Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Uzi

There's something this game does with the pacing that's very clever. Every time you overcome a difficult challenge they time the next one just perfectly to fuck with you, right as you were starting to relax. I don't know how they do it.

I didn't make much progress last night. Spent an hour bouncing off LB learning her moves and its proving to be a tough fight for me. 

Read on here a few pages back a tip about exploring the waterways throughly, I discovered a section  of the map I would never have found. Had a really good fight several times with a purple guy. Found an interesting new power.

Oh and after a whole week of playing this I've just found out I can deflect arrows and bullets.

14 minutes ago, Karzee said:

Oh and after a whole week of playing this I've just found out I can deflect arrows and bullets.

Good tip!

I didn’t realise there was a second upgrade tree. I didn’t know there was a map. It took me up until JtD to realise there was a sprint button. And now this.

I’m such a noob! :facepalm:

16 minutes ago, Fargo said:

It’s been a hectic week in work so I haven’t had the time to play this. Looking forward to a serious session or two over the weekend. 

Same here, only managed an hour last night, really miss it.

15 minutes ago, JPL said:

If you’ve got a load of sen and you know there’s a boss coming up, do you have to warp back to near a merchant and buy a load of purses? Seems a long winded way of doing things.

So far the merchants I've found don't even stock that many purses anyway. I've cleaned all of them out of small and large. Now I tend to buy the prosthetic ammo at the idol when I have cash that needs spending.

The only thing I’m not sure about in the game is the skill/sen system.

I feel like you regularly get yourself into scenarios where you need to grind out skill/sen. 

It’s like, I’m at 1.75 of levelling my skill points and the next upgrade is 3.

I get to a boss, which if I die, I lose half. So all I can do is grind out killing enemies to get to 3 or fight the boss and likely lose what I’ve amassed.

The only thing I’m thinking that can possibly counter this is the fact that they’re expecting you to play through the game multiple times. So it’s not as bigger deal to lose this as NG+ is going to let you have more opportunity to get these levels.

1 hour ago, Goemon said:

The only thing I’m not sure about in the game is the skill/sen system.

I feel like you regularly get yourself into scenarios where you need to grind out skill/sen. 

It’s like, I’m at 1.75 of levelling my skill points and the next upgrade is 3.

I get to a boss, which if I die, I lose half. So all I can do is grind out killing enemies to get to 3 or fight the boss and likely lose what I’ve amassed.

The only thing I’m thinking that can possibly counter this is the fact that they’re expecting you to play through the game multiple times. So it’s not as bigger deal to lose this as NG+ is going to let you have more opportunity to get these levels.

You don't lose any skill points you've gained when you die, but you do lose half the experience towards the next skill point. So if you're at 1.75, best to grind to 2 before tackling the boss.

Something the other night made me think there might be a hidden mechanic that boosts your chance of getting Unseen Aid. When dying repeatedly to LB there was a run of 4 deaths in a row where I got Unseen Aid. I had cured everyone of their dragonrot at that point, so the base chance of UA was 30%, meaning the chance of 4 in a row was 0.81%. Which is not beyond the realms of possibility, obviously, but it's low enough to make me think something might be going on.

Has anyone else had instances of multiple Unseen Aids in a row?

Or is this just one of those things where humans are bad at probabilities? I suppose given the number of people playing this and dying right now, 4 in a row must happen all the time. I've just convinced myself that that is the case, and there is no hidden mechanic.

Never mind, this post has been a waste of my time and yours. :lol:

49 minutes ago, dug said:

You don't lose any skill points you've gained when you die, but you do lose half the experience towards the next skill point. So if you're at 1.75, best to grind to 2 before tackling the boss.

Tbf I stopped looking at the skill bar progress long ago, it's a stress I don't need!!  Plus I like it when I eventually notice and I'm like OOO I HAVE 5 POINTS TO SPEND!

I do make sure to spend all my Sen on ammo though! 

13 minutes ago, dug said:

Something the other night made me think there might be a hidden mechanic that boosts your chance of getting Unseen Aid. When dying repeatedly to LB there was a run of 4 deaths in a row where I got Unseen Aid. I had cured everyone of their dragonrot at that point, so the base chance of UA was 30%, meaning the chance of 4 in a row was 0.81%. Which is not beyond the realms of possibility, obviously, but it's low enough to make me think something might be going on.

Has anyone else had instances of multiple Unseen Aids in a row?

Or is this just one of those things where humans are bad at probabilities? I suppose given the number of people playing this and dying right now, 4 in a row must happen all the time. I've just convinced myself that that is the case, and there is no hidden mechanic.

Never mind, this post has been a waste of my time and yours. :lol:

Where are you getting the 0.81% from? I’m probably wrong as my maths isn’t great, but doesn’t it reset reach time you get it, so every death is back to a 30% chance again? Unless you get dragonrot of course.

25 minutes ago, JPL said:

Where are you getting the 0.81% from? I’m probably wrong as my maths isn’t great, but doesn’t it reset reach time you get it, so every death is back to a 30% chance again? Unless you get dragonrot of course.

Yes, the chance of any individual death getting UA is 30%. So the chance of four deaths in a row all getting UA is 30% x 30% x 30% x 30%. Which is 0.81%. At least I think that's how it works, when calculating the probability of multiple events occurring, you multiply the probabilities together.

Although, thinking about it, I think that would only apply when considering those 4 deaths in particular and ignoring all others. So for example when considering a sequence of 10 consecutive deaths, the chances of there being 4 UAs in a row anywhere within that 10 would be... er, I don't know how to calculate that. 

Basically, I don't know what I'm talking about. :lol: Any help from mathematicians would be appreciated!

Or perhaps it's best to pretend this sideline never happened, and go back to talking about ninjas and shit.

7 minutes ago, dug said:

Yes, the chance of any individual death getting UA is 30%. So the chance of four deaths in a row all getting UA is 30% x 30% x 30% x 30%. Which is 0.81%. At least I think that's how it works, when calculating the probability of multiple events occurring, you multiply the probabilities together.

Although, thinking about it, I think that would only apply when considering those 4 deaths in particular and ignoring all others. So for example when considering a sequence of 10 consecutive deaths, the chances of there being 4 UAs in a row anywhere within that 10 would be... er, I don't know how to calculate that. 

Basically, I don't know what I'm talking about. :lol: Any help from mathematicians would be appreciated!

Or perhaps it's best to pretend this sideline never happened, and go back to talking about ninjas and shit.

So, that’s er... well...

Yeah NINJAS!

2 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

The Breath of Life skill is so essential.

Although I've found that now I have more skills and increased healing I do tend to just attack without care at times compared to how super strict I was to begin with, I think in that respect it does become easier, a bit.

42 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

I've had unseen aid kick in 5, maybe 6 times in a row. Enough times that I started to think it was a bug.

Now everyone is ill as fuck though :( Damned fearing enemies.

Now I don't know what to think!

Good lord. LCG is wrecking my shit more than any other boss yet. Sekiro makes the Souls series seem like Kirby games.

Edit: Never mind, figured out its weakness. Now easy.

Edit: Not easy. Prosthetic tools run out too fast, even when expanded. :(

I thought I was good. Thought I was a bit of a Souls head. Finished Demon's, DS1, DS2, DS3, BB. Thought I was pretty hip. Sekiro has kicked my arse to Japan and back. It has the From hook, it's fucking brilliant. But my God it's brutal. I don't care how long it takes, and I'm imagining a long long haul, I will finish it. It's stunning but gives no quarter to the smug level up through the game brigade, like me.

Ok, Long-arm CG is my first point of real frustration. This fight seems a little silly, honestly.

Spoiler

Ten consecutive rapid fire attacks and then a brief window to get one little hit in? Then another ten rapid fire attacks? By the tenth swipe, my posture is broken, meaning blocking isn't a strategy. His arms are so long dodging isn't really a strategy. I tried not locking on so I can sprint around him which works but then the camera is all over the place and I've no idea where he is (top down camera would actually work really well here). Firecrackers stun him every time but I can only get two hits in before he winds up his ten attacks again, and I run out of them before he's dead. The room being absolutely tiny doesn't help either. Has anyone actually done him yet?