rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Flub

Doki Doki Literature Club

What the fuck did I just play?

A masterpiece. Right down to the very last second. Free on steam. Yes. I know what it looks like. It's not. Just play it. Don't go looking for spoilers. It only takes a few hours.

Ignore what it looks like. Just play it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/698780/Doki_Doki_Literature_Club/

*Edited to remove even the hint of a spoiler*

Just Monika.

• Upvote 5

I got recommended this as part of the... Recommending... Thing Steam does. The first review was "what the **** did I just play scared to go to sleep now".

Can't wait to give this a go. 

I still haven't recovered from  

Sayori telling you she's always been depressed. It hit hard and I almost stopped playing at that point because an entire game about that would have been very, very uncomfortable for me. Glad I kept playing though

Don't read any spoilers until you've finished playing.

Flub you might want to edit your first post as even knowing about that is kind of a spoiler for anyone who knows nothing about the game, and its at its best when you know nothing about it.

For anyone who hasn't played Doki Doki, the less you know the better, just play it, and be prepared to invest a few hours.

Amazing game, I always meant to start a thread on here but never got around to it! It does take some commitment in the early part, but its testament to the quality of the writing and the characters that you actually get into it regardless. Then it just gets better and better. For the love of god avoid reading any spoilers about the game if you havent played it.

Endgame spoilers:

I knew there was some kind of dark shit coming thanks to the interwebs, but it was still really effective from the first twist onwards. Although I wasn't creeped out some of the moments were genuinely shocking, I think you can guess which ones! It's great how you get attached to the girls and then feel guilty about your choices. And then your saves get taken away too removing your safety blanket! I was so into it, just wondering what the heck was coming next, and that general sense of unease that you know something bad is always coming.

The final end was just brilliant, warped to this incredible atmospheric place, and then you learn the game itself is like twisting the harem genre on its head, where you are forced to be the one who loves, and exposing the creepy nature of it all. And then all the game file stuff, just brilliant, and then the final final ending which was quite emotional. My mind was blown thinking about all the possibilities manipulating the game files, and other choices that you could make, but sadly there isn't that much variation, though there is some cool secret endings and random events you can watch on YouTube if you can't be arsed playing through again.

Plus there is even a hidden story in the game, which I thought was bullshit when I saw video titles talking about it, but there is actually some truth in it after all. The game theorists YouTube channel has some explanations, not all I agree with but some you can't deny.

Overall what a clever and well written game, and all by just one guy too! Really, everyone should play Doki Doki to the end, and its free so there is no excuse!

• Upvote 3

I thought about saying very little but look at it. 99% of people who look at that steam page without being told there's more to it will go "Dating sim. Pass". Even if you tell them it's a must play game. They'd never get past "It's a dating sim"

The last part of your spoiler. I just watched those videos. Wow. The rabbit hole goes fucking deep. Can't wait to see what 2018 brings from these devs.

I also love the song that plays over the end credits.

13 hours ago, Flub said:

I thought about saying very little but look at it. 99% of people who look at that steam page without being told there's more to it will go "Dating sim. Pass". Even if you tell them it's a must play game. They'd never get past "It's a dating sim"

The last part of your spoiler. I just watched those videos. Wow. The rabbit hole goes fucking deep. Can't wait to see what 2018 brings from these devs.

I also love the song that plays over the end credits.

Yeah its true that the game is in this weird place where the very best impact you could get from it is from knowing absolutely nothing beforehand, yet then 99 percent of people would immediately be turned off by it, even if they play it for half an hour they could just give up. And yes its practically impossible to go into it fresh because its exploded in popularity so much. I picked it up because so many Lets play channels were covering it, and from the titles you could tell it wasn't what it seemed.

It baffles me that the developer didn't charge anything for it. It's a great game, well polished. Even charging just a few bucks he'd probably be a mmillionaire already. I bet he's kicking himself! Though whatever game he does next is bound to sell like hotcakes if its anywhere near as interesting.

Huge spoilers ahead:

Did anyone not choose Yuri first time around? I chose her both "rounds" and it turns out it works better if you pick her anyway as a lot of the prescripted stuff revolves around her. It would be a bit weird to pick say Natsuke and then have to hang out with Yuri anyway. I think its designed so Yuri is the most appealing anyway and the dev banked on her being the fave, so her arc has a bigger impact.

When she stabs herself it genuinely shocked me, of course you know some thing terrible is going to happen but that came out of the blue! With Sayori you kinda know already what's going to happen but Yuri is so unpredictable. The second half of the game is so great because you always have this foreboding that some really nasty things are gonna happen.

Can you actually spend Sunday with Natsuke or Sayori?

Another cool video to check out is secrets and Easter eggs on YouTube, there's two videos by one guy which have a lot of cool little touches you may have missed. Can't remember the name but it has lots of views.

Also my fave track is the writing poems music, so catchy!

OK DONE. What an unexpected experience~

12 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Huge spoilers ahead:

Hide contents

Can you actually spend Sunday with Natsuke or Sayori?

Spoiler

I chose Natsuki, and she comes over and makes cupcakes. You get a brief insight into her home-life situation from the discussion.

Second time around (post-deletion) I tried to replicate choices from the first go but it seems to railroad you towards Yuri.

• Upvote 1

OK so playing this has absolutely devastated my Steam recommendations queue. It's ALL Visual Novels now.

Avoid all spoilers if you've not played the game.

Spoiler

I absolutely adored this game and finished it in the early hours of this morning, and haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. It's a shame you get a heads-up that things are not as they seem from the warnings before you start the game, but I love that the developers have gone out of their way to point out that this might not be comfortable for some people.

As soon as Sayori reveals that she's been suffering with depression for years things start going off the rails. I find it especially interesting that the protagonist deals with her depression so terribly. Regardless of what dialogue option you choose, the overarching message is completely off. I wonder if there's something I've missed there.

Once Monika ups the neuroses of the other characters everything gets fascinating. The secret poems are just magnificent, Natsuki flits between writing to you in Base64 and handing you a secret message about Yuri's mental health - which hits with such clarity and humanity at a part of the game where everything else is completely fucked up), and Monika's inability to interact with her own world correctly - leaving you stranded in the classroom with a corpse for an entire weekend - is incredible. Not to mention the nervous breakdown/fever dream nature of what the characters begin to talk about - the moment that Natsuki is frank about her father's reaction to keeping manga books in the house before the dialogue flitting back to the mundane dating-sim style stuff was like witnessing a cry for help. For someone who doesn't exist. For someone who isn't even real, as far as the game is concerned.

I'm so happy this exists. It's gimmicks and twists but I don't care, I can live with being a sucker if being a sucker is rewarded this well.

• Upvote 3

The recommendations are a problem after this.  On the Steam Store Page you should see an  'Edit Your Preferences' button like below:

Steam.png.2528e7d345f52f8d9753b13c636d0d22.png

From there you can select up to three tags to not see again.  'Anime', 'Visual Novel', 'Creepy Waifu Bullshit'.  Those should help you not see so many VN's.

Oooh, thanks for the heads up. Just finished the first Danganronpa and am on Virtues Last Reward, this should be fun based on the reactions on here!

Just finished(?) this. Thanks for the recommendation.

Spoiler

I was lucky enough not to have any of the game spoiled for me, this thread was the first I heard of it. It was fairly obvious early on how the tone would radically shift, but the way it eventually did was unexpected. I enjoyed it from start to finish, with the first subtle hints at the dark themes present in the list of words, the increasingly disturbing poems, and then Sayori's suicide and everything that happens afterwards.

I especially enjoyed the way the game turns not only the genre on its head, but the way it plays with the features of the software itself. For example, what happens sometimes if you attempt to read the history after the game spits a load of Mojibake at you, or after Yuri ends herself and the game forces you to 'skip' the whole weekend, watching her the entire time. When Monika corners you, and leads you towards her character file, with its thumbnail and effects on the game after you remove it.

It's a fascinating creation, and I feel I owe the developer something having played it. I should check out their site to see if I can donate, this doesn't deserve to be a free title.

10/10

I don't even know where to start, so ... I'll just not. This is incredible!

Spoiler

It's an example of just how writing for an interactive medium is so different to writing for a passive one, and why games should simply cast aside all this desire to be anything other than what they excel at. Having it know that it's a game, and to read your PC? Ridiculously clever, and definitely something that stands out, especially when Monika even calls out as to how the more tech savvy youngsters out there handle things differently than older generations did. Wonderful stuff! 

Do what everyone in this thread is saying, people, and just dive in as blindly as you can.

when you finish the game, i recommend you search the game title on youtube.

Currently playing this but 

I've spent the past few minutes watching it auto scroll through a load of broken text (like when a fonts not compatible) when Yuri stabs herself the screens even changed colour a few times

43 minutes ago, wev said:

Currently playing this but 

Hide contents

I've spent the past few minutes watching it auto scroll through a load of broken text (like when a fonts not compatible) when Yuri stabs herself the screens even changed colour a few times

Spoiler

Press 'skip' and it goes a lot faster.

23 minutes ago, kittygotwet said:

To those that have finished it how long does it take to get through ? Really hoping to finish it off tonight 

Spoiler

Steam says I played for four hours, I played it across two evenings.

• Upvote 1

Are you supposed to keep playing this? 

Spoiler

As in, replay after the first loop? Is it now shorter? Do you have to go through it multiple times? I'll have to give it a break if so, I've pretty much given myself RSI as it is (after an hour and a bit of it). I did have a quick look in and saw it's purposely glitched due to prior events, but I'm not interested enough to keep going if there are several loops of similar length. 

I didn't get the true ending myself because, well, it's just not happening. Went on Youtube and looked it up and there are some other relevant videos that should be obvious from the search results.