It's a mode for Paladins, not a mod.

The TLDR seems to be:

• Free
  • Coming this year
  • 100 players
  • team-based
  • maps are 300 times the square footage of typical Paladins siege map
  • fantasy setting
  • players spawn, ride mounts to scout out loot and pickups, track zeppelins for legendary drops
  • hero abilities

The team focus with mounts and hero abilities at least makes it a slightly different take. Paladins does play pretty well so it's not something to immediately write off, but using Battlegrounds in the title is a bit on the nose. Edit: Actually, they did just patch into Paladins a card based system very similar to Battlefront 2's progression, which is clearly P2W and pissed a lot of players off, so maybe this is something to immediately write off. 

10 minutes ago, DC LEMON said:

I enjoy regular Paladins a lot. Its playerbase isn’t huge, though, and I’m not sure if this is a good thing for that part of the game.

If this mode works, Overwatch will have to jump on the bandwagon too. 100 Hanzos. :ph34r:

Out of interest, how big is the player base? 

On PC the playerbase is pretty decent - 26k people are playing it on Steam alone right now, with today's peak at 30k. You can also play it directly from the Hi-Rez launcher, so I imagine that number is a fair bit higher. 

From Eurogamer:

Paladins already combines some of the best of 2015's card battling gameplay and 2016's hero shooter mechanics, so the addition of 2017's battle royale gameplay makes some kind of sense.

:lol:

12 minutes ago, Radish said:

On PC the playerbase is pretty decent - 26k people are playing it on Steam alone right now, with today's peak at 30k. You can also play it directly from the Hi-Rez launcher, so I imagine that number is a fair bit higher. 

From Eurogamer:

:lol:

Interesting. A decent number of players then. 

Was bound to happen eventually. "Lets combine the two biggest game types" 

I've played a lot of Paladins and a lot of Fortnite. Not sure how the Battlegrounds game mode will feel from a FPS perspective. Big part of the game being able to peak around corners using the 3rd person. 

2 minutes ago, Bishimitsu said:

Was bound to happen eventually. "Lets combine the two biggest game types" 

I've played a lot of Paladins and a lot of Fortnite. Not sure how the Battlegrounds game mode will feel from a FPS perspective. Big part of the game being able to peak around corners using the 3rd person. 

There is a first person mode for PUBG. 

48 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

@ravnazCompletely unrelated - how's DRG Initiative doing? I saw Jamie do a talk about the game + Twitch integration at Nordic Game last year and it was super interesting. Haven't had time to try the game yet but love the concept. :)

Hi @Bojangle - we're doing alright, thanks!  Came out into Steam EA pre-xmas, we've got some regulars that play, so now looking to develop the game further, get more players etc...

33 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Has it? I'm probably not the best person to ask given our game is launching on Early Access at the end of the month. :P

Cool - Please let me know more info!  Feel free to PM.

40 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

I think a big part of the PUBG/Fortnite experience is scrounging for loot. Not sure a hero shooter take on the same thing is going to work. With no loot it's just a big free-for-all with no respawn, right?

I find it's one of the more boring and mundane aspects of these games which is why I prefer Fortnite over PUBG; the process of finding weapons is much faster in the former and shifts focus on the action instead.

I won't be touching this one with a barge pole though, playing Paladins feels like I'm infringing on copyright laws lol. I'd rather go back to Battleborn or Gigantic.

• 5 months later...