rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Nasty

Morrissey's December Speech

Not a fan at all, but I've always found Morrissey's interviews good value for money and always considered him to be self-aware and at least having a sense of his own ridiculousness.

I'm really taken aback by how defensive and unable to take criticism he is in this video. I never thought I'd hear Morrissey, of all people, refer to journalists as "haters", for goodness sake, and his moaning about his record not being played because of some organised conspiracy against him is just pitiful, paranoid and completely off base. The stuff he says about journalists having an agenda against him is simply based on his new record not being very good and his complete lack of relevance to anyone under 40, not some carefully constructed masterplan to undermine him by sending negative messages to his fanbase via the music press.

Concluding his miserable little moan with a sickeningly cynical message to the victims of the Manchester bombing completely undermined any credibility he might have had left. 

Terrible cunt.

It's an awful speech in which I have literally  no idea what the fuck he's talking about. His new album is far from his best yet it still gained loads of publicity. 

23 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I'm really taken aback by how defensive and unable to take criticism he is in this video. I never thought I'd hear Morrissey, of all people, refer to journalists as "haters", for goodness sake

Except he's always been a narcissist who will reliably spout "controversial" things to get attention, so why would this surprise you? This is just the language of Milo Yiannopoulos, Katie Hopkins, and the like, and although he may not make a living off it I would say he is of that "type". I like him as an artist, not so much as a human being.

The difference is that when The Smiths were shitting out solid gold (thank you The Darkness) week after week, month after month, year after year Morrissey didn't give a shit what the press thought. Now he apparently cares about a Guardian review, or whether he gets playlisted on Radio 2. He then tries to mitigate the fact that his new record is rubbish by drawing our attention to some German website where he makes some dodgy comments about sex pests. It's utterly bizarre. I'd never even heard about this interview but read loads about his new album, and seen him on Jools Holland etc. He's fooling no one and knows this album just won't do. 

2 hours ago, clippa said:

That bloody book stood there like a fucking darts trophy :lol:

Oh this? Haha, I was reading it just now, brilliant, haven't you?

40 minutes ago, Liamness said:

Except he's always been a narcissist who will reliably spout "controversial" things to get attention, so why would this surprise you? 

It surprised me because saying "haters" about your critics is so Youtubey and juvenile, I really thought Morrissey was more creative and intellectual than that. Where is the arch Wildean putdown and flourish? This just seemed so depressingly normal and flat, for him.

34 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The difference is that when The Smiths were shitting out solid gold (thank you The Darkness) week after week, month after month, year after year Morrissey didn't give a shit what the press thought. Now he apparently cares about a Guardian review, or whether he gets playlisted on Radio 2. He then tries to mitigate the fact that his new record is rubbish by drawing our attention to some German website where he makes some dodgy comments about sex pests. It's utterly bizarre. I'd never even heard about this interview but read loads about his new album, and seen him on Jools Holland etc. He's fooling no one and knows this album just won't do. 

This is all spot on, I think. It's pure damage limitation and he knows it. Painting himself as a victim is the only way out of the drubbing that his new record has received. Even friends of mine who don't like or care about Morrissey commented on how bad he was on Later.

I'm a huge fan of The Smiths (and Morrissey's very early solo work) but as Liamness says Morrissey has always be a narcissist with a distorted world view. The difference was for a brief period in the 1980s his distorted worldview seemed relevant (particularly to angst ridden teenagers). 

He has also always cared what people think while pretending not to - why else spend years penning letters to music papers in the '70s or feuding with biographers or writing songs called "Journalists Who Lie". 

His self-importance has always been his undoing.  His belief in his own opinions have often seen him come out with some utter hateful drivel and that seems to have gotten worse (or his relevance diminished) since his self imposed exile. 

As much as I love the Smiths, and always will, Morrissey says nothing to me about my life, and hasn't since I was about 18.

• Upvote 1

I loved The Smiths and still adore Johnny Marr but unlike Marr, Morrissey seems to have frantically rowed his world view out somewhere between the mid Atlantic and the year 1950. He sounds like my Daily Mail reading Dad nowadays, god rest his soul. 

• Upvote 1

On 31/12/2017 at 03:33, Nequests said:

I wish all The Smiths' songs were available as instrumentals. This is about a million times better without Morrissey's drivel all over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pZqMnyKs_M

Hmph. It won't embed for some reason.

That's an extreme example, in fairness! One of Marr's prettiest arrangements combined with  one of Morrissey's most throwaway lyrics (up to that point, at least). The former was apparently gutted when he heard what was going to be sung over the top of it. I quite like it for being so contradictory though.

Morrissey just seems to be doing that thing where 'controversial' types veer further towards their more cuntish traits as they get older. I guess it's a combination of increasingly lacking the awareness to judge how they'll come across in this day and age, becoming more conservative in many respects, frustration at feeling ignored and irrelevant etc. See also: John Lydon. Basically Morrissey is now 'Bengali in High Heels'/"Reggae is vile" Morrissey 24 hours a day instead of just letting him peek through the curtains once in a while before forcing him back inside then hoping everyone forgets he was ever there.

