Session - spiritual successor to Skate

• 4 weeks later...

I played the demo for 2 minutes and the controls absolutely exploded my brain.  This is going to take some serious reprogramming.

Also, had my son sitting next to me, and had to turn the sound off because the music's all F**k and N**er this and that.  What a bizarre choice.

Spent some time with Session tonight, trying some different control schemes and just generally messing about. I really appreciate what they’re trying to do with it, but it’s not for me in its current state.

Hopefully this early access period will get them all the feedback they need to make it into a great game, but I don’t have the patience to stick with it right now. I’ll try it again in a few months. 

Now, when do we get to try Skater XL on a console?

44 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Spent some time with Session tonight, trying some different control schemes and just generally messing about. I really appreciate what they’re trying to do with it, but it’s not for me in its current state.

Hopefully this early access period will get them all the feedback they need to make it into a great game, but I don’t have the patience to stick with it right now. I’ll try it again in a few months. 

Now, when do we get to try Skater XL on a console?

July 7th

34 minutes ago, wev said:

That's a shame, I'm looking forward to seeing how big the jump is from the current build to their 1.0 build as, imo, it's just a tech demo right now

Oh, that's not sounding good.  But I guess we've been waiting so long for a new skate game, another year won't hurt.  I do wish MS/EA would make Skate 2 work on the Xbox One though, as it was the best in the series IMO.  3 is fine, but the environments just aren't as interesting as 2.

Are there ramps in Skater XL?  I couldn't find a single halfpipe or mini-ramp in Session last night. 

1 hour ago, catinthehat said:

Oh, that's not sounding good.  But I guess we've been waiting so long for a new skate game, another year won't hurt.  I do wish MS/EA would make Skate 2 work on the Xbox One though, as it was the best in the series IMO.  3 is fine, but the environments just aren't as interesting as 2.

Are there ramps in Skater XL?  I couldn't find a single halfpipe or mini-ramp in Session last night. 

Right now? Well it's Early Access still and they seem to be holding everything back for the 1.0 release, there's a skate park with banking but unless they've added stuff to the beta (which I've not used recently as I play with the modding communities parks) then, not at the moment.

Me saying it's a tech demo is probably doing what's to come a disservice, from the console release unveil trailer they show alot more content than is currently available in its early access build. 

Interestingly, in Session you should be able to add mini ramps as you play, there's a pop up menu on PC that lets you add stuff but there wasn't a huge amount of content there.

I'm honestly excited by both, though I prefer the feel of Session.

8 hours ago, catinthehat said:

Same here.  I was underwhelmed by the Session demo, but I really do hope they can get it to the point where it's a really playable and fully featured game.

They’ve been gradually adding things and have a big update planned after the Xbox release. It’s getting released as part of the game preview programme(PC and Xbox will be the same build),so it’s more or less an alpha/beta game. We need to look at it like we did with PUBG. 

Though saying that I’m not sure it’ll ever be as fully featured as the Skate series.  They seem to be focusing on making a raw skating simulation, where the emphasis is finding a line and getting it perfect, capturing it and sharing it. Almost like make your own fun.  They do plan to add multiplayer though and there are challenges on the PC version. 

11 hours ago, catinthehat said:

Seems to be some skatepark ramp action in Skater XL. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about on XBox but you should be able to turn that challenges tick list off. In the menu's should be a list of them, just uncheck them and they disappear from your HUD.

But yes, it takes alot of work, I've played six hours and have only just got my head around pulling a grind, can't land them though unless their 50-50's...

It started to click last night. I did a 180 from the start point then there's small concrete ledge next to a wheelchair ramp. I just set the marker down and practised for an hour. Basic ollie to 5050. Then 50. Then nose grinds. Then boardslides. Before I moved on I'd managed a kickflip backside tailslide along it.

Then spent another hour at the Brooklyn Banks handrails learning backside boardslides on it. 

A very intimidating game due to the massive number of tricks available and the precision required to pull off even the basics but it had me giving it the big Yeahs when I pulled something I was setting out to do.

It truly is the Dark Souls of skateboarding games and makes Skate look ridiculous in the same way Skate made the Tony Hawks games look ridiculous. 

The satisfaction in landing something clean that you intended to pull off rather than mashing buttons or randomly twiddling the sticks is priceless. The subtlety and depth of control it gives you means you can actually style out your tricks rather than simply activating a pre baked animation.

I know I'm going to love this the more I play and learn it's intricacies. 

That's exactly it. I spent an hour the other day at the Police Precinct trying to grind some rails on some stairs. Got on them but just couldn't stick the landing, first time I managed it was a real fuck yeah moment, but still can't do it consistently.

• 4 weeks later...

Skater XL is out today, its not £31 on PC compared to half that if you'd have bought it prior to today, I'm patching it as we speak.

I'm kind of anxious about it, because they hadn't provided any content updates for a long, long time, and now its getting its 1.0 launch I'm expecting at the very least, a huge improvement on the QoL side of things as Session was handing it its arse in that respect (and felt much more technical to play)

20200728170116_1.thumb.jpg.77e92a23cabf37302d1cd146ecbd3a08.jpg

It's... still fairly bare. There's at least a HUD now so you know what trick you're pulling off, there's four official maps and some "challenges" (a big list of tricks that you can learn). Vert doesn't seem to work

I bought Skater XL this week after Session didn’t seem to click with me. I’ve only just had a chance to play. I’m on Xbox. It feels a little more natural coming from years and years of Skate.  I think I’ll have fun with it, but after having a few beers and thinking about this and Session it makes me feel like a Russian heroin addict, with EA Skate being the drug I need and Session and Skater XL being some janky Krokodil type substitute, that I’m just going to have to pump into my veins because Skate 4 is a million years away.  

I don’t think we knew how lucky we were with the EA Skate series. I think I’d just take a re make of Skate 2 right now.

Skater XL got bought on Friday. Between it and Session it's far more forgiving in letting you land tricks and roll away. The environments are far less restictive and the controls depite being almost identical are also less harsh.

Both games are lacking any "game" features and are built strictly for those who enjoy the purity of the sport and want a playground to spend countless hours toying with.

That's totally my experience, but I also find Skater XL less satisfying, I throw in a grind and it just does it.

On the other, it's also nice just being able to do stuff. Though I just cannot get jumping from one pipe to another in an arc to work

On 31/07/2020 at 23:09, Dan said:

I bought Skater XL this week after Session didn’t seem to click with me. I’ve only just had a chance to play. I’m on Xbox. It feels a little more natural coming from years and years of Skate.  I think I’ll have fun with it, but after having a few beers and thinking about this and Session it makes me feel like a Russian heroin addict, with EA Skate being the drug I need and Session and Skater XL being some janky Krokodil type substitute, that I’m just going to have to pump into my veins because Skate 4 is a million years away.  

I don’t think we knew how lucky we were with the EA Skate series. I think I’d just take a re make of Skate 2 right now.

If you have an Xbox One X then Skate 3 is backwards-compatible and runs in 4k at 60fps.

It looks really great still, in a clean way: