Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Uzi

Speaking of AE, I just beat him doing

what you said, only using a combination of Whirlwind Slash and normal attacks.

Dunno why, but there looked like there was a way to stealth him, but it triggered the fight anyway. Bit odd. Might be that you can just skip him I suppose, though why you'd do that is beyond me.

About Rot Essence, I haven't had any in ages, usually if I have revived I've then got death blows and reset it. Just now trying to escape certain death I jumped off a broken bridge in hope of a grapple and died and then I got 4 rot essences added to my inventory! So I'm really not sure if you can avoid it, might have to go and get it healed. Also up to 8 heals now :)

And post dungeon

Man how beautiful is the buddhist temple?! That's where I died after making it all the way inside and there's two huge scary dudes with cleaver spears who I tried to escape from :(

@robdood Based on the gear and gourd recharges you’re sporting in those earlier Genichiro videos, I think I got to him too early. I just made a beeline from beating BB

Spoiler

up over the rooftops, beat loads of those kite dudes, into the upper floors, killed some blue swordsmen, and into the cut-scene. So, I don’t have that spear, or those double blades, and I have only 4 gourd charges.

Genichiro just beat the shit out of me. I guess it might help if I backtrack elsewhere around the Ashina Castle for a while?

So far the bosses in this are shit. Poorly designed fights with basic functionality not working. It would be really neat if the lock-on mechanic during LB did not you know... stopped working. When I eventually beat her there'll be no eureka moment, there is nothing to be proud of or excited about. Good job game, your failing mechanic did not fuck me over this time. Thanks game, those homing thingies did not for whatever reason stun lock me this time.

Love the exploration, strongly dislike the bosses. If I were on PC I'd cheat my way through em,.

11 minutes ago, df0 said:

So far the bosses in this are shit. Poorly designed fights with basic functionality not working. It would be really neat if the lock-on mechanic during LB did not you know... stopped working. When I eventually beat her there'll be no eureka moment, there is nothing to be proud of or excited about. Good job game, your failing mechanic did not fuck me over this time. Thanks game, those homing thingies did not for whatever reason stun lock me this time.

Love the exploration, strongly dislike the bosses. If I were on PC I'd cheat my way through em,.

If this is LB then

the homing things arent homing, and can be outrunned, just run around the outside at full pelt when she snaps her fingers to make the spirits turn into them. Also your best tool for this fight, is the shuriken prosthetic. It may seem pointless, but it works wonders when she's in the air, even knocking her out of her power attack (the one with the symbol) she does in the air.

Also, dont try parrying her all the time, or spam attack her. Its best to dodge then hit her, either with a normal attack or the Whirlwind Slash (the latter can hit her twice before she can block or parry most times.

The biggest issue with this fight is the camera, however. It can lose its lock on due to the boss jumping around like crazy, or it (and also you as a result) can get stuck on the pillars, allowing the boss an easy target. Try to position a pillar between you and the boss when you need a breather though, as it will not allow her to hit you in most situations.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Heh, I wasn't planning on firing this back up until Friday at least because I have so little time this week. And with Souls likes, I don't like to 'have a quick go' like I would with other (one could say 'lesser' :P ) games. I have to settle in and really get into it especially when I'm still at the learning-the-hard-way phase. But I was triggered by @JPL paging me to the thread, suddenly I really really wanted to go back to Sekiro.

With less than an hour to spare and being terribly stuck on LB and BB last time I played, I didn't expect to get anywhere - but I DESTROYED BB in a few goes :lol: That's so Souls, step away for awhile and then all of a sudden it's doable when you get back.

The area after BB is amaze, love all the potential routes it seemed like I could take and the potential to explore. Oh my, what a game :wub:

I don’t know how you’ve managed to keep away from it! I’m constantly thinking about it and deciding strategies in my mind, that I can’t wait to get back to it to try them out.

The last game that hooked me like this was Dark Souls 3.

Genichiro fell tonight!  Wasn't too bad, maybe about 5 or 6 tries. Plenty of previous tries over last couple of days too though!  He's probably my favourite boss so far.   There's something about the combat in this game that, especially against bosses, I find way more rewarding to learn than any of the previous games bosses.  Closest would be Artorias.   But even the 'mini boss' generals are more fun to fight than Artorias.   It's sublime.  

I totally got the hang of Genichiro phase 1 tonight, here's my best one.  No damage!  :D

Spoiler

And here was my successful phase 2, felt badass.  Despite taking loads of damage :D:D 

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, robdood said:

Genichiro fell tonight!  Wasn't too bad, maybe about 5 or 6 tries. Plenty of previous tries over last couple of days too though!  He's probably my favourite boss so far.   There's something about the combat in this game that, especially against bosses, I find way more rewarding to learn than any of the previous games bosses.  Closest would be Artorias.   But even the 'mini boss' generals are more fun to fight than Artorias.   It's sublime.  

I totally got the hang of Genichiro phase 1 tonight, here's my best one.  No damage!  :D

Reveal hidden contents

And here was my successful phase 2, felt badass.  Despite taking loads of damage :D:D 

Reveal hidden contents

Well done, enjoyed watching :hat:

He's my current roadblock at the moment. I think I've explored everywhere that I can and need an item to progress that you only get when defeating him (had to Google to make sure)

did you...

Spoiler

open the door just past The Headless? :)

1 minute ago, Hawklord said:

Well done, enjoyed watching :hat:

did you...

Reveal hidden contents

open the door just past The Headless? :)

Thanks!!  And yes!  

Tell you what though, I don't think I noticed getting any item in particular after beating him.. must return and talk to NPCs!!

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

@robdood Based on the gear and gourd recharges you’re sporting in those earlier Genichiro videos, I think I got to him too early. I just made a beeline from beating BB

Hide contents

up over the rooftops, beat loads of those kite dudes, into the upper floors, killed some blue swordsmen, and into the cut-scene. So, I don’t have that spear, or those double blades, and I have only 4 gourd charges.

Genichiro just beat the shit out of me. I guess it might help if I backtrack elsewhere around the Ashina Castle for a while?

To be fair dude that's exactly what I did/thought so I went exploring.  For about 10-15 hours(!). 

It's mad to think my savegame is approx 30hours and I've only beaten 3 proper bosses.  WTF THIS GAME IS GOING TO BE MASSIVE. 

2 hours ago, df0 said:

Ack sorry you're not having a good time with some parts, sounds frustrating!  

The lock on disengaging hasn't really bothered me.  TBH it feels about the same as it ever has, perhaps I'm so attuned to knowing when it will 'break' that I'm already expecting it and can deal with it like any other part of the combat. 

As said above, although those butterflies can stunlock, you can always avoid them. 

I found the Lady a good fight, I learned her moves quite well and enjoyed scraping through.  I wish the game had a 'sandbox' mode where I could choose an arena and any enemies I choose.  Just so I could fight the bosses again. 

Learning to best Genichiro tonight felt amazing.  I almost felt like a VS fighting game at times.  Using my attacks to force the enemy into set patterns is definitely the way to play.  

I'm not as far in as most of you (work and other stuff getting in the way), but I agree with dood. Love the (mini) bosses so far, some of them remind me of Ninja Gaiden a bit and LB especially evokes that old school kung fu movie vibe. Her moveset is so fluid and yet readable enough to block, parry, counter. Sure, like with NG I sometimes lose lock-on which is par for the course with fast-paced action games (or even Soulsborne), but I can't say I found any of the bosses annoying so far, with the possible exception of the

Spoiler

bull

And yes, this game is utter bliss with 60 fps. It's so damn smooth. As much as I adore BB, it'll be hard to adjust to that after experiencing Sekiro this way.

The mini boss dude you meet in the well 

Spoiler

Where you started the game

I’m sure when I first landed behind him it gave me the option to ‘talk’ but I pressed attack in fear. Obviously he battered me right after and when I went back I didn’t get the same option.

36 minutes ago, Strafe said:

The mini boss dude you meet in the well 

Hide contents

Where you started the game

I’m sure when I first landed behind him it gave me the option to ‘talk’ but I pressed attack in fear. Obviously he battered me right after and when I went back I didn’t get the same option.

Yeah I did exactly the same!  Gutted to have missed the dialogue.  :(

I feel exactly the same. Just took down the big drunken guy (fuck initials... no one can remember the names, let alone the initials) and then proceeded to madam butterfly . Done surprisingly well, nearly took her down ( I understand she has a second form) but she bested me at the last minute. Definitely doable though .

This definitely has the quality of soulsborne game. Think I may have already said it, but I think I prefer this. The speed is what really sets it apart. It’s so fast and brutal and I’m loving every minute.

21 minutes ago, robdood said:

Ah man, I have to stop for the night.  So many new paths.  This fucking game.  :wub:

Me too, had to force myself to turn it off. Just opened a new martial arts tree, it just keeps on giving.

I love the way the story unfolds too and all the lore, like in other From games of course but in Sekiro it feels a bit less opaque. It feels really epic.

I love how as you traverse levels you can see bits you've been to already, I think someone said it was influenced by Ico. Again it's in their other games but it feels really scaled up here.

Also the art direction, colour and lighting is beautiful at times, so colourful. 

So yeah it's not bad ^_^

Also there's weird fucking creepy mysterious shit going on in this game.

Oh and a good tip, if like me you kept jumping up and down frustratingly attempting to grab onto ledges, just hold down the X (or square on PS I guess) instead of tapping it and you'll grab on every time.