• Upvote 1

I often wonder how that little fade-out-and-back-in during the intro came about. I always imagine some studio engineer absent-mindedly leaning on the controls and they just decided to leave it in.

6 minutes ago, Nequests said:

I often wonder how that little fade-out-and-back-in during the intro came about. I always imagine some studio engineer absent-mindedly leaning on the controls and they just decided to leave it in.

IIRC it was Johnny's suggestion after he heard another song being played back in another room and someone came out the door. He wanted the listener to feel like they'd heard a snippet of something and liked it so went and "opened" the door to hear more. No idea if that's the truth but that's the story I recall.

• Upvote 1

I watched this and wasn't surprised by it. He's been drifting that way for the last 20 or so years, each album weaker than the last (although I have a soft spot for that Spent All Day In Bed single, ironically). He always puts himself at odds with the world then gets all offended when people call him out, belying that veneer of aloofness that did well for him initially. He's become more bitter and resentful with each passing year, and there's part of me that just can't look away. So I guess I'm part of the problem, paying attention. Like others here I love The Smiths, and his first couple of solo albums are still a good listen, maybe that's why I feel invested in the story, as depressing as it is. There was a period, especially post-Smiths, where he'd give good interview, his off-kilter views made for good reading, but as the years went by he just got worse and worse. Sad.

Another (huge) fan here but I'm not going to defend any of this, or some of the statements he's made in recent years. (I've not even watched the vid above.) We likely won't find out until after he's gone* but something happened to him around 2008/2009 to turn him as bitter as he has gotten. Look to the songs to see the change in him. From the achingly beautiful 'Dear God Please Help Me' on 2006's 'Ringleader of the Tormentors' to the angry bile of 'I'm Okay By Myself' on 2009's 'Years of Refusal'.

Before that he would be controversial but not offensive, contrary but not obstinate and although his complaints about records labels/journalists/radio DJ's stretch as far back as 'Hand in Glove' there was always the sense that it was part of "the game" - moan, get headlines, no such thing as bad publicity etc - but afterward he really seemed to be huffing his own fumes.

The increasing presence of his nephew, Sam Etsy Rayner, in his career - it's his Youtube channel this drivel was posted to and he was responsible for the abysmal 'Kiss Me A Lot' video' - is blamed in some quarters but this marked decline was in evidence long before he came on the scene.

*I'm *still* fascinated by the loyalty that he gets from co-worker's/lovers/family/employees. For someone who cuts ties brutally and publicly, there's never been a kiss n' tell or an expose or a confidence betrayed.

I was given his Autobiography for Christmas, and whilst I'm led to believe it's a bit of a ramble, I'm still looking forward to reading his side of the story after reading Johnny Marr's book last year. One thing is abundantly clearly already though, the contrast between the two. Marr's book was largely upbeat, with the management/label/legal woes portrayed with a mixture of sadness and disappointment rather than bitterness, but generally Marr still comes over as happy where he's got to and loves what he's doing. I don't get that at all from Morrissey.

'Autobiography' is a good read; much less "Needless to say I had the last laugh." than I expected. It's at it's best when it's talking about his early life - some of the family anecdotes are hilarious and is, unsurprisingly, at it's worst when he relives The Court Case. But even in the latter half when he's an established 'legacy' artist there is some good stuff.

Fuck Morrissey and fuck giving him the attention he craves. I mean, if I hear a plane has crashed into his skull I might give it a read but otherwise I'm just going to pretend he doesn't exist from here on out.

I've been sorting ouy my CDs lately, I hope he hasn't devalued my Smiths CD box set as I was planning to get it on eBay because it goes for decent money.

Also, what a bell end. The irony of the man who wrote "Meat is Murder" becoming a gammon.

• Upvote 3

He was always a gammon. His 1986 interview includes such gems as 

Reggae, for example, is to me the most racist music in the entire world. It's an absolute total glorification of black supremacy... There is a line when defense of one's race becomes an attack on another race and, because of black history and oppression, we realise quite clearly that there has to be a very strong defence. But I think it becomes very extreme sometimes."

And 

Obviously to get on Top Of The Pops these days, one has to be, by law, black. I think something political has occurred among Michael Hurl and his friends and there has been a hefty pushing of all these black artists and all this discofied nonsense into the Top 40. I think, as a result, that very aware younger groups that speak for now are being gagged."

Interviewer: You seem to be saying that you believe that there is some sort of black pop conspiracy being organised to keep white indie groups down.

Moz: "Yes, I really do."

All that changed is that he gives far more interviews these days and feels free to max the cuntishness, and it's impossible to wave away his bile as some kind of act in a way that some might have done in the 80s and even 90s. 

On 07/06/2018 at 16:46, Nequests said:

Fuck Morrissey and fuck giving him the attention he craves. I mean, if I hear a plane has crashed into his skull I might give it a read but otherwise I'm just going to pretend he doesn't exist from here on out.

Double-decker bus surely...

\I'm sorry

• Upvote 4