rllmuk

Concrete Genie (PS4) - Street Art & Bullying

Trailer

PSX Panel

From the developer that made Entwined

Life is tough for young Ash – isolated and bullied, it’s only in the discovery that he can bring his paintings to life that things become so much… brighter. And with the small fishing town of Denska now polluted and abandoned, only Ash has the power to cleanse the streets and alleyways with beautiful, living artwork.

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I followed the little info there was on this game at the tail end and beginning of last year. As launch approached all went quiet (expecting a delay) and now I see a mid-October release date, budget price point and virtual silence from the press. I’m reading between the lines but does anyone have any insight?!

• 2 weeks later...

Reviews are out, Overall a solid 7/10. It's still on my shopping list to buy but not on release.

Concrete Genie paints an impressive picture with delightful gameplay and heart warming characters. it's a great way to spend a few hours unleashing your creativity.

A bright and thoughtful exploration of some dark and difficult themes

Most of what Concrete Genie has to offer is fun and beautiful in a sort of childlike way. The game is not particularly difficult, and overcoming a puzzle or combat scenario isn't always satisfying. But it's ultimately still an endearing experience throughout. There's plenty of enjoyment to be found just from the act of exploring, and little hidden secrets along the way help make it worthwhile; I just wish Concrete Genie had more adventure waiting for me.

Short and very sweet, Concrete Genie is a spellbinding experiment in player creativity.

EGM don't like it!

Concrete Genie’s painting tech impresses at first and its heart is certainly in the right place, but the game ultimately proves too aimless to support its already brief running time. Adorning the city in landscapes of your own creation quickly loses its luster as you realize that what you create lacks meaningful interactivity. Even the jarring addition of combat midway through doesn’t do much to counter the sense that Pixelopus couldn’t find a way to build out a full game around a simple gameplay idea.

At times, Concrete Genie can be a little too pleasant, which makes the action-packed conclusion really jarring. Still, the contrast between Ash's fantasy and his reality is truly stunning.

Concrete Genie has a great score and impressive art direction which leave you absolutely jaw-dropped at times. It’s a short game though, and that feels even more so when the game goes away from its core strengths and barrels towards the finish line with lackluster combat sequences.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

After spending quite a few hours in The Outer Worlds time for something much shorter. Looking forward to starting Concrete Genie, it even has a VR mode.

I’d heard of this, but hadn’t seen anything of it until watching the trailer posted above earlier this morning. It looks amazing. My only reservation is that I have no skills or imagination when it comes to drawing. Is this a barrier for enjoying the game, or does it compensate for lack of ability somehow?

29 minutes ago, Stejay said:

I’d heard of this, but hadn’t seen anything of it until watching the trailer posted above earlier this morning. It looks amazing. My only reservation is that I have no skills or imagination when it comes to drawing. Is this a barrier for enjoying the game, or does it compensate for lack of ability somehow?

Not at all. I am utterly lacking in artistic talent and I loved it. The genie are made using templates that you can stretch and the other background stuff is controlled with flicks of the stick.

It is truly a wonderful thing to play and experience.

• Upvote 2

I'm just about to pull the trigger on this as it is on offer, but do I get the regular or deluxe edition?  There is £5 difference and I'm not fussed about the extra theme, digital soundtrack or digital art book.  Basically, should I spend the extra fiver just for the pond brush pack?

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

They're all nice but if you aren't interested in the theme, soundtrack etc then I'd say no.

Thanks.  I wasn't sure if the brushes added much to the gameplay or not.  I'll just buy the regular version.

• 4 weeks later...

Completed. Lovely little game and good fun. You have two control options for painting motion & thumbstick I went with thumbstick in the end.

There is a VR add-on which I have not tried yet.

I was surprised the touchpad didn't get a proper run out on this. If it's not ideal here, that really does show how redundant it is.

Pretty good game overall though. It really does look lovely when you've painted and lit up whole areas. But I think they could have pushed the concept, and some of the other mechanics, a lot further - it's a little slight.

13 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I was surprised the touchpad didn't get a proper run out on this. If it's not ideal here, that really does show how redundant it is.

Pretty good game overall though. It really does look lovely when you've painted and lit up whole areas. But I think they could have pushed the concept, and some of the other mechanics, a lot further - it's a little slight.

Agree using the touchpad to paint would have been easier, motion controls put me off after an hour of waving my hands around.