rllmuk
Mr Ben

GTFO - cooperative survival game from the creators of Payday 2

From the guy who made Payday/Payday 2. Not much detail, but looks promising, and the guy in charge promised there would be puzzles and the like. Might be good, we'll see.

• Upvote 4

I just got an email saying this is nearing beta release and if you chuck your email at the "ambassador" section of their website there will be PC codes sent out for gameplay testing shortly.

The 4 player co-op Left4Dead meets Aliens vibe looks like it could be good!

Head to:  http://gtfothegame.com/  

Update: And within 10 minutes I got an email inviting me to the beta.  A quick trip to Discord for a key from their bot, and it's now downloading on Steam as I type!

Update 2: And Steam has given me 3 keys to send out to anyone else who wants in - shout if you need one

• Upvote 1

So this goes early access (or actual release, it's a bit unclear) tomorrow and is looking like it could be a lot of terrifying fun. I'm definitely up for some running around and screaming.

This was very much on my radar but as far as I’m aware there’s no matchmaking available. I’m not trawling the Discord for team mates every time I want a game. <_<

• Empathy 1

I installed and gave it a solo drop last night just to have a look. Dripping in atmosphere and I think could be excellent fun.

@Dave White Let's play!

3 hours ago, vezna said:

This was very much on my radar but as far as I’m aware there’s no matchmaking available. I’m not trawling the Discord for team mates every time I want a game. <_<

I think they've said or implied mm will come at some point so fingers crossed.

Bless the devs, they really came through for the Discord ambassadors. Had a mountain of fun last night. Can’t imagine playing this with randoms though.

I've had a bit of a go at this now, as enough of my friends have expressed interested that it's worth picking up at this point. Had a bit of a bumble around Rundown 2 with one of them, but of course we got absolutely nowhere because this game is really hard - I can sort of see what the development team meant when they said that playing with pugs would just be an exercise in frustration - but I do think that they need to get some sort of automatching in there at some point.

From an atmosphere perspective, the game is absolutely superb - the slow pace and creepy nature actually made me think first of Duskers, and while that's a totally different sort of game in terms of both how it plays and how it looks, it evokes the same feeling of isolation and the sense that deadly, incomprehensible danger is lurking around every corner. Of course, once you actually meet the danger it's a bit less impressive because the threats are (so far at least) exclusively humanoid. I feel that they could have gone a little further in making stuff a little more alien and strange. I mean, you can even get pretty unnerving with humanoid designs, like the Dead Space Necromorphs, but here the threat of the sleepers lurking ahead massively outstrips the discomfort they cause by their actual appearance.

But that's a complaint I have about a lot of stuff really and not unique to this. I used to play tabletop wargame Warmachine years ago, and was always frustrated that the Cryx faction built their death robots in the same anthropomorphic way as every other faction. Always a torso, always two arms, mostly two legs - you got the one off Cankerworm which was more like a, well... worm, but that was just a one off. It was especially annoying as the fluff always spoke about the Cryx techs as no longer having a human mindset and all being bonkers mad. I dunno.

I've read a lot of impressions about GTFOs gunplay being a bit janky, but I don't think that it's particularly awful. Whether that's improved recently or whether people were just disappointed that you weren't getting the snappiness of COD I don't know, but it feels as though it definitely feels appropriate for what this game is trying to do - it's absolutely not supposed to be played as a run and gun shooter. Firefights are I think supposed to be a little more panicky, reminiscent of the Aliens scene where the marines get properly torn a new one by the Xenomorphs - the lack of lighting and fog seem to speak to that. As mentioned, it's just a shame they didn't go more out on a limb in terms of creature designs. 

All in all, the game feels a little rough around the edges, but the design intentions by the developers are very clear and actually very good. I guess the (potentially folorn) hope is that they keep developing the game in the future and turn it into something excellent. Their Road Map feels a little "fuzzy", with lots of "do more with this concept" stuff rather than actual ideas I can look forward to - but I do love a lot of the concepts they've put it, like the terminals where you have to actually type in stuff you need in a very MS-DOS fashion (ping looks identical!).

I think if you paid £30 for this, it might feel a little bit underdeveloped for the price, but for the £23 I paid for it, I reckon I'm going to get a lot of fun out of it. I'd definitely caution that if you're not the kind of person who enjoys "you fucked up, back to the beginning you go" gameplay, this absolutely wouldn't be for you.

• Upvote 1

I never got round to trying this apart from a few solo forays to get a feel for it due to the lack of match making and not jumping on with randoms via discord. 

That all sounds great though and still really want to give it a proper whirl. 

Nope, you'll just get mangled. I'm up for trying with anyone who wants a go though!

30 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Is it possible to solo this game?

No hope at all. It's balanced to be difficult with 4 players and there's no scaling or difficulty selection.

29 minutes ago, Len said:

Nope, you'll just get mangled. I'm up for trying with anyone who wants a go though!

We could try and get a forum run together at some point. Not right now though, people I know have bought it to play together and I want to give that a chance to collapse first.

• Upvote 1

I'd be up for that. Just give me a shout as and when if in the offing. 

Well, here I am posting again in a thread where almost nobody cares! Len does, though, which makes it all worth it.

I managed to get a 4 man group together today, and the game progress felt a lot smoother and I've managed to form a bit more of an opinion on it - an opinion that might be undermined by the fact that this game is actually quite janky, and the difficulty curve is steep. Not steep in the way that Dark Souls is steep, more in the way that right now, from where I'm sitting at my current level of experience, it feels a bit random.

The structure of the game seems to be quite formulaic - you need to do a thing (examples are "get the boxes and bring them back" or just to travel from point A - B), and invariably at some point you'll be blocked by a locked door, which you need to go out of your way to get a key for. At certain stages along the way you'll come across a door that causes a swarm to happen, and there's nothing you can do to avoid it. These fights are incredibly resource draining and you need to be pretty well stocked with Ammo to make it all the way through without your primary weapon going dry.

This more or less enforces Stealth play around the rest of it in order to conserve resources, which is absolutely fine, that's what it says on the tin - but every time you screw up a stealth bit, you burn more ammo, and I have a nagging feeling that it's possible to fuck yourself 20 minutes in the future. Which, on the surface sounds incredibly hot, but when its me doing it the results are predictably disappointing. This is further compounded by the fact that resource drops and locations are essentially random and predetermined before you've taken a single step, so it's possible to have things really stacked against you.

Which again is fine, this is what the game is selling itself on, but it feels like artificial difficulty in a way that really good hard games don't do.

This sense of randomness also comes back when you get to the mandatory fights; you know you're going to have to set of an alarm and do a security dance (basically you move around the room standing in the right spots (which move) to disarm the alarm. It makes no sense at all, but don't think about it too hard). Monsters of course come to smack you over, and like L4D's hordes they pretty much come out of nowhere. You're given turrets to set up, but because it can be difficult to determine which way the horde is coming, it's difficult to do this properly - I feel like I must be missing something - but subsequent waves do seem to come from almost anywhere.

It makes what should be the crescendo points feel a bit punitive and considering it can take 20-odd minutes to get to them and failure means starting again from scratch it can be a bit frustrating. I believe any sort of matchmaking put into this game is going to be just packed full of toxicity and hate; people making bad pulls or screwing the stealth sections (which is easy to do, the mechanisms aren't well explained, if at all) is just going to get the cyber-bile pumping.

On the other hand, this game does have atmosphere by the bucketload. It's a bit graphically ropy (in an attractive way) in the same way Payday was, but they've absolutely nailed the feeling of disorientation and stress as you're peering down the dirty scope of your half-empty assault rifle in a dark, foggy room, desperately trying to find the thing that's making the noise and is going to hurt you if you're not careful.

I love the MS-DOS terminals, where you need to type in what you're looking for. I love the idea of running a sector query to find out if the key you need is over here or over there, but needing your team mate to call out the serial number for the door you need the key for to find it. Little things like that, little tensions it adds - even peering at the screen in the gloom when nothing is jumping out at you is brilliant. And it's not well utilised, you're never put under pressure in those situations - nothing so far is hanging over your head and you're desperately trying to slam and remotely lock a door to stop that 12-foot acid spitting bastard getting into the room with you.

They want to add more features to it, but right now it feels like everything else in the game. Atmospheric, creepy and under utilised.

It's definitely an experience unlike anything I've ever played before, but I'd love some QoL things like maybe a little icon to let you know you're in melee range for a sneak attack? Things like that. Stuff that stops easy mechanical mistakes when the plan itself has worked flawlessly. Again, it might be me being a filthy n00b, but it feels too much as though firefights descend too fast into chaos. Enemies are speedy and jittery - head shots seem necessary to conserve ammo, but it's hard to him them because of very random movements, and even when you do blast the head off of something, it won't necessarily die.

If they'd slowed it down a little, made it a bit more methodical, I think I'd enjoy it more - but again, my experience is limited right now so who knows. All I know is that the exquisitely oppressive atmosphere and tension sort of falls apart when the enemies arrive, and the methodology feels like it breaks down a little. Clearly they wanted the combat encounters to be running battles, forcing you to move and panicking you by having the monsters do their best to surround you - likely to counterpoint the slow, tense gameplay that is in place much of the rest of the time.

But it feels like it doesn't quite work. For £23 though, I'm definitely going to get my money's worth out of this.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

Len does, though, which makes it all worth it.

You know it.

That sounds, frustrating. Hopefully they'll listen and improve as they go.

I've watched a few streams and the bit you mention about the security dance and random entry points for the enemies, were you using or did you have a motion tracker to see them early as that's what I saw? Or is that moot regards turret placement to assist as still too random?

We've had one guy with the bio-tracker, bit as a device you can't see out much further than 20 metres, and in the areas I've played, the game requires you to group up to activate the security system, and the potential entry points are much further away.

There could be other cues I'm not seeing (hearing?) though. It's also possible that me trying to work out the optimal position of the turrets is completely wrong anyway.

It occurred to me that perhaps the auto-turrets should be used earlier in the level so as to conserve personal ammo for the security sections? I just have to experiment more. I know the game is supposed to be hard, but it is quite frustrating that it can be a long run between attempts.

It's not like you can stay static and bunker up during the alarm sequences; so yeah. It's an interesting puzzle that I'm looking forward to messing around with more.

• Upvote 1

I got this working without the glitches but we ended up with only tweo of us playing it and frankly its just not fun like that. It badly needs matchmaking.

I tried tor refund it but was out of the window for that :( 

I like the atmosphere and the concept , maybe it will turn into something a bit more enjoyable and Ill dip back in.

• Upvote 1