYOBU MASALUKA ONIWA"

This game is so, so good. I am still early on, will take me a long time to finish if I ever do, but I adore it so much. I always liked Nioh's combat the most out of all the soulsborne type games, but this has supplanted that (even though it kind of is a different style of game to the point it's arguably a new sub-genre). 

The first proper boss (Gyoubo?) was surprisingly easy. I know that has given me false confidence 

Has anyone tried playing a souls game after getting used to Sekiro? I bet it feels suuuuuper fucking slow. The speed of Sekiro is definitely the first thing that you notice as a contrast to Soulsborne. Running and grappling around is so fast and fluid and satisfying. I bet if you tried to play Dark Souls now it would feel absolutely glacial.

59 minutes ago, Thor said:

I've been playing for ages, got really far, and this is still locked for me:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.8eff22accfe097faa78cc83af5f03227.png

Have I, yet again, missed something fucking obvious?

Anyone?

Also, LACS is just as easy as LACG. :)

Heh, I wasn't planning on firing this back up until Friday at least because I have so little time this week. And with Souls likes, I don't like to 'have a quick go' like I would with other (one could say 'lesser' :P ) games. I have to settle in and really get into it especially when I'm still at the learning-the-hard-way phase. But I was triggered by @JPL paging me to the thread, suddenly I really really wanted to go back to Sekiro.

With less than an hour to spare and being terribly stuck on LB and BB last time I played, I didn't expect to get anywhere - but I DESTROYED BB in a few goes :lol: That's so Souls, step away for awhile and then all of a sudden it's doable when you get back.

The area after BB is amaze, love all the potential routes it seemed like I could take and the potential to explore. Oh my, what a game :wub: