rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
mr_rmg

Session - spiritual successor to Skate

I cant see a thread about this.

Session is a skateboarding simulation game currently in development by crea-ture Studios.  Its being funded on kickstarter and there is a playable alpha.

Its very much a simulation with some interesting mechanics, for example you carve (steer) with the triggers.

I was a massive Skate fan, indeed played a fair bit with people on here like Big Gus and boozy.

I am happy to report that the alpha is impressive.  Takes a bit of getting used to but I am now really enjoying it and busting some sick lines :)

The devs seem really into it and are fairly active on social media including the reddit sub.

Check it out.  

• Upvote 5

23 hours ago, catinthehat said:

Has anybody tried Skater XL on Steam?  It's still super early access, and only maybe coming to console at some point, but it really does look interesting.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/962730/Skater_XL/

Great that we've got two new skate games on the way, anyway.

This looks even better than Session.  Thanks for sharing.

On 17/08/2019 at 10:24, Boozy The Clown said:

Steam Early Access in September, now where's the Xbox version ?

It says October in that trailer. Really going to be interesting to see which of these comes out being the most fun to play. 

• Upvote 1

What does it mean by “Game preview” when it says Xbox in October?  I’m guessing it’ll mean you needed to be part of the Kickstarter campaign? I hope I can still play it, I need a skateboarding game so much! 

EDIT: I’ve done some googling and it seems it’ll release like PUBG did, in development. 

https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2019/08/13/dropping-in

Roll on October! :) 

The early builds they sent out to Kickstarter backers feel really great, it's definitely got the same fluidity in the way you combine & land tricks as Skate does.  It doesn't control quite the same, you steer/rotate the board with the triggers rather than one of the sticks and that took quite a bit of getting used to.  You also don't have air control:

The biggest change with the new rotation system as a whole is that it is no raw inputs anymore. This means. There is now no way (like in real life :P) to stop your rotation in mid-air or even worse, start spinning in the other way in mid-air. Everything must happen pre-pop!

It feels fucking great though, can't wait for early access.

• Upvote 1

This is out now in Early Access on Steam.  Would love to comment on how it plays but they've fucked over a large proportion of their Kickstarter backers and not given us keys, which I'm not bitter about, despite having backed them from nearly day one at £50 compared to £15.49 for the Early Access purchase , which I'm also not bitter about.

It still looks great and I am not bitter

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

This looks great from what I’ve seen in the discord channel. Seems very different in the way it controls to the Skate series; each stick controls each foot and the shoulder buttons rotate the board? Will take some getting used to after years of playing the Skate games, but I can’t wait for this to drop(in) in the Xbox! 

I love the sound and look of this (though I wonder how long it'll take to get rid of my muscle memory from Skate's controls!), but there's one thing that's disappointing: the lack of a scoring system.

I appreciate that they're not including one because it would detract from the "skating for skating's sake" ethos; the satisfaction is meant to come from setting a self-imposed challenge and landing it for the first time, not from beating your high score. But in gaming, score attacking was such a vital part of the THPS games that it's weird for me to see a skateboarding game without any scoring at all, not even virtual competition judging. (Although admittedly, even in the Skate games, shoehorning in a scoring system was often an awkward fit for their more subdued and realistic tone, and that would apply even more here.)

I mean, who would want to play a flight simulator where you don't get points for flying through hoops and doing aerobatics? What, are you meant to just enjoy the scenery and get satisfaction from operating the controls and landing safely, or something? ;)

Horses for courses.  For me, not having any scoring is a brilliant decision, and I can't wait to get my hands on this.

It's due on Xbox this month, isn't it?

Oh, I see Skater XL is coming to Switch.  That's a curveball.

Has anybody here actually had a chance to play them both on PC to see how they compare?

https://www.vg247.com/2019/10/21/session-delayed-xbox-one/

Unfortunately, at this point, we need still need more time to port Session to Xbox One,” reads the post from Crea-ture Studios. “That being said, we must postpone the Xbox One version release date to late November/early December. We know this sucks and we totally understand as we know you have been waiting to play the game on console for a while now.

We know it’s not great news to hear, but it’s not particularly fun to announce either, especially for a small studio like ours. It is never easy to make such decisions as we know it can have an impact on several levels, so these decisions are never taken lightly.”

How are people getting on with Session? Has anyone else tried Skater XL yet?

I've played maybe an hour or two of each, Skater XL is very bare bones right now and I'm not sure how they're going to meet a console launch of July? There seems to be alot of stuff left to the modding community right now

There's alot more to Session even though it also, but it feels better to just pop kickflips off in. I've also sort of figured out how to do a manual. It does capture what I would have loved if I could actually skate (I have neither the balance not the patience and I'm the wrong side of 35), some cool music and just trying to pull off one trick

I'm utterly useless at lining things up and pulling off more than just a kickflip in either of them though

I managed to figure out how to do rails in Session, which was very pleasing :)

My daughter loves playing Skate 3 because she like messing around with the NPC characters in the game, walking up to them annoying them & running away. She's 9!

Does Session or Skater XL have NPC characters liek Skate 3? Skater XL is coming to PS4 not sure about Session?

Session is coming to XBox One.

Neither of them have NPC's in at the moment, they're very, very bare, though Session does feel more complete.

Ok will stick with Skate 3.