Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Uzi

CLIPPITY-CLOP IS DOWN! An excellent fight. It took at least fifteen attempts but I really enjoyed them (bar one when I took a swig of health a fraction of a second before he decided to charge me, killing me. I fought hard NOT to throw the controller at the wall). Another death cane about after i'd stabbed the bugger twice and put my controller down in relief that the fight was over when I suddenly saw that I needed to quickly stab him again  before he revived. I didn't make it in time. He''s an imposing figure in all his Samurai armour and I like the way he circled your corpse as if just daring you to revive.

Moved up to the castle and met BS

Spoiler

BS = BULL! SHIT!  which describes my reaction on first seeing the bull and then realising a fog wall had appeared behind me blocking my escape.

Easiest fight so far. The first attempt was just surprise, running around, then death. The second fight I found him easy to avoid and used firecrackers to allow me to get in and slash away. Down it went.

Now exploring the castle grounds and found I think three new paths. I'll go back to LB first and have another attempt at besting her before progressing the castle area.

7 hours ago, Strafe said:

The mini boss dude you meet in the well 

Reveal hidden contents

Where you started the game

I’m sure when I first landed behind him it gave me the option to ‘talk’ but I pressed attack in fear. Obviously he battered me right after and when I went back I didn’t get the same option.

7 hours ago, robdood said:

Yeah I did exactly the same!  Gutted to have missed the dialogue.  :(

6 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Is it possible to trigger it again? Does anyone know what gets said?

Don't know if it's possible to trigger the dialogue again once he's aggro'd to you but I saw him last night and spoke to him first (only because I missed the plunging attack :facepalm:)

He says

Spoiler

that he heard there's a broken willed shinobi down here but there's no one here like that now. As you try to leave a fog gate appears and he says wait, it's you and attacks you.

So you didn't miss much.

Three things I loved from my session last night:

I finally defeated the bane of my life, Lady Butterfly. That feeling when you best a boss that's been wrecking you for ages; so good.

I found an area accessible from Ashina Reservoir,

Spoiler

Abandoned Dungeon,

got destroyed immediately by the first enemy, and decided actually I'll come back later. It scares me and I know I'll have to go back at some point :unsure:

The enemies on the roof of Ashina Castle that 

Spoiler

come swooping down from above, screaming all the way.

Made me laugh and go "what the fuck ?!"

1 hour ago, Goemon said:

Anyone done any NPC questlines?

I had one where I had an option of where to send a character and I’m wondering what would have happened if I’d sent him to the other place...

The NPC was

Reveal hidden contents

the monk

Spoiler

I chose to send him back to Ashina Castle and he turned up later on on death's door and said basically thanks m8 your fault and gave me nowt so I assume I picked wrong!

On 26/03/2019 at 08:58, Gizamaluke said:

I'm stuck just after that so I hope you can figure it out and point me in the right direction!

Did you figure this out btw?  All you need to do is talk to the friendly NPCs.   Turns out my next objective is to go to all the places I've found with dead ends!! Ha. 

33 minutes ago, VN1X said:

So is this Backwave Simulator 2019 like I'm led to believe by going on the interwebs?

If so can we change the thread title to something less depressing? :P

What the fuck is a backwave simulator?

14 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

Reveal hidden contents

I chose to send him back to Ashina Castle and he turned up later on on death's door and said basically thanks m8 your fault and gave me nowt so I assume I picked wrong!

Ah when you say

The castle, do you mean you sent him the the dungeon?

Thats one of the options.

This is a setup as I understood it, did you go back to the guy that requested him? He’s in the dungeon, I wondered what he would give you...?

FYI if you speak to the merchant in the outskirts, he asks for help. If you send the Monk there he gets loads more stuff in his shop.

42 minutes ago, VN1X said:

So is this Backwave Simulator 2019 like I'm led to believe by going on the interwebs?

If so can we change the thread title to something less depressing? :P

No, it's the game Nioh wishes it could be.

Eurogamer review is up. Essential.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-03-27-sekiro-shadows-die-twice-review-a-stripped-and-scarred-masterpiece

"I see you're no stranger to cruelty," observes a character later on in From Software's predictably astonishing Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Hearing that, I couldn't help but reflect on how many games are strangers to their own cruelty, wilfully blind to it - exhorting you to kill and pillage while insistently styling you a do-gooder. Consider The Division, a game about massacring the dispossessed for guns and T-shirts which hails you throughout as a hero, decorously concealing the faces of your victims beneath gasmasks and goggles. Set in Sengoku period Japan, a realm of blood and fire where no field is without its crop of dropped swords, Shadows Die Twice admits no such disunity of theme. It embraces the fact that you are a malevolent presence, if not beyond redemption, and, like its spiritual forebears, Dark Souls and Bloodborne, plays this out at every level of what is probably the year's finest game.

Yesterday I saw some poor fuck on twitch dance around two apes for about 2 hours. Doing about half a centimetre of damage before going back into circle strafe mode for another 5 minutes. Essential.

Ya know I'm just being facetious but I just found it funny and absurd.

4 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Yesterday I saw some poor fuck on twitch dance around two apes for about 2 hours. Doing about half a centimetre of damage before going back into circle strafe mode for another 5 minutes. Essential.

Sounds like he was playing it wrong m8. 

An interesting way to counter a review though. 

Criticising it for for relying on circle strafe, if that's what 'backwave' means , is way off the mark. That just doesn't work in Sekiro. I've met one (mini) boss where you can kind of employ that tactic, in a clear homage to Souls, but even there you need to parry and block too.

7 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Er yeah, that’s completely the wrong way to play it. If you spend all the battle backing off, you won’t get anywhere. You have to get stuck in and attack, dodge, jump and parry. The combat is sublime.

10 hours ago, Strafe said:

The mini boss dude you meet in the well 

Reveal hidden contents

Where you started the game

I’m sure when I first landed behind him it gave me the option to ‘talk’ but I pressed attack in fear. Obviously he battered me right after and when I went back I didn’t get the same option.

Here’s what he says:

Paraphrasing. “I am looking for a skilled warrior. Is that you? It must be you.