If you could bring back any TV series from the dead?

For Dungeons & Dragons fans, there was a final episode script written but had never been made. This got uploaded to the internet for fans to read.

There’s been a fan made episode of this script made using a mix of ways to make it as authentic as possible. Have to say it’s a very valiant attempt!

Dark Place is the obvious one, it still holds up perfectly and would still feel fresh today. Never seen anything quite like it since, you get the odd thing here and there like Black Dynamite which also do well. It's really weird to me how popular spoofs are and yet any good ones are so incredibly rare.

Personally, I would really love to see another series of the inbetweeners with them now in their early 30s and still not winning at life. However I am resigned to the fact it probably couldn’t work. 

16 hours ago, Goemon said:

For Dungeons & Dragons fans, there was a final episode script written but had never been made. This got uploaded to the internet for fans to read.

There’s been a fan made episode of this script made using a mix of ways to make it as authentic as possible. Have to say it’s a very valiant attempt!

This was surprisingly watchable and better than no resolution at all I have to say. Venger sticks out like a sore thumb (not that he does a terrible job) but Peter Cullen does have a very unique voice that's probably hard to mimic unless you already sound a bit like him.

50 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

Personally, I would really love to see another series of the inbetweeners with them now in their early 30s and still not winning at life. However I am resigned to the fact it probably couldn’t work. 

I've read interviews where they've said the humour just wouldn't translate as well if they're actual adults, which I'd probably agree with. I think the knowingly bad things they say to each other are acceptable as they've got the caveat that idiot teenagers talk like that, but thirtysomethings shouldn't call each other benders. I think it's a failure of imagination on their party to say something could never work, but it would probably be a weird version of the original characters being transplanted into a different setup – I'm guessing a stag do would be the go-to inspiration for a new film, but I'm not sure what life situation would mean they all spend enough time together to have six separate stories for a series. Maybe I've over thought this.

Anyway, I'm still convinced that TOTP could work. TV lacks live shared experiences now and with some creativity I could see how that could be an event piece of programming. You don't really get shows you look forward to during the day like you did, I guess for obvious reasons.

21 hours ago, Don Wiskerando said:

KickStart.   There must be an audience for this sort of thing.

Get some amateurs on trial bikes and get breaking bones.   The format would be like Extreme Sports MasterChef.

And don't fuck with the theme tune.

Spot on dude.

Knightmare. It would probably be too expensive, and it's hard to know exactly where to pitch it in terms of whether you have adult contestants and rely on the nostalgia factor or keep it as kids, but this show would be amazing to revive.

Also, remake Babylon 5. I've recently started a rewatch of the series, and with today's production values and FX (and a new pass through the scripts to sort out the bad dialogue) it would be astonishing. Enough people haven't watched the show that they could get away with it. J Michael Straczynski could also reinstate the pacing of the original 5 year plan, rather than having to condense 2 years' worth into season 4 due to the risk of cancellation and having a weak final season as a result. It may be heresy to replace the likes of Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurasik, but I'm sure the fans would get on board if the show was good. The above change to the structure would mean that the redo would be worth watching for existing fans, who wouldn't just be watching the exact same thing again, and there are a few bad standalone episodes - particularly in season 1 - that could be junked completely and replaced with new stories.

On 06/04/2021 at 18:31, GamesGamesGames said:

Monkey Dust.

Would love to see a new series of this but dread it. The original producer, Harry Thompson, died around the time this was going out. I don't think anyone would be able to recapture the spirit of it. Mind you, it's difficult to imagine a show like this on telly today. It was very near-the-knuckle comedy, a bit too much so in the case of the potential suicide bombers who were on the show not long before the 7th July 2005 attacks. I think that's why only series one came out on DVD. 

It highlights how much comedy has changed in 15+ years since this was on too. This goes out of its way to be as offensive and mean as possible, it's very dark and at times genuinely shocking. Today people don't really want to see this level of nastiness, or certainly not to this extent. 

Watched all of them a few years back and some is still great. The Fran Chappell sketches in series 3, a woman who finds minor celebrity when he daughter goes missing. It's very mean-spirited but sends up ITV-style non-celebs of the time wickedly. 

And this, a full five-ish years before The Expendables:

1 hour ago, Vimster said:

Would love to see a new series of this but dread it. The original producer, Harry Thompson, died around the time this was going out. I don't think anyone would be able to recapture the spirit of it. Mind you, it's difficult to imagine a show like this on telly today. It was very near-the-knuckle comedy, a bit too much so in the case of the potential suicide bombers who were on the show not long before the 7th July 2005 attacks. I think that's why only series one came out on DVD. 

It highlights how much comedy has changed in 15+ years since this was on too. This goes out of its way to be as offensive and mean as possible, it's very dark and at times genuinely shocking. Today people don't really want to see this level of nastiness, or certainly not to this extent. 

Watched all of them a few years back and some is still great. The Fran Chappell sketches in series 3, a woman who finds minor celebrity when he daughter goes missing. It's very mean-spirited but sends up ITV-style non-celebs of the time wickedly. 

And this, a full five-ish years before The Expendables:

That is great! I was sure I’d watched all the Monkey Dusts but I don’t remember that one though, skewers Blackhawk Down nicely.

Honestly I'd really only be interested in bringing something back that got cancelled and never finished.

However, i don't think i'd want them to come back in 2021. Just wished they continued at the time.

Angel was one that kinda had a decent ending but it could have gone further.

Home Improvement as well, even though it did 8 or 9 seasons I wanted another.

Bad Influence, i was gutted when this stopped airing. Same with GamesMaster but i think it was getting tired by that point anyway.

Stuff with cliff hangers annoys me when they are never continued but nothing springs to top my head.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip would be top of my list though I don't know how well it'd work now (as opposed to being continued at the time).

The West Wing (which was mentioned earlier in the thread) , would be a close 2nd and would still work in 2021 too.  Bring back original cast some in post, some advisory roles / episode cameos, introduce new ones and a new president...

In terms of things that were cancelled and Firefly is the obvious one, but with the film it at least had some closure, I think I'd prefer...

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (but again a continuation more than picking it up again now)

On 21/12/2017 at 13:01, JoeK said:

Well, my vote is for a US comedy drama series called ED.

But I don’t want any new episodes, just for someone with sense to sort out the legal wrangling about the damn soundtrack so I can see it all again, as it’s one of the most charming pieces of TV I’ve seen.

This made me think of Wonderfalls which I bloody love.

On 08/04/2021 at 10:18, Eighthours said:

Knightmare. It would probably be too expensive, and it's hard to know exactly where to pitch it in terms of whether you have adult contestants and rely on the nostalgia factor or keep it as kids, but this show would be amazing to revive.

Also, remake Babylon 5. I've recently started a rewatch of the series, and with today's production values and FX (and a new pass through the scripts to sort out the bad dialogue) it would be astonishing. Enough people haven't watched the show that they could get away with it. J Michael Straczynski could also reinstate the pacing of the original 5 year plan, rather than having to condense 2 years' worth into season 4 due to the risk of cancellation and having a weak final season as a result. It may be heresy to replace the likes of Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurasik, but I'm sure the fans would get on board if the show was good. The above change to the structure would mean that the redo would be worth watching for existing fans, who wouldn't just be watching the exact same thing again, and there are a few bad standalone episodes - particularly in season 1 - that could be junked completely and replaced with new stories.

Reading this made me think about Knightmare and how it would work now. Obviously technology has improved leaps and bounds so they could make it look loads better. But that made me think, wasn’t the format kind of dictated because of that limitation? Like, to get the contestant into the scenes, they had to greenscreen them in and there was no way be able to show them the digitally built sets properly. The solution to that was to have them blindfolded and guided by a team that could see it.  While that did actually work for the game format - having a team guide the blind player - I wonder now if they had today’s technology they would have just VRd the whole thing and had the team all in there.

Im not sure what I think about doing it that way. The dynamic of having a team in the studio making all the decisions and interacting with Treguard did add something. And even revamping the looks, I imagine (unless they used very similar settings in most games) it’d be a lot easier production wise to keep it as is. And is still be interested see them revive it that way. But. I’m also very curious what they could do with a similar format and just drop the entire team into the world via vr. Still have actor characters in there playing other VR characters. I think there could still be a way to connect a player outside as well, like maybe had Treguards room a library or have access to some other detail they can’t see but need. Or the group in VR is split and the person outside needs to help them find each other. 

Maybe the VR idea doesn’t necessarily have to be a branded as Knightmare either, could still be interesting if the logistics of creating it wouldn’t be massively expensive